Hobbies

redtear

I am wondering what types of hobbies you guys have. Now that I am finally getting out there and learning how to interact better, I am finding that I don't have a whole lot to talk about. I've hid away for so long that I don't have the "normal" experiences everyone else does, to share. I would love to get a few ideas from you guys. So far I'v taken up jogging, raquetball and yoga. But to be honest, I'm really not a fitness type of person. These things just fit my MO in that they can, and are, all done alone. So any suggestions, especially group type activities, would be soo very welcome.

Bustn Justin

Me I don't have any hobbies. I am afraid to try different thnings due to being worried that I suck at what ever it is.

I been told I need to in order to feel better but have no clue where to start.

this_portrait

Most of my hobbies are ones that I can do by myself, such as photography, reading, drawing, etc. However, there are a few activities I enjoy doing with other people, like bowling, going to the movies, going for walks, etc.

coyote

i would really love to play some racquetball

there doesn't seem to be any courts around here

razzle dazzle rose

I also don't have many hobbies. Whenever I ask people about their hobbies, they don't have many either...they mostly enjoy partying, drinking, that sort of thing or they are too busy with school and work or something -kids- so they have no time. Some stuff I enjoy doing is shopping, watching movies, going to the beach, zoos, amusement parks and bowling. Bowling used to intimidate me. But once I got over my fear I found that I enjoy it a lot. Don't get to do it often though 'cause I have no one to do it with...ah... I also enjoy a good show or concert, but again, I have no one to go with.

Some hobbies I would like to explore further are baking and sewing. I would also like to do more outdoorsy things like hiking or maybe even camping; I love nature. I am open to things...when people ask me to do things with them I try to. I have started watching more TV, especially new shows. People like talking about that! Reading about current events also helps. Stuff like that. I still find it very hard to come up with things to talk about though. Lately I have been trying to just say the things that pop in my head out loud and not over think it.

I love Jigsawing and painting tiny figurines.
I kinda like model kits as well but the stickers get me,when you have to soak them in warm water and they fold over like onion film.
Do they still do that?

Onion film...you know that stuff you get in between the onion layers?

JamesSmith

I don't have anything to say around people, I'm practically incapable of small talk. Even if I do have something to say, I'm usually uncomfortable talking to people I don't know well, or even to people that I do know.

All of my hobbies are done alone, too, because I have no friends that I hang out with. It's actually incredible that I'm able to keep my mind occupied as much as I do.

I think a huge problem, not just with me, but with many other shy people is that we can't relate to other people because we are so different. Many of us just live different lives. Many of the things we do in life are anti-social (I don't mean that in a bad way, necessarily). Some examples for me, at least, are that I am 27 and have only been in one relationship and am a virgin. Whenever my friends ever brought up women or sex, I felt like i was on a different planet. Just talking to a woman besides at my flower delivery job, well I never talk to women besides at my flower delivery job, and the only reason I talk to women is so I can tell them they have a delivery and that other necessary stuff.

Another part of that is people my age are getting married or even having kids, and I'm nowhere near having either of those things happen. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but it's all the more reason for me to not be able to connect with people because I'm so different.

DeadmanWalking

I don't have anything to say around people, I'm practically incapable of small talk. Even if I do have something to say, I'm usually uncomfortable talking to people I don't know well, or even to people that I do know.

All of my hobbies are done alone, too, because I have no friends that I hang out with. It's actually incredible that I'm able to keep my mind occupied as much as I do.

I think a huge problem, not just with me, but with many other shy people is that we can't relate to other people because we are so different. Many of us just live different lives. Many of the things we do in life are anti-social (I don't mean that in a bad way, necessarily). Some examples for me, at least, are that I am 27 and have only been in one relationship and am a virgin. Whenever my friends ever brought up women or sex, I felt like i was on a different planet. Just talking to a woman besides at my flower delivery job, well I never talk to women besides at my flower delivery job, and the only reason I talk to women is so I can tell them they have a delivery and that other necessary stuff.

Another part of that is people my age are getting married or even having kids, and I'm nowhere near having either of those things happen. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but it's all the more reason for me to not be able to connect with people because I'm so different.

