Getting over mic shyness?

HeadFace

Right now I'm really struggling with this. Not because of something like wanting to do videos for Youtube or wanting to voice act, but because of my online friends. The problem happened in my last group of (internet) friends too, except they were less understanding about it and obnoxious (as in, bugging me to get on mic or turn my webcam on, annoying stuff like that) Of course this was a while ago, and I broke contact with them over the fact that I was blinded by my initial impressions of all of them, and in the end I found myself loathing any sort of contact with them (but that's a discussion for another day)

I'm very happy with my current group of (again, internet) friends, and we have our own group on Steam that we all go on frequently and are on their daily. However, every so often we'll have a voice chat session on there, and I'll be one of the few people who won't even turn on my mic. They're understanding about it, and it's not like I really feel left out or anything, but I just hate the anxiety, and really wish I could join in. I don't know what it is I'm afriad of or nervous about, even with my crippling social anxiety, I've had conversations with absolute strangers before offline. Maybe it's because I think I won't be as lively on mic? Or I might act differently because of how nervous I am? I'm really not sure what it is, but I really wish I could get over this.

Another weird thing is that I can have normal conversations over Skype with people I know offline without any weird anxiety or anything like that.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Being nervous or anxious does make some act differently.

I think ma voice sounds quite boring and monotone at times when on mic, despite ma Scottish accent and actually recording ma voice and posting it in Post Your Voice on the forum here.

Maybe yer just self-conscious about how yer voice will sound talkin' to online friends? And are worrying about them thinking and negatively judging you based on how yer voice sounds? And, as ImNotMyIllness said, just do it!

Feel the fear and do it, anyway. Most of the time, things turn out better than expected. Ye never know until ye try.

JuiceB

I know how you feel. You might have a hard time because you're not as comfortable talking to them as you want to be. If you practice you might eventually get use to it until it becomes second nature.