Feel alright around family?

JamieD

Does anyone else feel perfectly comfortable around their family, but in front of strangers, go back to 'normal'? With me i feel the worst around people my age (18-ish) Like i have to try and keep up.

BlaiseBLATES

Yeah,
I'm sat with my family right now and I'm fine.
I'm going out with family Tuesday and I'll be completely fine.
The moment my friends come round or I go to school..I know I wont know what to do.
It seems I'm missing out and don't know what's going on or what they're talking about...Kinda hard to distract yourself from SA in those circumstances...
It's completely normal hun =).

Josh5339

Definitely agree with you there man. For some reason I get along great with my family, I'm even normal most of the time around adults. Hell, I even make jokes and my family knows me as being the funny guy. But, people my own age? Forget it. Which has always seemed odd to me - why is it relatively relaxed with older people while more tense with people my age (early 20s).

katie1919

I feel completely comfortable around my family and friends. For me it is usually around people of authority and strangers when I tense up and the SA sets in. My family finds it hard to believe I even have SA because I am fine around them.

Shift

No, no, no... I can't talk to my family at all. Well, one of my cousin's I can but that's it. I'm most comfortable around my friends.

Anubis

I feel more comfortable with my family too. I think it's because of the "perceived" confidentiality that a family provides. You can act anyway you want without the threat that your dirty laundry is broadcast to everyone.

Whereas with non-blood members, they can easily backbite and tell everyone about your mistakes. Of course, some people have family members that backbite as well, so it varies. But I think the person who you feel most safe with your secrets is the one you feel most comfortable with.

Predacon

I feel more comfortable with my family too. I think it's because of the "perceived" confidentiality that a family provides. You can act anyway you want without the threat that your dirty laundry is broadcast to everyone.

Whereas with non-blood members, they can easily backbite and tell everyone about your mistakes. Of course, some people have family members that backbite as well, so it varies. But I think the person who you feel most safe with your secrets is the one you feel most comfortable with.

I think thats true. With my family I know how they'll react to things I say so there's no nervousness. With other people I always feel that they might take what I say the wrong way.

shore_of_glass

Yes, although I'm less with my father.
And then ages influences that too.
When its people around my age, I get uber nervous.
When its older people I get less nervous (according to the primary looks).

And when it's some form of authority I get very nervous too.

Richey

No i'm very uncomfortable around family in terms of conversation and also they have no problems judging me and they know every little detail and that makes me feel uncomfortable. its not like the sort of relationship you have with a close friend because there is little fun or laughing when it comes to my relationship with my parents and family, i think its because my parents are so strict and condescending alot of the time. they have very old fashioned/conservative values. for instance i can have an opinion and they'll jump down my throat if they think its wrong. so i'd say im not comfortable around them at all because i dont feel like i can speak my mind or be myself without judgement i mean my dad is overly arrogant and has a temper and my mum just agrees with everything he says to keep the peace. i suppose it depends on whether individual personalities fit in well with other types of personas.
every family is different.

Last edited:

Richey

one thing i have noticed is that for instance whenever i visit my cousins and my uncle and auntie, both my uncle and auntie have this carefree fun loving relationship with their kids(my cousins) they never take themselves too seriously. like my uncle just sits on the couch joking around with them and my little cousins are all doing really well at school and jsut seem to be happy. for me and my parents it never like that, it was always negative and whinging with them and temper tantrums. you could never make them happy no matter what you did. so again it really does depend on the sorts of people you have in your family.

206Raider

I'm pretty fine around my family, I can talk to them just fine but some days I won't. I generally hate talking in a group though, even with my family, if everyone is talking I hate to open my mouth about something becuase then everybody wants to give me their opinion, and sometimes it seems everybody in my family hates eachother so I'm unsure of what to say becuase sometimes it seems everybody is on edge. I went to Florida recently to see my cousin Carrie who is a little older than me and I'm usually shy but she had to get my really drunk and then I opened up to her but as soon as I left we didn't talk much again. I hate being drunk but when I am people love me, friends, family, whoever. I wish I could be that vocal all the time...

Flowers-Of-Bloom

My immediate family are the only people I can be around and still be myself. Anyone else and I go into that 'zone' of cognition where certain parts of my brain must speed up to analyse internal and external reactions, as well as environmental factors. The increased brain activity actually makes it harder to process what others are saying and to form replies. I become confused and disoriented for a number of reasons - but the main one being my fear and the inability to cope with it.
But I never feel like that around my family. I really don't care much what they think.

No i'm very uncomfortable around family in terms of conversation and also they have no problems judging me and they know every little detail and that makes me feel uncomfortable. its not like the sort of relationship you have with a close friend because there is little fun or laughing when it comes to my relationship with my parents and family, i think its because my parents are so strict and condescending alot of the time. they have very old fashioned/conservative values. for instance i can have an opinion and they'll jump down my throat if they think its wrong. so i'd say im not comfortable around them at all because i dont feel like i can speak my mind or be myself without judgement i mean my dad is overly arrogant and has a temper and my mum just agrees with everything he says to keep the peace. i suppose it depends on whether individual personalities fit in well with other types of personas. every family is different.

Sounds very much like my family. We used to have many heated arguments, nearly all of which were a result of my fathers narrow-minded and misogynistic views. Frustrating, yes. But I'd never be able to speak with such wit and confidence face-to-face with a friend. I don't know why, but I feel comfortable around my parents despite their completely different mind-set and love for disagreement.

Last edited:

olaf687

I feel completely comfortable with my Immediate Family like my mom, father, brother, and my grandma. But what bothers me the most now is im not comfortable with my first cousins that I used to be very close to when we were kids and our teenage years. But now im a complete nervous wreck around them. Wish It could be like it was when we were kids...

KiaraBlue

Does anyone else feel perfectly comfortable around their family, but in front of strangers, go back to 'normal'? With me i feel the worst around people my age (18-ish) Like i have to try and keep up.

I never feel completely comfortable..even when I'm alone..because there are still my negative thoughts hunting me and I can't relax..
It's really sad that I can't be relaxed for example near my brother...because I would like so much to talk with him - we spent lots of years in our puberty fighting to each other. Now that he has changed I'm dying for his company..I really miss him..::(:

Ignace

Well, I'm surely not feeling good with family, that's why I don't go to gatherings, 'parties' with Christmas and New Year, Birthdays .. I don't feel so good with my parents either, we don't know each other, that's because I hardly talk to them cause I feel guilty to them. Especially with my dad, every time I see him he reminds me of the fact I should go out and have gf's all around the clock...

black-wings

Well, I'm surely not feeling good with family, that's why I don't go to gatherings, 'parties' with Christmas and New Year, Birthdays .. I don't feel so good with my parents either, we don't know each other, that's because I hardly talk to them cause I feel guilty to them. Especially with my dad, every time I see him he reminds me of the fact I should go out and have gf's all around the clock...

Wow! I thought I was the only one who felt like that. My parents and I get along great. Its just my other relatives (aunts uncles and cousins) that Im not comfortable with. Funny part is, I used to be so close to my family when I was kid. Now that Im grown, I hardly even know em. Weird. ::(:

market.garden

I feel comfortable until I start thinking "Am I comfortable?" - and then I have to disappear and be by myself. I'd say I prefer to be alone, friends can either be good company or send me into a low patch, same with family.