Fear of jogging in specific areas

Do you have a fear of running in certain areas?

• Yes, it prevents me from running in some places.

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Yes, I can't run any where, or even go to the gym.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No, no one I know that sees me while jogging, bothers me at all.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

voodoochild16

Hey all,
I know that many people here like to go for a job once in awhile. So, basically I've been thinking about what goes on in my head. The thing that I think is "someone will see me jogging" which isn't what I like, because I fear being judged, I fear them saying "oh I saw you running the other day".

But my conclusion is, "so what, these people already know me". If they say something like "oh I saw you running the other day", don't be offended, just say "oh yeah, good for you **** face!", something like that. I guess my other fear is more and more people knowing who I am, which isn't what I want because I like to be anonymous.

So has anyone else had the same fear?. It might sound ludacris to some, but it's seriously driving me insane and is preventing me from getting my daily fitness without driving the distance.

shybutsexy

Yeah it happens to me, i can only jog in places where theres other people jogging, that way i can go unnoticed. But if there is no one else jogging but me, then i start to get anxious and i cant do it.

I also only jog where I see other people jogging too, otherwise I'll feel weird. Or if there isn't many people around then it's okay.

Kiwong

I get so much stuff shouted at me, it seems that everyone in this town knows me as the weird guy who runs. I have lost motivation to run as a result.

voodoochild16

Yeah it happens to me, i can only jog in places where theres other people jogging, that way i can go unnoticed. But if there is no one else jogging but me, then i start to get anxious and i cant do it.

Yeah, exactly the same here. I listen to a motivational MP3 by Eric Thomas though, and it helps me by looking at the bright side, like how bad do you want it? (that's me asking myself). Below is the video I converted to an MP3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-raYgOmYPvQ

And I also think back to the saying "no one will remember 50 years from now". I also see some people in town running all the time, and I never stop seeing them running. I just think about all that which most often puts the negative thoughts behind me. But they don't always stay there.

I also only jog where I see other people jogging too, otherwise I'll feel weird. Or if there isn't many people around then it's okay.

I like to jog when it's raining, because no one is going to be outside at all. But I am basically the same as you.

I get so much stuff shouted at me, it seems that everyone in this town knows me as the weird guy who runs. I have lost motivation to run as a result.

I try wearing shades when running in the sun, or a hat, or a hoody tightened over my head. What ever works I guess.

When running just by the highway I always get people yelling stupid shit too, so I usually avoid the highway completely.

Blueborn

I once had a drank unviversity student yelling at me that I'm running like a gazelle. Other than that I didn't even notice any weird looks so far, but I can totally relate. I always imagine the thoughts on people's mind seeing me to be like "What a miserable bore, that he doesn't have anything better to do", and that's not so far from the truth unfortunately, as I mostly do it when I lack the motivation for a more concentration demanding kind of workout, which is pretty much always.

voodoochild16

For some reason, for a very long time I just had this feeling to believe the things that people said negatively to me, if that's while im running, or in school. But now I guess reject those negative things people say. I don't know what took me so long to do that..

Kiwong

For me, it's the avoidance kicking, such a volume of stuff shouted at me, I don't want to deal with it anymore.

voodoochild16

In the last couple of days, I've found success in running at times when people aren't around. Unfortunately the most inconvenient times to go running are the times when people aren't around most of the time. But at 9PM no one is around, so it's great. But I just can't get up at 6 any more, even though I'm supposed to get up early every morning.

bcsr

people actually shout stuff at you guys when you run/jog? that's crazy. i've never in my life had a single person yell or even say anything to me. most people are too worried about themselves to pay attention to someone exercising.

the last few weeks i've been running in a group with 4-5 other people, and it makes it even easier.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
people actually shout stuff at you guys when you run/jog? that's crazy. i've never in my life had a single person yell or even say anything to me. most people are too worried about themselves to pay attention to someone exercising.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I don't know where you guys run but nobody shout stuff at running people where I live o_O
Maybe it's less likely to happen in big cities than small towns?

Anyway, about the OP's question, this is one thing I can't seem to get over yet. It's not a matter of place, it's a matter of people. I won't run unless I can do it without crossing anyone's path in a 100 meters radius. So I can only run when I manage to get up at 5:30 in the morning. :sarcastic: :eek:h:

I'm pretty sure the solution to that problem is just a matter of getting used to it though... As long as nobody starts shouting at me

OceanMist

I used to be afraid of this. I am injured now so I can't run, but I would imagine I could run and not be too self-conscious. The older I've gotten the less I care what people think.

