Experiences with Citalopram (Celexa) ?

Elad

Banned
I just got put on 20mg citalopram for anxiety and I'm wondering what experiences people here have had with it? Anything really bad?

This is my first time taking any kind of anxiety drug so I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.. ::p:

Phil_i

I'm taking it now. I was on Cipralex for a while about a year ago and it never really seemed to have any effect (apart from shit side effects). I went to a new doctor a few weeks ago (can't go to my normal one cos i'm at uni) and he prescribed me Citalopram which is pretty much the exact same drug. I told him I'd taken Cipralex before but he still said to give it a try. So I'm taking Citalopram anyway, hopefully i can change to something else soon. This doctor is retarded.

Feels exactly the same as when I was on Cipralex (as I knew it would) so it doesn't really do anything for me. I think it has worked for some people though :/

This post has gotten pretty confusing but yeah- Cipralex/Citalopram: pretty much the same drug and neither work for me (so far).

Elad

Banned
That sucks to hear.. how long did you take it for?

Im just worried reading about weight gain and insomnia for people taking it. Did you experience any of that?

Meggerz88

I have been on it for several months now and have had no major problems. For awhile, it actually made me really tired and groggy, but I started taking it at night instead and now it is fine. I find it has really helped me with my anxiety. There are so many things I can do now without even thinking about it. I have heard it is hard to come off of though once you have been on it for awhile... but I think it is the kind of drug that you are intended to be on for awhile, so no problem there really. It just requires a slow weening period. Don't be discouraged if you have some side effects over the first little while (weeks)... Most drugs do cause some side effects for a little while until your body adapts and they go away. Anyway, best of luck! I hope it works smoothly for you.

DillJenkins

It is the only SSRI to ever have done anything for me. I tried Paxil, Lexapro, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Effexor for antidepressant meds. None of the others helped.

Celexa worked for aboot 5 months for me and it was like I was a new person but then it quit working. I was able to easily make phone calls and I have never done that in my life.

I have resumed taking Celexa and im taking it with Mirtazapine. Mirtazapine is said to work synergystically with SSRI's. The combo is called California Rocket Fuel if you want to google it.

I have only been on the Celexa for aboot 5 days and im getting the same side effects as before which is mainly appetite suppression. This is good for me cause when the appetite suppression left me last time is when the Celexa quit working.

The Mirtazapine is an excellent anti-depressant and the Celexa was excellent with SA so I am hoping the combo will work well for me.

PrettyBoy

I was on 20mg citalopram too. I didn't feel it helped me much though and gave me a weird buzzing sound in my ears. I just stopped taking it and actually felt better for it. I suppose it can help some people though so just give it a try.

Danfalc

Banned
Im just worried reading about weight gain and insomnia for people taking it. Did you experience any of that?

I was on it for about 7 months,I had problems sleeping but the doctor said that would ware off eventualy but I decided to change meds as I was getting no benefits.I also had sexual side affects off them.

Hope you have better luck on them!

lyricalliaisons

My mom has been on Celexa for years & it works very well for her. She's not herself when she's off it, actually. She becomes very agitated, angry, & very hard to deal with when she doesn't have it. Luckily, that's very rare.

Enialis227

Don't worry about preparing for the worst, because then you'll build up to the point where you think a small side-effect will escalate into the worst possible scenario, and want to stop the medication before you give it a chance. Don't worry too much.

Elad

Banned
Thanks for the replies guys its appreciated. ;)

Don't worry about preparing for the worst, because then you'll build up to the point where you think a small side-effect will escalate into the worst possible scenario, and want to stop the medication before you give it a chance. Don't worry too much.

Yeah I've thought about that too, lol sometimes its best to not look at wikipedia I guess.

Last edited:

cure

I'm on Celexa since 3 days and instead of making me less anxious it's making me depressed and more anxious. Is that normal?

DillJenkins

I'm on Celexa since 3 days and instead of making me less anxious it's making me depressed and more anxious. Is that normal?

Yes. This is completely normal. SSRI's usually make people worse for aboot 1-2 weeks before you get better.

Its because SSRI's work immediately on the brain and Celexa acts as an SRI on all receptor subtypes. I suspect that the immediate stimulation of 5-HT2C subtype is responsible for this initial anxiety. After several weeks of chronic dosing, your auto-receptors should begin to downregulate and positive effects should begin.

I suggest that you should take the SSRI for at least 1-2 months to see if it works.

cure

Yes. This is completely normal. SSRI's usually make people worse for aboot 1-2 weeks before you get better.

Its because SSRI's work immediately on the brain and Celexa acts as an SRI on all receptor subtypes. I suspect that the immediate stimulation of 5-HT2C subtype is responsible for this initial anxiety. After several weeks of chronic dosing, your auto-receptors should begin to downregulate and positive effects should begin.

I suggest that you should take the SSRI for at least 1-2 months to see if it works.

Thanks. :D