Hello from North Carolina

nursedina

Hello.

Quick note to introduce myself. I am 46 a nurse and a mom of three grown boys. Widowed 7 years ago and now have a boyfriend. I am a huge animal lover and have 4 dogs and a 2 cats.

My social anxiety has got the best of me. Unless it's for work, I don't leave the house. I will refrain from even getting the mail if I can. I spend most of my time in bed, watching TV and staying away from others.

I really feel that I make a good impression initially and that once people get to know me, they do not like me. I do a lot of self-talk where I get angry at myself for talking freely in front of people because I "know" that I making an *** out of myself and they do not like me.

I can feel alone in a crowded room and don;t have very many friends. I have a couple of people i am friendly with but I tend not to keep plans because I do not like to leave my house. I don't want to have to "deal" with the pressure of performing for people.

Does anyone else feel that pressure to perform all the time? As a nurse I am "on" for 12 hours at a time and when I get home, I'm exhausted mentally.

Well, thats about all about me. I look forward to getting involved on this board and trying to figure out how to overcome these feelings so I can have a life like others I see.

Thanks for listening. :)

Awesome. Welcome to the forum :). Yea, I remember having to "perform" when I was working - and it is exhausting mentally! Even just working with social anxiety is exhausting (if not performing)... having the constant worry that what if I have to talk to someone... what will I look like if I do this... etc. Pain in the butt!

nursedina

Thanks for the replies :)

I was supposed to go out and visit a friend today but instead i stayed home :(

Well, tomorrow is another day..right??