getting courage to seek help

¯\(º_o)/¯

For those of you that have talked to a Theripist, how did you get the courage to seek out help?
I feel I should talk to somebody about my anxiety, but my anxiety level, when thinking about the idea of finding a theripist, goes to the moon

How did you do it?

I first spoke to a doctor, she was new, I was seeing her about something else and because I felt comfortable with her I also asked about my phobia/panic attacks, she was very understanding, diagnosed it as social phobia and organised a therapist

LoyalXenite

The main thing that pushed me into seeking help was the knowledge that if i dont i am likely to kill myself

sahxox

I first spoke to a doctor, she was new, I was seeing her about something else and because I felt comfortable with her I also asked about my phobia/panic attacks, she was very understanding, diagnosed it as social phobia and organised a therapist

I've only encountered one competent doctor and he was lovely and he left to join the army :/
The last two times I have been to different ones, both have either a) ripped me off b) brushed physical concerns off which continue to bother me today, 4 months later.
Anyway basically I dunno what I have and don't know a Doctor I'd trust enough to give me an accurate referral.

¯\(º_o)/¯

One of the things that concerns me, is that I'm pretty well off in life as opposed to a lot of others here. I have plenty of friends, I do fun thing fairly regularly just when I need to interact with others I don't know I have a hard time.

A lot of people mention getting to their breaking point, but I feel my life is comfortable enough to never reach that point. If things get hard I can just be home and be just fine, most things I can do with out, so if something causes me anxiety I just ignore it and do with out.

But I'd like to stop that, most of my time is spent alone doing nothing, I'd like to do other fun things and met new people, its just so easy to stay in the path that I'm on now
:/
Thanks for your replies

sahxox

One of the things that concerns me, is that I'm pretty well off in life as opposed to a lot of others here. I have plenty of friends, I do fun thing fairly regularly just when I need to interact with others I don't know I have a hard time.

A lot of people mention getting to their breaking point, but I feel my life is comfortable enough to never reach that point. If things get hard I can just be home and be just fine, most things I can do with out, so if something causes me anxiety I just ignore it and do with out.

But I'd like to stop that, most of my time is spent alone doing nothing, I'd like to do other fun things and met new people, its just so easy to stay in the path that I'm on now
:/
Thanks for your replies

I actually feel a bit the same way. I seem to have everything I want/need, and can go home or hang with friends and be a-ok. Hence I ignored this anxiety for years and it's gradually led to depression that I can never break the rut and get new friends or job without feeling physically sick from anxiety. I finally realise it isn't normal/healthy to have to live with it, despite not being nearly as bad as a lot of people on this forum have to go through. So I say it's psychologist time - there is nothing shameful about going to the doctors for physical issues, and don't see why my mental state should be overlooked either.

¯\(º_o)/¯

I actually feel a bit the same way. I seem to have everything I want/need, and can go home or hang with friends and be a-ok. Hence I ignored this anxiety for years and it's gradually led to depression that I can never break the rut and get new friends or job without feeling physically sick from anxiety. I finally realise it isn't normal/healthy to have to live with it, despite not being nearly as bad as a lot of people on this forum have to go through. So I say it's psychologist time - there is nothing shameful about going to the doctors for physical issues, and don't see why my mental state should be overlooked either.

I do believe we are both mostly on the same page, I say mostly because I don't know your full story to make that judgement, but from what you say we sound like where in the same spot.

That last couple of days have been great so the idea of needing a therapist has been nowhere to be seen. So I have made zero progress haha.
Still waiting for that breaking point... if it comes haha

noaalessi

A good idea is to ask a friend to accompany through your first sessions. surely you have a friend or family member that you can count on, and it's be a nice if they could go with you up to the therapist's door. It'd also be good for you to execute your plan to the end, because sometimes anxiety can make you quit and desist from your plans to see a professional.
Another important thing you have to keep in mind is that a therapist is someone who is there to help you, so you have nothing to fear :)

Good luck!

Flanscho

For those of you that have talked to a Theripist, how did you get the courage to seek out help?
I feel I should talk to somebody about my anxiety, but my anxiety level, when thinking about the idea of finding a theripist, goes to the moon

How did you do it?

I simply came to the conclusion that I'd owe it to my friends and family and myself to give it a try. I normally contacted them first via the internet, since it's obviously easier for SA ridden people that way. And once I accepted there to meet up, I couldn't really back out either.

¯\(º_o)/¯

A good idea is to ask a friend to accompany through your first sessions. surely you have a friend or family member that you can count on, and it's be a nice if they could go with you up to the therapist's door. It'd also be good for you to execute your plan to the end, because sometimes anxiety can make you quit and desist from your plans to see a professional.
Another important thing you have to keep in mind is that a therapist is someone who is there to help you, so you have nothing to fear :)

Good luck!
Yeah a friend probably would help a lot.
Once I'm committed I will always fallow through no matter what. That really what I need is to commit. Its just that first part that's hard lol

I simply came to the conclusion that I'd owe it to my friends and family and myself to give it a try. I normally contacted them first via the internet, since it's obviously easier for SA ridden people that way. And once I accepted there to meet up, I couldn't really back out either.
I feel the same way really. I do owe myself that much.
How did you find one online? Just Google? I'm now having trouble finding an actual therapist to try

Hoppy

I ended up phoning a support helpline and they gave me some phone numbers.

The most difficult part was picking up the phone.

Diend

I was very ashamed to approach a therapist first, but just try to find some therapy services in the nearby area and have someone else make an appointment for you. Down a few shots of vodka and then call and continue attending appointments.