Fasting...

MaGuS

This is a little off topic, but I been thinking about going on a three day fast only drinking water to gain mental strength and growth. I was wondering if anyone in here has ever done something similiar, and what was it like?

Bexi

O wow! I'm not sure about three days, how about building up to three days magus??

PhantomPod

I've never fasted before, nor will I ever, as I don't believe in it. I believe that physical strength and health is just as important as mental health, and by drinking only water for 3 days straight, you're jeopardizing you physical strength and health.

MaGuS

Bexi/PhantomPod: I would definitely prepare my body for it and make sure I was mentally prepared. I have been reading a few stories on the internet from people who have fasted and three days seems to be a typical amount of time. So I don't think I would be jeopardizing my health at all. Of course, I am still going to do more research because this is something I feel I need to do.

4myself

Just out of curiosity can you explain how fasting may lead to improved mental strength?. Is it because you wont be focused on food and therefore able to focus on other things? I have always been curious about why people fast.

Boundless

Hmm interesting,i know i could easily go 3 days without food but thats not the real point,i never personaly got why people did it,but thats because i never looked into it really.

4myself

Wow Boundless, thats impressive!, I could't go three hours without food :lol: . Please MaGuS, enlighten us on the spiritual benefits of fasting, I couldn't do it myself, I would faint, I have a Christian friend who did it once but I couldn't really get a good answer out of her as to why.

Bexi

Surely it is linked to sacrifice in someway? I would suspect, but then I am no expert of course!! Like, during lent some people give up something they like/enjoy?

Boundless

Not impressive :? you could also do it if you wanted to,anyone can its possible as long as you drink plenty of water.

4myself

and dont have hypoglyceamia. :wink: I suspose if I did it, it could make for some very intersting low blood sugar induced posts here. Hey I might even go somewhere in my knickers. (refer to I'm going to the flower show..... post.)

Bexi

I gave up chocolate this lent! Me and my brother did it, he didn't last, I did! GO me!!

Boundless

I can do things like that just to prove people wrong lol,guess im easily manipulated like that :x

MaGuS

4myself: I believe fasting builds within you an incredible will or self-control and self-discipline. I also have read about people fasting and about how it awakened them mentally in someway. Then again, I have not done it yet, but if your interested in fasting, I can let you know when I do it what my experience is like.

Lost_Nomad

I fast. good for you MaGuS. I would be careful of avoiding food for that long though. for me i obstain from food and drink in the day and eat and drink when the sun sets. whats you goal ? maybe while you are fasting you can try to do things that you would find diffcult because of SA. Fasting is not about the food its about the will power, something i hav very little of, can even go one day without doing something that brakes my fast. :?

sensitive

well, some of you are surprised about his plan. what about this, every year i fast for a month (30 days) from early morning to sunset. now i am in the 5th day. this called Ramadan (a holy month for muslims) and we all have to fast this month. you can eat, drink just at night not during day.

SPECTACULAR

sensitive said:
well, some of you are surprised about his plan. what about this, every year i fast for a month (30 days) from early morning to sunset. now i am in the 5th day. this called Ramadan (a holy month for muslims) and we all have to fast this month. you can eat, drink just at night not during day.
Welcome back sensitive.
It's right what sensitive wrote. we , as muslims, aren't allowed to eat, drink, have sex, offend anyone, hurt anyone or say bad things to ohers for 12 hours.
It's healthy. Islamic instructions! :lol:

JWH

I've had to live off clear soup and jelly while taking laxatives for 24 hours and that was hard! Good luck!

redlady

Starving = mental awakening, that in itself sounds like a tempting reason.
But i get physically sick if i go mearge hours without food.
At stages i have had nothing but porridge to eat for days on end that's as close as i will ever come.
Empowerment through the denial of natural self preservation instincts - I just don't get it. :roll:

MaGuS

redlady: It seems to be the case from what I read. Most of them have these incredible mental experiences because of the mental disicpline their going through.

The reason why I feel fasting is so important is because your not born with will and fasting is one of the best ways to build it. Most people know how incredibly important will power can be and how much it could help them in their life.

And just as if you want to gain wisdom you have to undergo difficulties, fasting is one of the ways will power is gained. There is a Chinese proverb that says
"A gem cannot be polished without friction" and I don't think it gets any clearer then that.