Emotion and Feelings: Why do we even care?

Anubis

I'm really starting to become disillusioned with society's infatuation with emotion in general. Why do we spend so much time rectifying such a fleeting phenomenon? We work so hard trying to be "positive" and "at peace" while the rest of our lives are just collapsing around us. We fight this war against "emotion" so we can control it, but as soon as we "control" it, it's changes form and defeats us again.

I mean, I'm serious. I've practically been on an emotional crusade for about 5 years now (ever since I found out I had "social phobia"). I've spent years trying to find the "secret" cure to being emotionally stable. I've even written a complete biography of myself from day 1! (It's freakin 25 pages, single-spaced, 9-font). All of this just to find that maleficent "event" that triggered my apparent social phobia, but it's all been for naught. As soon as I think I found my "problem", I just run into another problem. It's like a wild-goose chase that never ends, heh.

And what do I have to show for it? A failed academic career, a social life that's still practically identical to what it was 5 years ago, and a life that's extremely inefficient in general (I accomplish very little every day).

Sometimes I wonder if society's successful people even really give a shit about their emotions (to the extent of allowing them to dictate their actions)? Maybe that's why they get so much shit done?

But yea, I just felt I had to air my opinion out. I'm not necessarily looking for a response, but feel free to do so if inclined.

Last edited:

Silvox Black

You focus far too much on the scientific and practical aspects of it my friend. Emotion is something we attempt to control yes, but it is not something wrong, something horrible. It is merely the end result of actions we commit. Yes, to be perfect would to be without emotion, yet we are human and in my belief, I've found that a dash of passion, logic, and emotion combined together brings a new understanding of life. It is not about being emotionally stable, but adhering to your own principles and beliefs that brings that emotional peace. May I ask if you have ever bothered to empathize before? My apologies for such an assumption but it would seem to be as if you are a very practical/scientifically oriented fellow, perhaps missing out on the applications and ramifications to reality such actions and thoughts bear?

cosmosis

Emotions is the driving force behind how we fix things and how we adapt to the world. If you didn't have emotions, you would never readjust to the loss of loved one. Every task would be done poorly without desire because the driving motivation is not there. Your life would lose any meaning without pain or joy or emotions.

You can never control emotion or stop it. That desire creates emotion by itself and only feeds it. All you can do is live your life and let your emotions do what they need to do to get you where you want in life. I was born with very strong emotions. I see it as both a curse and a gift. With great pain, comes the potential for great joy.