"Hello Sydney Sider's"

Fear of people

"Hello to everyone who lives in Sydney and around OZ. I am also new to this site and I have suffered from SA for many years now and thought I was the only person who did until I came across this fantastic site.

I currently live at Bondi about a 10 minute walk to Bondi beach from where I live. I love living in Sydney as I live close to all the major shopping centres and the world's best known beach and is so convenient for me.

However due to suffering from SA also" I do not venture outside the house as often as what I would like to due to the fear that people may stare at me or thinking that I am weird in some way or another.

Everytime I go out some where in puplic such as shopping centres or even taking my dog for a walk to the park...I have this strong belief" thinking that everybody is staring at me or laughing at my appearance... even though I am a average looking person and not deformed in anyway.

I am always constantly worrying about what other people may be thinking of me when ever I am out somewhere in public including going for a swim or a surf at Bondi beach.

Due to this SA of mine...I have become house bound due to this life ruining phobia and not wanting to be seen by anyone as such.

I am also currently unemployed due to SA...because going to work would be to stressful for me to handle as it is.

Is there anyone else who lives around Sydney who also suffers from the same negative thoughts that I have.

If so I would love to hear from you and share your story with me.

B

bradj29

Hey there,

I can relate a lot to your experiences. I live in Vaucluse and am fulltime uni student going through similar situations and feelings.

What I would like in terms of dealing with it is to meet up with people for a chance to express feelings about the way we feel toward SA. I really feel that it becomes deeper seeded in our minds the less we get to talk and communicate openly without fear of judgement.

If you want to meet, email me at ******

Thanks, Brad

SnowWolf

Hi there, I can relate to a lot of what you said, and agree this is a nice site, it's made me feel less alone.

I left home from Tassie a few years ago and live in Randwick right now. Because I didn't know anyone here, and still don't, it hasn't been easy finding my way in the world especially with SA. And even though I rarely venture out I at least like where I'm living now, Randwick shopping centres are just a stroll away and the Uni is just around the corner if I ever feel I can cope with that again.

I'm also unemployed and basically feel like I want to crawl into a hole and die whenever I step outside. Can you believe I've only ever gone to Bondi Beach once in my 3 years of living here? And I couldn't even force myself to have a swim.

But it's good that you have a dog to walk and still get out even though it's hard for you. I love animals and my beloved silky/australian terrier recently passed away back in Tas when she was 13. One day I'm sure I'll get another dog, what breed is yours?

Fear of people

Hello SnowWolf, You and I definately have something in common and that being SA. I for one know how hard it is just to lead a normal life compared to those who do not suffer from SA.

Visiting shopping centres for instance can be a daunting task for me whilst people who do not suffer from SA think nothing of it of course. I feel as though people who suffer from SA such as You and I...cannot lead a normal life what so ever.

As I mentioned previously...I am currently unemployed due to SA and I find it however stressful to hold down a full time job as it is due to worrying what other people may be thinking of me.

Yes I do agree with you SnowWolf since joining this site...I also feel as though I'm not alone in the world either and we all share one thing in common
and that being SA.

IJustWantMyLifeBack

I also have SA and have only admitted it to myself this past couple of weeks. I live in the inner west and go out now and then... I'm about to loose my job because of SA....

Fear of people

Bondi beach had it's annual kite festival last weekend and of course I didn't attend due to SA and the fear of people looking at me due to my short appearance as I'm only 5 feet tall anyway and if you ask me, that is way too short for an adult and I have seen 10 year olds taller than myself these days. I think it sucks knowing that I can't have a normal life compared to those who do not suffer from SA. I think people in general who do not suffer from SA have no idea what people are going through who do suffer from SA if you ask me.::(:

ForthDimension

Hi Guys... I am also from Sydney. I was diagnosed with SA last year, but have been dealing with mild symptoms and thoughts for years..... i never knew what it was though.

manda panda

Hello ForthDimension,

Welcome to SPW. There's quite a few of us Sydney people on here. I've only just joined recently as well. It's always exciting to meet another!

xo