Girls (TV show)

Xervello

'K, I love the show, but... Hannah has become soooo unlikeable. I mean, she was always a self-involved person but this third season it seems like she's just totally not given any fukcs about anyone else. Maybe she was always like that and the humor of the show sugarcoated it. This season does seem less funny and more serious. Anyhow, for those that watch, do you think it's a deliberate attempt on Lena's part to portray her like this, or not?

Btw, just a few weeks ago I told a fellow Girlsfriend (trademarked, ha!) that I'd like to see a Ray/Marnie hookup and whaddya know! But the way it went down was just awkward. It could work if they went about it in a Ray/Shoshanna manner. Plus, I like Ray, but I don't wanna be seein' his a$$. o_O

And I mentioned this before to someone, but it's interesting that basically all the main male characters on the show are relatively nice, whereas just about all the girl characters are the shallow, nasty ones. I find that dynamic refreshing for once. Not that the guys are completely nice, but nicer comparatively than the girls.

Oh, and Adam's sister ftw!

paperie

Sdfljgfdslfal, yes! Hannah just seems significantly more awful this season. haha. Barely any redeeming qualities at the moment. I guess it feels a little more realistic though since many people are actually like that...

It also bugs me how the show is 90% Hannah. I'd like more development with the other characters besides the couple minutes they get each episode. I'm wondering if they are setting it up so Adam eventually wants to leave Hannah? I like how he was kind of the slime ball before, but he actually seems like the "nice one" this season compared to everyone else haha.

andohgosh, the Ray/Marnie hook up was so awkward. I was kind of hoping they would get together too but eep.

I about died laughing at what Adam's sister said to Hannah before she was leaving the apartment, something about her being a golden egg.

Xervello

It's interesting you mention how it's 90% Hannah and you'd like more of the other characters. What I liked about the first two eps were how they used the whole road trip idea to give Shosh more face time. Which I loved! From her bouncing up and down as she watched tv to sitting on the hotel floor next to the vending machine waiting for Hannah and Adam to finish boning, lol. I'd love more of THAT Shosh. Not so much the promiscuous, chain-smoking version she's ventured into this season. I love her manic and charmingly naive. But I've never been interested in anything about Jessa. So I definitely wouldn't want more of HER. The rehab eps were the first I've liked in her storyline, but they couldn't do that forever obviously. I'd rather she was more a minor character who only gets a minute each ep, tops.

But back to Hannah. I like that you acknowledged how Adam has changed somewhat. It does seem like he's evolved a little, whereas Hannah has devolved into narcissism. I mean, if you look back to the first season, she was totally under the thumb of Adam and HIS narcissism, so I guess Lena is flipping the script. But at least then there was humor in it. Now, the humor almost seems antagonistic coming from her. I sooooo wanted that widow at the funeral to slap her, lol.

Dunno if you saw the previews, but at least I have another Ray/Marnie interaction to look forward to, ha ha.

Nanita

I've watched some episodes. I think most of the characters are obnoxious, or the storytelling makes them seem superficial to say the least.
I like the british actress a lot, she makes it wort watching, for me.

MollyBeGood

I love the show, Girls. It's the only thing I let myself watch on t.v. but it's HBO so I can let it slide. I agree with you, Nanita, I like the Brit haha too and I am not European :) I love the way the characters interact and I have been a fan of Lena's since I saw Tiny Furniture. I appreciate her ballsy writing style and how she isn't afraid of any subject OR showing her body which is less than perfect.
It's a smart show with great writing and I love Lena Dunham, even if she is a little self-centered it is her being honest about who she is in every way. She isn't fake.

Xervello

It's a smart show with great writing and I love Lena Dunham, even if she is a little self-centered it is her being honest about who she is in every way. She isn't fake.

Just a LITTLE self-centered? Ha ha. I agree with you. And I don't even mind her narcissism if that's what Lena's intending for Hannah. But that's what I'm wondering. Is she purposefully making Hannah more self-centered (did you watch Beach House?) or is it unintentional. Personally I think it's the former. Her story arc from season 1 has changed quite a bit. Though she's never been mousy, she did submit to Adam's whims in the beginning of their relationship. And her friendship with Marnie was more equal. Now she's more assertive, and even with Adam he seems to be the one who submits now. It might be where they're all headed at the end of the season. Hannah's myopia starts pushing everyone away. With next season maybe has her finding the middle ground. Who knows. I loved the Beach House ep. Go Shosh!

MollyBeGood

To be honest I think everyone on there is self centered...take your pick! I guess the main thing I appreciate about it -people being the a-holes that they are and not hiding it. I also admire a heavy set female who's not afraid to show it all, in a world of massive eating disorders and body image hatred that for me is the most empowering aspect of Hannah's character.

Nanita

I love the show, Girls. It's the only thing I let myself watch on t.v. but it's HBO so I can let it slide. I agree with you, Nanita, I like the Brit haha too and I am not European :) I love the way the characters interact and I have been a fan of Lena's since I saw Tiny Furniture. I appreciate her ballsy writing style and how she isn't afraid of any subject OR showing her body which is less than perfect.

I guess I do like the show more than so many other shows.
But I tend to compare all shows to my few favorite classic shows, so therefore most shows nowadays don't stand a chance. (my favorites being Seinfeld, My socalled life, Gilmore Girls...)
I liked the movie Tiny Furniture!

Nanita

I have enjoyed the recent episodes very much and decided to watch season 3 again... Which I just did. I actually like the show so much more right now. It makes me laugh and I like the characters more and more, except Marnie.

Xervello

It makes me laugh and I like the characters more and more, except Marnie.

I e-mail a friend about the show, who loves it as well, but she hates whenever Marnie's singing, ha ha. I didn't mind it, but even I'm getting a little annoyed with her and her weird-looking, obnoxiously sensitive bf lately.