As someone said, wearing shades can help. The only thing i was really afraid of the last times I was jogging was getting hit by a car. I once had a drunk driver try to kill me, luckily I got out of the way, but ever since then I'm skeptical about running on the street. I would advise finding somewhere like a trail or sidewalk, dodging cars is much more dangerous than anything with running.

Worrying what others think should be the last thing on your mind. You are getting exercise, so anyone talking trash on you is probably someone who isn't getting much exercise. People tend to dislike who they aren't.

Kiwong

It's like a spectator sport where I live. It's like being thrown into the ring with lions.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I've always gone at night. I prefer to bike, though. I feel safer when I can whiz away from danger so much more quickly. Or people. But, same thing, right?

No one has ever shouted at me, or anything like that.

For me, it's the avoidance kicking, such a volume of stuff shouted at me, I don't want to deal with it anymore.

Dam it, that is so depressing to hear you say that as I know how much a passion it is for you...i dont what I would I do if any of my hobbies were impacted negatively like that from random strangers....the other day I was watching an obviously attractive young female jogging with tight sports top and fluro workout shorts and got me thinking I wonder how many comments she would have shouted out as she goes about her jog and how she would deal with it mentally..after reading this thread I bet its a fair amount, obviously the positive comments will be easier to deal with but at the same time I bet she wished people could just keep their comments to themselves

Kiwong

I suspect she would cop heaps, Skins. I think many women joggers rightly fear for their safety. Sexual assault on women joggers is not uncommon. When they are singled out for attention, I guess they might feel vulnerable.

It's not so much fear with me, it's a desire to be able run anonymously in a town that feels uncomfortably small.

I haven't given up running, but I am definitely not as motivated as before.

voodoochild16

the last few weeks i've been running in a group with 4-5 other people, and it makes it even easier.

I've had people yelling "your slow", "your fat", or anything like that in the past. But recently it's been nothing really. I just chose all the right times to actually run and the right locations. The worst place to run is on the side of the highway. People have the ability to say anything they want when they drive by and they will always get away with it.

I prefer to run outside versus the treadmill because with a distance to run and the ability to stop anytime, it's a lot easier.

bcsr

I've had people yelling "your slow", "your fat", or anything like that in the past. But recently it's been nothing really.

Sorry to hear that. You could try running with headphones and music going. Won't hear anything but your music. It also helps by providing some cadence.

voodoochild16

Sorry to hear that. You could try running with headphones and music going. Won't hear anything but your music. It also helps by providing some cadence.

I pretty much have always ran with music on me. And at the gym. I could never go without it. But thanks for the tip anyways. For the reason you suggest is why I have headphones.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I don't know where you guys run but nobody shout stuff at running people where I live o_O
Maybe it's less likely to happen in big cities than small towns?

Anyway, about the OP's question, this is one thing I can't seem to get over yet. It's not a matter of place, it's a matter of people. I won't run unless I can do it without crossing anyone's path in a 100 meters radius. So I can only run when I manage to get up at 5:30 in the morning. :sarcastic: :eek:h:

I'm pretty sure the solution to that problem is just a matter of getting used to it though... As long as nobody starts shouting at me

Same as me almost. But there is a 4km run I'll usually only do a certain time of the day (9pm), and a hill close to me I will do anytime of the day since there usually isn't people walking up and down it, and only people walking by. But I guess the yelling problem is only something that happens in small towns. Music doesn't always help because you still know that the person driving by the yelled something at you still said something and even if you don't know what they said it's really annoying in the first place and it's hard to avoid negative thoughts even then. Even if someone told me to get over it, it's hard to do. That makes me unmotivated for running by itself. That causes me to avoid running at those times. I just wish there was a safe place to run at with no one around and no wildlife around.

chev

This has prevented me from running. I never have been very athletic, but recently have wanted to start running for stress relief. Unfortunately, I still haven't started out of fear of being judged by others. I try to think about running at odd hours or areas with less people, but those areas or times probably wouldn't be safe..so I'm left to either not run or just see if I'll eventually suck it up and run when there are others around. If I had money, I'd get a treadmill. (Although the outdoors are far more refreshing)