Hi im a newbie here...

symbiosis

Hi im a newbie here

Hi there,

I'm a newbie too, who has been checking out this forum!

Sounds like a great move, going to a support group. I joined one (Connect in SA) 18 months ago and it has been so helpful....it is CBT based and we share our challenges and successes each fortnight. They also run workshops, which I attended and am now helping to facilitate - talk about challenging!!!

I too have had a very rocky road with social phobia and am just reaching the top of the hill to a nicer outlook (took ages and lots of tears to get to this point though!!!) I try not to think of what I've missed out on, just live for the moment and make the most of it. If nothing else, this bl@@dy condition teaches great strength and determination. All the people at my support group are really brave and have lovely qualities as people.

Good luck with your group - I'm sure if you hang in there it will be helpful. I found it a revelation to realise that I wasn't uniquely "weird" and that other people are in the same boat. (I was never diagnosed until I stumbled across a SP website - I nearly fell off my chair when I realised that was what I'd had all those years....)

Anyway, I'm going on.... :)

symbiosis

Hi again,

It is hard to talk about isn't it?? Can be so overwhelming, I think I aged my mother a decade from all the ear bashing she put up from me.....I was so confused and unhappy.......

I really hope you go to the group and meet other people you can share things with - please go!! You owe it to yourself!! You definitely seem to have the right attitude for helping yourself and you are right re no quick fixes (bummer hey?!)

Cheers and good luck :)

terresap

Thanks for the good luck wishes.
:D

PS - dont go in the chat room, seems like the people in there are not very welcoming of us :oops:

Anonymous

Yeah Hi Symbiosis and others..

Johno here.. I too did the connect workshop here in Adelaide. I still go to the occassional movie night. Perahaps I might see you at one.................

All the best

Anonymous

Hi All,

Good luck with the group Terresap, hope you find the courage to go :) Like you I am also going to send this before I delete it, lol.

Symbiosis and Johnoo I'm also in SA and was wondering if you could post the contact details of the connect group you talked about and a little more detail of whats involved, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks :)

Anonymous

I was just thinking the same thing being in Adelaide as well, and having checked some of the other ozzie links they all relate to people in Melbourne or Sydney and nothing for us in Adelaide.

Mind you I don't know if I can drag myself to a group session though but it wouldn't hurt to know where it is.

I have searched around the internet and I suspect the information is on this page http://users.senet.com.au/~panangga/mhrc/

Not much of a website for the Connect program, and the only other info is this PDF document http://users.senet.com.au/~panangga/mhrc/connect.pdf

symbiosis

Connect in South Aust

Hi there,

I've been involved with Connect for about 18 months. They run an 8 week workshop when demand is high enough (we just finished one recently). I attended a workshop and found it very useful, friendly and supportive. The workshops are facilitated by SA "Survivors" - so they know the condition really well (too damn well!!).

What is also really good is that there is an ongoing "Skills Group". People who have done the workshop get together to discuss how they are going and play games, which is another way to practice speaking in a non-threatening way. I don't know about other people, but I really need ONGOING practice and social contact, or I slip backwards.....into the abyss!

Apart from learning CBT for challenging my thinking, I've found the ongoing opportunity to practice speaking in front of a small group REALLY helpful. My boogie-man has always been speaking, I've been told I look quite confident just sitting in a group, but my blushing and shaky voice when I had to speak always gave the game away!! Another thing I've found helpful for speaking is having voice coaching. Apparently when you're really nervous, muscles in your throat and chest tighten and your breathing gets shallower, which all change your voice (for the worse!). I learnt to project my voice more, so that its not so shaky. This has been really empowering, my voice used to shake all the time (except when talking to my mother!) It drove me absolutely NUTS. I still have my moments with it, but am improving.....

If any of you in South Aust want more info about Connect, the office phone number is 8221 5166. Liz is only there part-time (Connect is run by volunteers), but if you leave a message, she will ring you back.

PS we also do social things, movies, walks, dinners etc. A small group of us are meeting this Saturday for a walk.

Cheers, Helen

Anonymous

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the information Helen, it's really nice to know (in a way) that I'm not the only one in Adelaide who feels like this. Like the other guest I'm not sure I've got the courage to use it yet but it's handy to have for when I do :)

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back online and reply, the kids have been on school holidays and I've never discussed how I feel with them, don't want them to think Mum's weird! I'm very private about it, ashamed I guess, it's like a big secret I carry around, not good for me I'm sure.

Thanks again :)

Ulee2501

also live in adelaide and soon ill stop looking out the window and go to this connect group and see a few of you guys at the movies. :eek: Its good not to be alone all the time.

Anonymous

Connect

Hi Guest and all,

This post is mainly directed towards guest.. I can relate totally to what you said. I am like 33 and was in total denial for 29 years. I sought help because I needed it. However when I reflect back. Seeking help was the most difficult aspect of this god damn condition. I felt like a complete failure. I pondered over making that first phone call for 2 hours. Eventually deciding to call and then almost apoligised for perhaps being a burden to the person whom I was speaking to. I almost expected to be told off or laughed away. However I did the workshop and found it very beneficial. Goodluck

Cheers