Hello

Noca

Banned
To the OP, try doing some CBT therapy to work on your self-esteem, depression, and anxiety issues.

TubalCain

How do you cope with it? Are there any cures for it like products or procedures to make it less active? I also lived in WI some years ago. Hope you are coping well with all these stupid social problems we have, WE SHALL RISE!

I would say blushing caused my social anxiety. From about 7th grade to 11th grade I coped by avoiding situations that would make me blush. Before my senior year (10 years ago) I started taking Paxil and that stopped the blushing and the anxiety went away. Thankfully this allowed me to live a rather normal life, graduate college, and get a job. But about a year ago I started blushing again (built up a tolerance to Paxil). A number of other SSRIs, hypnosis CDs, and beta blockers did not help much. I'm now taking 1mg of clonidine twice daily. I've been taking it for about 3 weeks and it seems to help. I may also try lowering my histamine levels, as mentioned in this thread.

Frankly, I don't cope well when the blushing is not controlled (but I've never contemplated suicide). I live a rather lonely life. There has to be some mental component to the blushing and I'm pretty sure it is related to feeling vulnerable (even in extremely minor ways). However, I have no idea how to attack it. I've looked at how CBT is used for social anxiety disorder but I'm not sure it fits my situation (blushing causing SAD) and some of the thought patterns it deals with don't seem to apply to me.

I'm not sure if you feel your HH has caused your SAD. Regardless, I would recommend trying CBT. It can't hurt. You should also look into various remedies for hyperhidrosis. Since I don't have HH I don't know what remedies work best but I've seen them discussed so there are at least things you can try. ETS surgery should be a last resort.