Yeah, I can agree with that somewhat. That reminds me of a rather embarrassing experience in high school: I forgot how it started, but, for some reason, a boy in my class asked me if I knew what a v***na was. I said yes, because I knew of its existence, so, in response, he asked what it was. Apparently, I said the wrong answer because, the next thing I know, I'm being teased and taunted by my classmates. Did I forget to mention that this entire conversation was being spoken about loud enough that my entire class could hear? I never lived that down.

But, that's besides the point. My hobbies are creating stories, reading, and listening to music. Sorry for the tangent.

mikebird

Banned
What an important issue!! Have to remind myself more.

Because of my situation, it's hard to do, but a passion for many.
There is a 2-axis graph for this:
1. time and money to pursue: -10 to +10
2. Favourite or least: -10 to +10

So, in text:

1. -10 helicopter
+ 10 mountain bike
-1 playing squash
0 snowboarding
- 9 motorbike
- 8 hot balloon
- 5 yachting
- 11 owning an island

2. -10 smalltalk
- 9 watching TV
- 8 watching movies
+10 sailing on sea - risking life in a storm is the ultimate
+ 9 playing drum & bass to big crowds on a huge sound rig
+8 sex
+7 teaching a son to build and race his remote control car
0 making friends
+ 8 stroking a cat
- 11 going to church
-9 getting married
-8 producing offspring

Aron

I fly remote controlled aircraft. I started it 4 years ago, and become quite obsessed and spent a lot of time with it, I even became quite good at it. Through it I made a few acquaintances and a very good friend. Most of the time it makes me happy, but sometimes I feel like it's only a replacement for something else I don't have, and I even question if it has any point.

twiggle

My blog
travelling (when I can)
reading
asian cinema
cycling
eating
and social drinking (not in a binge type way, just sitting and having a glass of wine with a friend and chatting).

KiaKaha

Banned
The only hobbies I have at the moment is playing the guitar, juggiling and reading. I like to exercise too but thats not really a hobby.

If I had more confidence I would do things that require a bit more interaction. I would like to learn another language, do rock climbing and learn how to cook better. Maybe I will join toastmasters too one day.

mikebird

Banned
I fly remote controlled aircraft. I started it 4 years ago, and become quite obsessed and spent a lot of time with it, I even became quite good at it. Through it I made a few acquaintances and a very good friend. Most of the time it makes me happy, but sometimes I feel like it's only a replacement for something else I don't have, and I even question if it has any point.

After I built a Tamiya car when I was about 10, that was nice. But everything changed when I found a local racing club, and I felt like Ayrton Senna, finding it hard to choose to watch a Grand Prix on Sundays, or get out there to race at the club! Sunny weekends on mud & grass tracks, or week evenings inside on carpet. 6 or 12 per heat. Friendship & competition. Built a better car, and then a better one... ::p:

I'd love to show a kid to do that - my main reason to want a kid one day.

Agent_Violet

1.reading/reading groups
2.drawing
3.piano
4.training my dog to do cool stuff
5.riding motorcycle
6.relaxing(oh yeah..it IS totally a hobby)

Sartana

Writing
Preparing Films
Writing/Recording Music
Swimming
Old Horror Films
Asian Cinema/Yakuza/Samurai/Godzilla etc
Reading Comics / Manga

I'd love to make more films and maybe play in a band but it's too hard to find people interested in the stuff I'd want to do.

Last edited:

Invisibleman

Honestly I dont have many hobbies I dont get out much. But sports are basically my life. I also love video games. I like learning about other cultures and stuff. I also love geography,when I was little I used to sit for hours and look at an atlas<--nerd :cool:

Agent_Violet

Honestly I dont have many hobbies I dont get out much. But sports are basically my life. I also love video games. I like learning about other cultures and stuff. I also love geography,when I was little I used to sit for hours and look at an atlas<--nerd :cool:

oooh i forgot about my gaming habit:) lol my husband totally doesn't understand it but i love it.

redtear

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Now I've just got to get out there and actually try some of em.