• Yes

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Dunno yet

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

Invisibleman

I guess im not really sure. On one hand it lets me know im not alone,on the other hand to be completely honest I feel like a loser even on these forums,I find even on here nobody really cares about what I have to say. And then theres the fact that since ive found these forums its given me justification for having SA,an excuseif you will.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Ultimately it is what you make of it. Can't make more than what it can actually do for you. There's times where this place has been bad for me, but that was because I was in bad spots mentally and it become my only source for social interaction and social support. And kinda is atm still. And a reason not to improve ironically, but that'd be on ME, not the site. For It did the complete opposite months ago, and helped me get out more and conquer things because:

I've made genuine friends, online yes - but ppl that beyind the cyber lines and text are real people with real issues we can connect with and relate to and not feel so alone. Any support is better than NONE - we NEED social support, and so many cannot get that in their RL's for various reasons. Online will never match RL support, but it's something, and can lead to RL support and help.

So sometimes in can be a love-hate relationship, but has to do more with MYSELF then the actual site and people. So in short, YES.

Last edited:

Felgen

It's a place I can vent when I really need it--and since I'm permanently banned from Wrong Planet, this is a sanctuary for any issues related to my Asperger's syndrome.

MrJones

The site itself is fine, but what really is helping me is the people I've met here. I'm a bit lazy now so I'll just quote :p

I've made genuine friends, online yes - but ppl that beyind the cyber lines and text are real people with real issues we can connect with and relate to and not feel so alone. Any support is better than NONE - we NEED social support, and so many cannot get that in their RL's for various reasons. Online will never match RL support, but it's something, and can lead to RL support and help.
^What he said :D

Rembrandt Broam

I like the people here, and I like to read about the experiences of other SA sufferers. It probably hasn't made me noticeably less SA in real life, but then I never expected it to. It's enough to know that there are other people out there, thinking and feeling the same way I do. So I vote yes. :)

WeirdyMcGee

I suppose so-- in whatever small ways it could help any person open to being helped.

or something like that...

Dead_on_Arrival

Excluding my therapist this is the only place I feel I can be open about myself, my feelings and my history. When I have been at some low points in my mind O have found solice here. There is a fantastic group of people who, with kind words and great advice, have seen me through a few bad patches. A lot of you sell yourselves short due to your own issues but when it comes to it you are all great people who are here because firstly you needed to find help and secondly you care for others in a similar position.

BiWinning

I don't know yet, I think some thoughts should be kept in my brain
But making friends is nice, losing friends isn't so nice though.

DeadmanWalking

Well, I can say it has. It's helping me take responsibility for my actions and become more integrated with society. Everyone on here has helped me through some troubles and those times when I was at my worst; I've made some very dear friends on here that I wouldn't trade for the world. I'm not sure where I'd be without SPW:D!

I've found friends here who I can trust an freely be myself around them. And probably that has encouraged me to keep improving. Besides the opportunity to vent, I think I'm getting from the people I knew here the motivation I'm not getting on my offline life.

Agent_Violet

Yes it has. Shows me I'm not as alone as I'd originally feared. It has shown me I do have the capability to care for other people instead of thinking of everyone as a total annoyance.
I've gotten really good advice and I've read some very creative and fascinating points of view on tons of topics. All in all.. I consider that a positive experience.

I think it has. I feel like I've become more sociable, not just on the Internet, but in real life and I think it's because of this place. I'm also more confident that my world isn't going to end in a blaze because there are so many people out there (and here) that have similar feelings/problems that I have. That makes me feel immeasurably more.... secure. I'm not a fruit loop amongst cheerios. I'm not a leper. I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her. Wait, what?!? :confused::cool:

Lostinthemusic

I would say it has helped a lot just being able to get my thoughts out. I still feel vulnerable every time I post something personal though.

When I walk around campus now I think of everybody else on this site going through the same, or worse, thing as I am. That is really comforting in itself.

If it was a smaller community and I felt I could really get to know everyone it might be better, but then again my communication tends to break down when I try to have any sort of real conversation.

takethislife

If not anything else, it helped my English. It's an infrequent opportunity for me to use it. :D
But, actually it has. Most for the "You are not alone" part. I see a lot of people coming to a forum expecting someone else would solve their problem. But the thing is, SA is not a flat tire or something. You can't just be told 'do this this and this' to make it disappear. So I think it's more about knowing that you really are not alone, sharing experiences, or at least telling someone how you feel or how was your day when you don't have anybody to tell to.

Last edited:

Kiwong

Yes. I feel as I can have a voice on here. There have been also some positive connections and words I have shared with other posters that have helped a lot.

Last edited:

MaliceInWickedland

This site has certainly helped me, but I don't think I've helped it much. My advice isn't really that good, I spend more time talking about my dull life than anything anxiety related, and I spew more negativity here than positivity. Either way, I feel like I can actually be myself here and that people accept me for who I am and I really appreciate this website for that. I've also made plenty of friends here, which is something I generally have trouble doing in real life so that's another thing I'm grateful for :)

Last edited:

Deus_Ex_Lemur

***REDACTED***

You do give good advice, and are mostly positive for others. I understand not being so about yourself, I am more negative towards myself. But either way, you can always make a difference in the future. You're own thread has, very enjoyable for all to read and puts a smile on ppl's faces and etc. Stuff like that you can't deny making small differences. It's hard to have huge life-changing impacts. :)

Last edited: