Feeling burned out with life...

S_Spartan

Does anyone else feel "burned out"? After all the years of mental illness, failures, loneliness, anxiety, depression, isolation, listening to other people's problems, money, the internet, tv...I just feel so tired of it all!

It seems like anymore dealing with people just takes more out of me than I have to give and I'm left on empty.

Sometimes I will go to write an email and just look at the screen and think to myself "I just can't do it today".

Sometimes I just feel like sitting here, staring at the wall, and not leaving the house.

This all really hit me lately because I made a mistake in my business and it cost me a pretty big chunk of money(for me at least) and I could have fought it and even made the chunk smaller but I didn't, I just took the loss and moved on because I don't have the energy to fight anymore. And I didn't even care about losing the money whereas in the past I would have obsessed over it.

I'm finding that I care less about things all the time.

Hey, maybe this is a good thing. Maybe this will be the end of my perfectionism! Maybe I'm learning to not give a crap and make mistakes like "normal" people seem to be able to do.

MikeyC

You need to think about what you enjoy doing, and just go for it. Despite feeling burned out on life, which I'm sure a lot of people go through, there are still things you enjoy doing.

Do you like to write? Pursue that. Do you like to cook? Pursue that. They may seem trivial, but if you enjoy it, you'll feel happier and hopefully have a better outlook on life.

Steiner

Mmm yes I have felt burned out for awhile now. Hopefully you can break through it. Not sure about myself i'm still in the process.

nicole1

Yes, that's why I isolated myself for so long, quit everything... I still feel burned out and want to do nothing more but stay home...but that's not possible...

mikebird

Banned
I hate it!!

My only remaning family are retired

My parents were retired when I was born

I never give up.

Maybe some get lucky really soon in life and have a butler to take care of all aspects of life... a sports hero or celebrity will hire someone to do the usual daily tasks for them, and mind all their investments.

I wanna look after myself. But the embedded failure has taken root early

S_Spartan

You need to think about what you enjoy doing, and just go for it. Despite feeling burned out on life, which I'm sure a lot of people go through, there are still things you enjoy doing.

Do you like to write? Pursue that. Do you like to cook? Pursue that. They may seem trivial, but if you enjoy it, you'll feel happier and hopefully have a better outlook on life.

I enjoy collecting CDs and listening to music and hunting for rare CDs or bargains online and I am still doing that a lot and it does take my mind off of things for a little while but the burned out part is still there lingering in the background.
I also enjoy working out at the gym but haven't been able to do that like I used to because of an injury. :sad:

Odo

Banned
Sounds like you might just need a vacation... and I don't mean just down time, I mean an actual vacation where you go to another country and temporarily shed all of your responsibilities, have fun and do things that you can't do at home.

Seriously-- if you have money, go to Africa and do a safari for a few days... it will be awesome, I promise.

You'd be surprised how much this can help with burnout.

laure15

We all burn out at times. I burn out easily when I do things that I'm not interested in. I have also learnt not to give a cr*p anymore. Maybe we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves. We all make mistakes, doesn't mean we're stupid and inferior. The main thing is learning from the mistakes and moving on.

MikeyC

I enjoy collecting CDs and listening to music and hunting for rare CDs or bargains online and I am still doing that a lot and it does take my mind off of things for a little while but the burned out part is still there lingering in the background.
I also enjoy working out at the gym but haven't been able to do that like I used to because of an injury. :sad:
Hey, we share the same obsession! :D How many CD's do you have?

Sure, it's fun, but at the end of the day you're still going to feel burned out. It's a very temporary solution to a much larger problem.

The injury and having to abstain from the gym has come at either a good time or a bad time. It's bad that you won't be able to work out and remain healthy, but good in that you can just relax and think about what you want.

Sounds like you might just need a vacation... and I don't mean just down time, I mean an actual vacation where you go to another country and temporarily shed all of your responsibilities, have fun and do things that you can't do at home.

Seriously-- if you have money, go to Africa and do a safari for a few days... it will be awesome, I promise.

You'd be surprised how much this can help with burnout.
^ This. This this this this this. The vacation doesn't have to be a 3 month worldwide extravaganza, but take at least 3 days in a hotel somewhere and just be. You will come back better than when you left, I promise!

Diend

Just let the world burn in flames. Do anything you desire. I dropped out of college. Started doing what i wanted to do and im really happy and content. No need to run the rat race.

S_Spartan

Hey, we share the same obsession! :D How many CD's do you have?

I'm up to around 1000 CDs now with more coming all the time. I just love getting those little packages in the mail and going to the used CD store and walking out with a stack. I also really like finding the rare and out of print ones.

As for the vacation, I certainly don't have the money for an African safari but I might be taking a little trip next month so maybe that will help some.
But I really do feel like I'm stuck in some constant state of burn out. Maybe it's a mid-life thing?

MikeyC

I'm up to around 1000 CDs now with more coming all the time. I just love getting those little packages in the mail and going to the used CD store and walking out with a stack. I also really like finding the rare and out of print ones.
Nice! Yeah, I love the packages and scouring online for what I want. It's awesome. :) Finding out-of-print/rare CD's is nice, but the prices for them can be astronomical. One I was looking at yesterday was about $120. Hell no. What genre(s) do you like?

As for the vacation, I certainly don't have the money for an African safari but I might be taking a little trip next month so maybe that will help some.
But I really do feel like I'm stuck in some constant state of burn out. Maybe it's a mid-life thing?
Where's your trip next month?

A constant state of burn out means you need some change. Some spark that'll reignite your desire for life. A trip is a good mix-up. Plus, you say it's a mid-life thing, so perhaps you've done the same thing for too long. How old are you?

S_Spartan

Yeah, I love the packages and scouring online for what I want. It's awesome. :) Finding out-of-print/rare CD's is nice, but the prices for them can be astronomical. One I was looking at yesterday was about $120. Hell no. What genre(s) do you like?

A little bit of everything: Alternative, classic rock, new wave, punk, art rock, psych rock, big jazz fan, love classical, folk. You?
Yes, some of those prices on Amazon/Ebay are getting out of hand! I've seen them too. I have some in my collection that have now gone out of print and they are asking prices like that for them.

Where's your trip next month?

A constant state of burn out means you need some change. Some spark that'll reignite your desire for life. A trip is a good mix-up. Plus, you say it's a mid-life thing, so perhaps you've done the same thing for too long. How old are you?

My trip is a few hours up north to visit a friend. I'm 40.

HHDisturbed

Feeling burned out about life? hmmmm.

Unless you are filthy rich and can travel the world I think that's real life for just about anyone to some extent.

S_Spartan

Feeling burned out about life? hmmmm.

Unless you are filthy rich and can travel the world I think that's real life for just about anyone to some extent.

It goes beyond money. I'm actually burned out from my mental issues and just dealing with people in general.

MikeyC

A little bit of everything: Alternative, classic rock, new wave, punk, art rock, psych rock, big jazz fan, love classical, folk. You?
Yes, some of those prices on Amazon/Ebay are getting out of hand! I've seen them too. I have some in my collection that have now gone out of print and they are asking prices like that for them.
Nice mix of genres there. I mostly collect heavy metal. :) At least you know you're sitting on a mint when you sell!

My trip is a few hours up north to visit a friend. I'm 40.
At the age of 40, you may have exhausted your desire for your job that you've been doing for two decades now, or maybe your hobbies that you've pursued for as long are not as enjoyable as they once were. Perhaps it's time to think about what you truly enjoy and focus on that. It won't immediately cure how burned out you are, but change is a great way to feel better.

The trip sounds nice, too. :)

cowboyup

Yes, I feel this way - more and more it seems.
I'm 43; I see you're 40 - so it may be we're going thru some mid-life thing. That being said, I know others who feel similar and are younger, so I don't want to jump to conclusions and blame it solely on mid life crisis.

Like you, I am burned out with people and their issues, tv, internet, the list goes on and on... and I am a huge people pleaser so that's no help, at the end of the day, I feel so drained I have no energy to do anything for ME.

Like others have said, try doing something just for YOU. I know finances play a part, but if you can, take a day long road trip to a national or state park, go camping - just you alone, go hiking if you can, spend a weekend at a hotel ... anything like that would at least *reboot your battery* for a bit.

(P.S. I need to take my own advice...)

Feathers

Ohh, I feel you with the burnt-out thing... Kinda burnt out myself too (or maybe it's just the heatwave?) Weater has influenced me a lot, it seems...

Introverts may get more energy by doing some introverty things, so after any interactions with people it may be good to plan some alone time with a favorite activity (listening to music or whatever)

Alienated

Does anyone else feel "burned out"? After all the years of mental illness, failures, loneliness, anxiety, depression, isolation, listening to other people's problems, money, the internet, tv...I just feel so tired of it all!

It seems like anymore dealing with people just takes more out of me than I have to give and I'm left on empty.

Sometimes I will go to write an email and just look at the screen and think to myself "I just can't do it today".

Sometimes I just feel like sitting here, staring at the wall, and not leaving the house.

This all really hit me lately because I made a mistake in my business and it cost me a pretty big chunk of money(for me at least) and I could have fought it and even made the chunk smaller but I didn't, I just took the loss and moved on because I don't have the energy to fight anymore. And I didn't even care about losing the money whereas in the past I would have obsessed over it.

I'm finding that I care less about things all the time.

Hey, maybe this is a good thing. Maybe this will be the end of my perfectionism! Maybe I'm learning to not give a crap and make mistakes like "normal" people seem to be able to do.

Well maybe you can find something new to care about, something that perfectionism is a must. You have thee most advanced educational and learning tool know to man at your finger tips..... USE IT !!

Challenge yourself man.... Learn something you always wondered about ??