Horny

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
toad. Phrynosoma cornutum. I found him while piling and burning brush today. Good specimen; well colored. He kept trying to escape me by hiding under the thorny brush, which was on fire at the time. Made catching him a bit tricky. He calmed down once I had him in hand, and didn't squirt blood at me or pee or anything. They're considered a threatened species and are protected by law.

howyoudoin_zpsc0f0c4be.jpg

I also came across a porcupine today. Erethizon dorsatum. I had a difficult time getting a picture of his face since he kept trying to waddle away from me and show me his spiny, defensive side.

Before I started chasing him around with a camera, spines down:

003_zps897a7fd9.jpg

Defensive posture walk:

walking_zps86a6d3fc.jpg

Eventually he ended up under the truck.

side_zps3fb70cd1.jpg

Not a baby, but still quite young. They get much larger.

coyote

my brothers and I used to catch horny toads when we were kids - kept a few as pets for awhile in some old fish tanks

porcupines are quite plentiful where I live now - most of their natural predators are gone

unfortunately, they have hard time crossing the highway successfully at night

Kiwong

Nice. Australia has echindnas who are monotremes with a coat of spines

Last edited:

Phoenixx

Awesome pics! (LOL at echidnas being terrifying penises :bigsmile:) We get the occasional porcupine here too. They're not extremely common, but they're not too rare either, and usually when I see them they're pretty big.... and sometimes on the side of the road. :/

Speaking of porcupines, I found this video on my Tumblr dash the other day. I had no idea this is what they sounded like. It's like they're speaking through a little kazoo, it's so cute! :giggle:

Teddy Bear, the talking porcupine, likes pumpkin, too! - YouTube

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Awesome pics! (LOL at echidnas being terrifying penises :bigsmile:) We get the occasional porcupine here too. They're not extremely common, but they're not too rare either, and usually when I see them they're pretty big.... and sometimes on the side of the road. :/
Thank you! :)

Porcupines are actually rare here. That was the first one I've ever seen.

The vid was adorable. Mine didn't say a word to me today. Not one word. Perhaps if he just got to know me...

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I expect they occupy the same niche ecologically.

Would the cross end up more thorny or more horny, do you think? :thinking:

yeh, ours occupies mostly dessert...i'd say it is a case of co-vergent evolution, and any similarities are purely morphological coincidence. so in saying that the 2 could never reproduce.

Kiwong

yeh, ours occupies mostly dessert...i'd say it is a case of co-vergent evolution, and any similarities are purely morphological coincidence. so in saying that the 2 could never reproduce.

Their diets are the same too, they both eat ants.