How do you deal with the Holidays?

JAY_UK

It's now getting nearer to Christmas, or whatever you celebrate. I was thinking, how do you get through it?

My family (who I live with) all go down my nan's for Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I'm agoraphobic, social phobic and depressed, so of course I never go. Christmas dinner for one with a nice bottle of wine. Okay, a sandwhich and a bottle of wine. In a way I'm glad they're not around, acting happy is exhausting, not to mention the pains in my face from the forced smiling whenever anyone looks in my direction. I always have to do the over the top happy routine a week before just so they will go. I don't want them staying home just for me. Makes me feel like I'm ruining their Christmas. And then a week later we have New Year's Eve. *sigh* I don't really like being alone at Christmas, but what can I do. I cant ask them to stay, that's selfish.

Anyone else going to be alone on Christmas and what will you be doing? Do any of you also have to act like you're okay?

I must so agree with you it's really straining to act happy when you are inside not happy.
I think it will just be me and my mother this Christmas.

dooby-duck

Christmas is good for me these days really. I don't see any of the extended family or anything just my parents, brothers and grandparents. I'm fine with them most of the time. I find that I can only laugh and joke for so long though and then I need to get away for a bit. It can get tiring, but being at home I can always escape. If I had to go to someone elses house I would have a problem.

emmasma

I work holidays so I have an excuse not to go to stuff. I just work really hard those days so I don't have to have to many jolly discussions with my coworkers.

Harleyq

I don't mind holidays. My family is very lax and keep-to-yourself so I don't get pestered every year. My dad and I will probably eat a nice dinner together and that'll be it.

I just don't like being bugged about it from everybody else - "You didn't/are not do ANYTHING over X-mas? No presents? WHYYYY!!????" I'm still trying to think of a clever answer to this bullsh-t.

emmasma

I just don't like being bugged about it from everybody else - "You didn't/are not do ANYTHING over X-mas? No presents? WHYYYY!!????" I'm still trying to think of a clever answer to this bullsh-t.

I just say that we avoid the commercial part because that is not what Christmas is about. I tell them I visit some close family and we eat, that is it. Most people agree that I am right.

emmasma

I just say that we avoid the commercial part,all the excessive gift buying, because that is not what Christmas is about. I tell them I visit some close family and we eat, that is it. Most people agree that I am right.

Last edited:

Harleyq

I just say that we avoid the commercial part,all the excessive gift buying, because that is not what Christmas is about. I tell them I visit some close family and we eat, that is it. Most people agree that I am right.

That's what I usually say, too, but I want a real zinger to give away this year. I want mouths to drop in disbelief :)

I was thinking of saying something like "If I partake in the celebration of the bleeding heart's birth, then my master Satan will punish me" but IDK...that might be too much even for me. My friends would get that I was joking but everyone else might not take it so well lol.

Last edited:

lyricalliaisons

I hate the holidays, they're so depressing. I'm also afraid to go to my family's home for dinner's etc. so I always spend the time at home, alone. My mom always leaves & spends it with them. She'll tell me that she's staying with me for Thanksgiving, or Christmas, & I buy the stuff to make the dinner. Then, after the turkey is already in the oven, my mom will say she's leaving to go to my aunt & uncle's house. I always get so mad & so depressed. It's especially bad because half the time, she doesn't get home until after midnight & when she comes home, she goes straight to bed. I hate the holidays more than anything. It just shows me how little I'm cared for by everyone around me. I never even get any presents, even though I buy the entire family presents. That just makes it worse. I'm not looking forward to next week (Thanksgiving) because, even though my mom says she's staying here, I know she's going to leave me alone at the last minute. I just wish she knew what it was like for me for one minute. I wish someone did.

(I'm in self-pitying mode right now lol, sorry)

philly2bits

I can handle them well. We don't do anything but have dinner on Thanksgiving and Christmas, so the only problem is preparing all the food. It's only my immediate family and maybe my grandmother who attend, so it's not as if I have to worry about family I rarely see coming into my house.

Nicholas

Oh my god, Christmas is coming again... I fuking hate it! It's almost as bad as summer when it's hot and I sweat all the time. Christmas is now by far the stupidest holiday on eart, when people celebrate consumerism and hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Lorraine Manca

i hate them. if i go to hell, it will be a holiday senario, house packed with family, all drunk, 365 days a year. with lots of peanuts and cheese

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I hate holidays. I spend them alone and watching how others have fun and they spend time with their families and friends... I am far away from my friends and my relatives are not really friendly (they usually go somewhere else to celebrate and I'm left alone).. so I'll just stay here wishing I would just die.

Harleyq

Oh my god, Christmas is coming again... I fuking hate it! It's almost as bad as summer when it's hot and I sweat all the time. Christmas is now by far the stupidest holiday on heart, when people celebrate consumerism and hypocrisy.

That's the best part, IMO.

Maybe I'm just a moral-less b-tch but if I'm going to actually celebrate a holiday, I don't particularly care how shallow it is as long as I'm having fun, lol. For Christmas, I'm not religious at all and I couldn't care less if the "true holiday spirit of Jesus" has been (or always was) lost in the money.

I'd even go so far as to say I'm not sure how many people really do truly and genuinely care about the consumerism that has become Christmas. Most people (but not all) I hear who say that are people who don't really have opportunities to have fun around the holidays for one reason or another so the consumerism argument is little more that justification for one's own personal feelings of loneliness. OR...people who say they hate the consumerism aren't exactly quick to put down the presents and lawn-decorating contests so they're just saying it to try to appear deeper than they are. Either way, it amuses me a little.

froghat

Well, I skip the family Christmas party, but my relatives come to our house for Thanksgiving, so I can't get out of it. It stinks. I enjoy the holiday with my parents and sisters, but when other family members are over it just ruins it.

NickyNacker

I am dreading Thanksgiving and Christmas because of my SA. I have for the past few years. Three years ago I actually skipped out on Thanksgiving because of it, but I haven't done it since because my mom and sisters got so mad at me. The past two years I've gone, but I was miserable and actually cried afterwards. My family is very different than me, and I'm very uncomfortable around them. Pretty much silent unless spoken to. And then my response is basically me being awkward/nervous and mumbling out like one word answers. It wouldn't bother me if I could just skip out on it and not get in trouble, but my mom and sisters get very mad at me and there's nothing I hate more than people being mad at me. They don't really understand my SA and they just see it as me being rude. It sucks.

Last edited:
With lots and lots of Chocolate! It gets those endorphins floating around my brain:D I can handle my critical sister better with a tummy full of nice chocolates!

i spend xmas with my immediate family. The only thing that bothers me is when im borke. Although we really dont care who has money, its still good when you can buy ur little sister something that she really wants