How do you deal with pressure from your boss?

Hey guys just wondering how many of you feel the pressure by your boss at times?

For me I feel this when he calls up and ask me to do an extra shift. The thing is 8/10 times I will agree to do the extra shift to cover someone, and I believe that still makes me a decent employee.

But when I have turned it down he makes me feel extremely guilty, and if I apply for extra shifts or anything in the future he will refuse it and throw it in my face by bringing up the odd time I have turned down his request to fill in.
It seems all the times I have filled in at the drop of a hat count for nothing? does anyone else get this at work? should I be feeling guilty at all? or just accept the fact that because I havn't always given in to him, I can't accept any favours in return?

the only reasons I turned the request down was (a)too late of a notice as I had already made plans for that day.
(b) its the only day of the week (Friday) I get to social-ize as I work all weekend and I'm only just starting to make in roads in getting to know this girl I plan to visit on that day.

I just hate the guilt trip, and what made it worse was that when he called I was at my mums and she made me feel quilty as hell too, stating that i'm always asking him for extra shifts(which I never normally get), and when I am offered one I turn it down. The thing was it was just the wrong day to ask me..any other day of the week would have been fine.

Should I be feeling guilty for turning work down in favour of working on my social life?

Hey guys just wondering how many of you feel the pressure by your boss at times?

For me I feel this when he calls up and ask me to do an extra shift. The thing is 8/10 times I will agree to do the extra shift to cover someone, and I believe that still makes me a decent employee.

But when I have turned it down he makes me feel extremely guilty, and if I apply for extra shifts or anything in the future he will refuse it and throw it in my face by bringing up the odd time I have turned down his request to fill in.
It seems all the times I have filled in at the drop of a hat count for nothing? does anyone else get this at work? should I be feeling guilty at all? or just accept the fact that because I havn't always given in to him, I can't accept any favours in return?

the only reasons I turned the request down was (a)too late of a notice as I had already made plans for that day.
(b) its the only day of the week (Friday) I get to social-ize as I work all weekend and I'm only just starting to make in roads in getting to know this girl I plan to visit on that day.

I just hate the guilt trip, and what made it worse was that when he called I was at my mums and she made me feel quilty as hell too, stating that i'm always asking him for extra shifts(which I never normally get), and when I am offered one I turn it down. The thing was it was just the wrong day to ask me..any other day of the week would have been fine.

Should I be feeling guilty for turning work down in favour of working on my social life?

I've been there myself. Normally I'd be asked to work the next day as I was leaving the night before. I always said "I can't because I already have plans. I need like 24 hours notice, here." So after months of me turning down overtime, they started asking several days in advance, to which I gladly accept. There shouldn't be any guilt trip involved in the workplace. I see other supervisors do it to their people and I don't agree with it so I won't do it to the people under me. If they don't want the overtime most of the time I find somebody who wants the extra hours and if I can't find somebody to fill in and the machines need to be running I just go to work that day myself. What makes me mad about your boss is him calling your mom and acting like you make problems with the overtime, that's totally not cool. He sounds like a real idiot. He should be treating his people the way he would want y'all to treat him, that's just the mature way to act, I believe.