Help for a story...

RyanH

Hello all,

I come to you to ask a favor. I am writing a short story in which the main character is agoraphobic. Rather than only going by what I read on Wikipedia or what the medical definition is, though, I want this to be as realistic as possible, so I wanted to be able to ask real people suffering from this for some real insight. If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions, it would be much appreciated.

Also, the terminology I have picked up ("safe place," "safe people") is just from these types of websites, so if I've got something wrong or am not using the accepted term for something, please correct me! Like I said, I would like this to be as realistic as possible.

1. In one account I read of agoraphobia, the person said they were constantly thinking about things and could never quite get away from their thoughts. Is this common? Thoughts constantly whirling through your head, kind of like a mind ADD?

2. My character first developed agoraphobia in college, when he begins to have panic attacks during exams due to his overbearing parents forcing him to be nearly perfect...does this sound plausible?

3. When you are leaving your "safe zone," what kind of thoughts do you think? What keeps you from leaving? What do you physically feel when faces with leaving?

4. Do you prefer solitude, or do you find yourself getting lonely a lot when confined to your home?

5. Roughly how many panic attacks, if any, did you have before you realized you may be agoraphobic? Were you officially diagnosed with agoraphobia, or self-diagnosed?

6. How long have you been confined to your safe zone?

7. Are there any places outside of your safe zone that you feel comfortable going?

8. Do you prefer having a "safe person" with you when you're in your safe zone? Does having that person with you make it easier to leave?

9. Would being the subject of a reality show--ie, having cameras in your house filming you, cameraman and producers walking around, etc.--violate your safe zone? Or would it make it easier because it was inside of your own place?

Thank you in advance for any answers you can give me. Again, please excuse my relative ignorance on the subject. I really appreciate all the help.

-Ryan

1. Yes that's normal. The constant thought of needing to get to your safe place and that you are in danger and something bad is happening to you. It's an obsession, something that's constantly on your mind.
2.Yes! That's one of the main reasons of I developed panic and then agoraphobia. 100% plausible!
3. The thoughts are things like 'I can't handle this', 'I amn't safe here', 'I'm exposed', 'something bad is happening to me and I can't take it if I'm not in my safe place', 'I need to get out NOW'...The list goes on! Though everyone is very different so I'd get a few opinions on that one.
4. Both! I get lonely a lot, but then when there are a lot of people around I just want to be alone. :roll:
5. The panic attacks were rare at first. Then because the panic attacks were so unfamiliar and I didn't properly know what was happening I gradually started to avoid places where I got panic attacks. It was about four years of this (though the panic attacks were rare for the first two years, it was more generalised anxiety) before I became really agoraphobic.
6. I was a year stuck in my house. I'm back at university now but it's still hard leaving the house every morning.
7. My boyfriend's house is somewhat of a safe place, but it's nothing like being at home.
8. My parents are my safe people. It's definitely easier to leave with them. They're the main reason I developed anxiety and now all my childhood issues with them have resulted in me being dependant on them.
9. No, people following me around would freak me out. I hate people being in my bedroom, I always feel very trapped and panicky. Also when people are focussing on me, I hate that too.

Good luck with your story! :D