First job, bad at interviews, nervous, help!

TreeBones

Hellllllo everyone. :]
So at the school I am attending right now work & community service hours are required, community service I am still very nervous about but since I have much less hours required for that I'm trying now to worry about it right now. Anyway I have all week off this week so I was thinking I am going to go job hunting, the problem is I haven't even filled out an application yet and I'm already SOOOOOO nervous. I only did 2 job interviews in my entire life, the first one was bad, the second one was very good, the guy interviewing me even said that I had nothing to be nervous about and winked (but I still didn't get the job) :kickingmyself: I also have no one supporting me, my dad is ignoring me whenever I talk about it for some reason, like he's uncomfortable with me being nervous. I don't know what to do, I am terrible in interviews, I can't even look people in the eyes without giving off some weird vibe! and I hate selling myself. I feel like I'm lieing, trying to appear all "normal". And all the kids that go to my school seem like they will get jobs so easily. I don't know what to do!?!?! :idontknow:

Alana.JPEG

I understand. I think generally people are nervous, however having social anxiety I am sure can't make it any easier.

I am definitely no expert, however I was thinking it might be good to prepare yourself for any possible questions. Also maybe try to be yourself, I think it might be better if you can honesty project your desire and competence in the position anyway I think people understand that some people are shy however still make great employees. Supposedly being shy can come across as being aloof and generally just not interested in the job so maybe try to acknowledge your shyness in some way?? Im not sure how, a job search training person told me what to say but I forgot. There must be guides out there for shy people and interviews.

And the last thing is, that it supposedly gets easier to perform in interviews the more practice you have :)

Flanscho

Over time I got better with my job interviews. I had about 15 behind me in my life so far.

What helps me is:
- gathering a lot of information about the company I'm going to work at
- wearing decent clothes
- not exaggerating about my skills
- memorize beforehand the answers to common questions
- memorize beforehand what questions I should ask when they ask me about what questions I have

TreeBones

Thank you both for your suggestions, I was starting to feel much better, when a wave of negative thoughts came in, like the fact that I will most likely have to work in a team, or that I will make a complete fool of myself, or look stupid or slow. :/ Ah, I am going to just pretend I didn't think of any of that and try to stay positive.

mismeek

Flanscho has it down! do what he says. I would put emphasis on looking nice, even if youre just going in to apply. At my old job my manager would write down what the person was wearing when they came to apply. Also lock or clean up your facebook. alot of places check those too.

Good luck.. but I know you dont need it! *wink*

TreeBones

Flanscho has it down! do what he says. I would put emphasis on looking nice, even if youre just going in to apply. At my old job my manager would write down what the person was wearing when they came to apply. Also lock or clean up your facebook. alot of places check those too.

Good luck.. but I know you dont need it! *wink*

Thank you =]

arovt

I recently went through similar nervous issues to prepare for an interview with a public medical devices company and I succeeded and I will share you my advice. I have moderately strong social anxiety, so I hope I cna help:

1) Get at least 8 hours of sleep the night before
2) Bring plenty of water because nothing is a better escape when you feel like the anxiety is drooping in than grabbing the bottle and having a moment or two to get yourself together
3) Prepare a ton- like I mean i had 13 pages of notes that I read three times before the day of the interview just to make sure I was ready on the elevator pitch, key questions, etc. Don't memorize ANYTHING. Make sure it's all natural

^Message me if you got any other questions!

TreeBones

I recently went through similar nervous issues to prepare for an interview with a public medical devices company and I succeeded and I will share you my advice. I have moderately strong social anxiety, so I hope I cna help:

1) Get at least 8 hours of sleep the night before
2) Bring plenty of water because nothing is a better escape when you feel like the anxiety is drooping in than grabbing the bottle and having a moment or two to get yourself together
3) Prepare a ton- like I mean i had 13 pages of notes that I read three times before the day of the interview just to make sure I was ready on the elevator pitch, key questions, etc. Don't memorize ANYTHING. Make sure it's all natural

^Message me if you got any other questions!

13 pages, wow! hahaha, thank you