Finding a career

dannyboy65

Ever since I started high school I've always thought what would be an amazing career. In high school though I didn't work to hard, but in college that all changed and now I'm in academic classes and getting top marks.

The class I joined in college though isn't a major or anything its a course designed to help students choose a career path. I've looked through arts, business, science, and even social working. The career path I figured I want to choose is in the sciences.

For anyone that knows about sciences though they would ask what one? There is so many sciences out there. I chose Biology because I love living organisms and seeing how they work. So currently I am going to upgrade for all the things I will need I am going to take Biology, Chemistry, and Math classes to upgrade and hope to get into a Biology class in University.

The problem is I'm so confused what career paths I can get. I want to be able to do something I will always love. I've never thought so much about my future.

Any tips on this field of study or what I should do?

PKMNMANIAC

I did biology at uni focusing on ecology. I've ended up becoming an ecological consultant, people hire us to make sure they don't break any wildlife laws.

Pros:
-it's fun! :D
-very varied, you are never doing the same thing for long
-you get to get hands on with wildlife

Cons:
-very seasonal, you essential work to the animals schedule so when they shut down in winter the work dries up
-long unsocial hours, again you work when the animals do which is usually in the middle of the night!

I'm talking from the UK though, so sorry if it doesn't apply!

dannyboy65

I did biology at uni focusing on ecology. I've ended up becoming an ecological consultant, people hire us to make sure they don't break any wildlife laws.

Pros:
-it's fun! :D
-very varied, you are never doing the same thing for long
-you get to get hands on with wildlife

Cons:
-very seasonal, you essential work to the animals schedule so when they shut down in winter the work dries up
-long unsocial hours, again you work when the animals do which is usually in the middle of the night!

I'm talking from the UK though, so sorry if it doesn't apply!

UK or not I still find what you told me helpful and it makes me look a little more into the jobs available.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I have a similar job as PKM and I like it as well, though it can be challenging at times because you have to deal with people a lot (in my case at least).

Opinion:

From what I know, it's difficult to find a job with only a bachelor in biology so if you choose biology it's better to do a master degree afterwards. If you think you'd prefer doing research rather than consulting, I think you would be even better off with a doctorate. However I think you said several times that you like animals, so if you go into research, maybe you should be careful to choose a field that doesn't involve experiencing on them. Also, if what you like is interacting with animals and being outside rather than studying them, maybe it would be a better choice to go for a technical degree, I don't know if you have that option in PEI. Or veterinarian.

If you decide to go for a bachelor in biology followed with a master, you'll have plenty of time to figure out in which field of biology you want to specialize. If you decide to switch field after 1 year, what you've done isn't lost since it gives you a minor degree in biology that you can still put in your resume.

squidgee

In a similar situation. I'm currently doing a Bsc, planning on majoring in microbiology and immunology, then doing a master's degree afterwards. I've always been interested in chemistry, biology to a slightly smaller extent.

Like Pacific Loner said above, a bachelor degree by itself doesn't hold much value, as the applicants of the positions you're probably going to apply to also all have degrees. Relevant work experience/internships are probably going to be pretty useful at this point, though these positions are also quite competitive. I remember wanting to go into research before, but apparently it's quite an unstable career because you're dependent on funding.

dannyboy65

I'm thinking of majoring in Biology to get a job in Biology. I'm a little nervous about doing it but I don't want that to stop me from doing this.

LazyHermitCrab

There are a lot of things you can do with a biology degree. For instance you could be a park ranger and researcher. I majored in English but I'm more interesting in working for a conservation company now. Biology would have helped.

dannyboy65

There are a lot of things you can do with a biology degree. For instance you could be a park ranger and researcher. I majored in English but I'm more interesting in working for a conservation company now. Biology would have helped.

I've been thinking of wildlife conservation but there is no work where I am located and I don't feel comfortable moving because I'm still getting help from the autism foundation.

Megaten

Biology is my major too and Im having trouble finding work in my area. Apparently I need to go to grad school and specialize because its such a general field. Im wondering how it is in other locations though. :/