Hi! I'm old...

S_Spartan

Wow! I was happy to come across this site! It's the best social phobia site I have found. My only concern is that I'm a bit too old as there seems to be many younger people here. I'm about to turn 39 in a few days and I guess I'm feeling self-conscious about my age.
Anywho, I have been suffering from social phobia/OCD/depression for my entire life. All by myself. No professional help. That's not really by choice but rather a decision that has been guided by finances and not having anybody to hold my hand through the process. Here in America if you don't have money to pay for help then you have to get into "the system" and the whole thing has always looked very daunting, especially when you have social phobia. It's a catch 22.
Another reason has been my unwillingness to accept that the problems are as serious as they really are.
Last year I took a huge risk and moved 400 miles away from my family. Sink or swim. To finance the move I sold many of my belongings. It felt great at first. It was the most frightening thing I have ever done. Very empowering, but then the old feelings started to come back more severe than ever. I've managed to survive a year and two months but now the money is running out and it's down to either find a job or move back home. I've been sending out resumes but I hear nothing back and even if I did, my social anxiety kicks in and I don't know how I would handle going to an interview. I guess I would just sweat it out and probably blow it because I would feel so nervous.
So there it is. My whole pathetic life.
It's tough to get to 39 and realize that you haven't done much in your life. It sucks. Calls back home tell of people from my past who are doing great. Many are successful, sometimes even rich. Families, houses, you know, the American dream and I haven't been able to achieve such things.
Then again, I know that some of those people have had better luck than me. Just not having a mental disorder[like SP, OCD or depression] is what I would consider a stroke of good luck!

Forgotten-Children

*pat pat* I don't think you should be worried about your age on here as long as you're honest about it. :3 Besides, age is just a number, it only tells you how long you've been alive so there's no reason to be self-consious about it.

Honestly, I think you should move a little closer to your family so you can seek help from them and maybe they can pitch in to help pay for therapy because overcoming these things completely on your own is extremely difficult if not impossible. Unless they were the cause of your stress (Not making assumptions.)

I guess just hang in there and remember you have friends here. :3

Kato

There are a few who are older here. I am 43 would only harm a fly. Or maybe scare the hell out of kids this Halloween. Seriously, Welcome!

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Hi, welcome :)
If you're a guy, you're lucky, I think the good part of your life is supposed to start around this age.
Not the same for us poor girls who start going downhill at 25. :D

Kato

I forgot to write something I only just recently heard.

Your 40's are the height of your young age and in your 50's you become young in your older age. Makes me miss my clumsy thirties but that is life. In my twenties I couldn't even stand well. So maybe the future will not be so bad. My only concern is how I will appear. Great another thing to worry about.:D

coyote

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I'm happy to be 46 years young - I feel better mentally, emotionally, and physically than I ever have.

Good things are happening.

S_Spartan

Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes. I guess that 39 really isn't that old but in internet years it seems like anyone over 30 is a fossil. I must admit that I feel better now both mentally and physically than I did when I was in my 20s. Age has a way of smoothing some things out. The problems may be there but you don't care as much. You don't get as worked up over things as when you were young. Maybe because you are too tired? ::eek::
I look forward to interacting with others on this site who are going through the same things.

S_Spartan

*pat pat* I don't think you should be worried about your age on here as long as you're honest about it. :3 Besides, age is just a number, it only tells you how long you've been alive so there's no reason to be self-consious about it.

Honestly, I think you should move a little closer to your family so you can seek help from them and maybe they can pitch in to help pay for therapy because overcoming these things completely on your own is extremely difficult if not impossible. Unless they were the cause of your stress (Not making assumptions.)

Yes, my family were part of the reason that I moved. They are the type of people who believe that only a certain class of people have mental problems. I wouldn't say that they caused me much stress but they certainly never understood my problems. They come from a different era where people like me would have been locked up in an institution. In their view you don't talk about your mental problems.

I guess just hang in there and remember you have friends here. :3

Thanks so much for the nice welcome!

Forgotten-Children

Yes, my family were part of the reason that I moved. They are the type of people who believe that only a certain class of people have mental problems. I wouldn't say that they caused me much stress but they certainly never understood my problems. They come from a different era where people like me would have been locked up in an institution. In their view you don't talk about your mental problems.

I can understand that. :/ But I guess the only way anyone can truely understand what someone goes through is if they experience the problems for themselves. But because we have these problems, that doesn't mean it makes us bad people. It just makes us different and who we are. Heh... if everyone were the same, we'd be robots.

Thanks so much for the nice welcome!

You're welcome. x3