Everything....

lunarla

Is it possible to comfortably exist as everything? Like, as all the different facets of yourself in harmony with one another? None of them opposing, etc. Essentially, be completely yourself, I guess. What I do, is I tend to just let other people set the tone for what things I'll choose to let out. I don't know, everyone must do that though, right. But gah, it sucks to feel like I act different and feel different in all these situations. Like, I'm being fake or something. But maybe it's that they all are genuinely me to some extent..... I don't know. I hope that's it. Maybe I am everything that I put out, but the only reason why I feel this question in me is because we always put limits on ourselves and everyone else.

Mind you, I haven't slept in about 26 hours.

danstelter

That seems to be an inherently human thing to do. People always present what they think are the best parts of themselves that others want to see, which means that somehow they are closing off parts of themselves which are them, but maybe not necessarily what they think others want to see. As a social anxiety sufferer, I tend to close off more of myself than the average person, I think.

Minty

I don't think it's fake. I think we subconsciously read people and let out parts of ourselves that the other person needs to see in that moment.

One of my friends is really emotional and reflects a lot on her own issues. So I'm always there if she needs to talk about those things. I've always wanted to be a counselor (SA has made that impossible), so that facet I show when I'm talking to her is a part of me. I have another friend who is more like me. We avoid talking about our emotions because it's awkward. So, instead, we discuss our interests. I would never ask about her issues but I would do this with my other friend. It's not that I don't care or that I'm changing my personality. Just showing different parts because different people need to see those different parts.

Everyone does this. Of course, it's pretty much something we're not conscious of. There is such a thing as over-analyzing and it can create a lot of stress.

Another good example would be children vs. your age group vs. the elderly. Would you use bad language around children or the elderly? I hope not! But most in your age group wouldn't mind. It's also likely that you could tell a joke to one of those groups but not to the other two. It doesn't mean you're being fake, just considerate.