drugs for social anxiety

Anonymous

:oops: I just found this site and decided to post a question, I've had social anxiety for about 20 yrs now, I just turned 30 last week, I take clomipromine for OCD but now I feel I need something for the social anxiety, which has gotton so bad I've spent the better part of my life isolated and alone.
I can handle moderate crowds as long as nobody I don;t know does not talk to me when that happens I start saying to myself I've gote to get out of here and I leave as fast as I can.

the question is what meds have worked for you?
I just got out of hospital following a suicide attempt while I was there they gave me ativan and haldol, but when I was released they said they would not prescribe these drugs to me because they can become addictive and the body developes a tolorance to them rather quick.

any suggestions would be great thanks.

Anonymous

Personally I find that seroxat helps with my SP. I know that there have been lots of scare stories in the media about this drug but its working for me. My doctor started me off on a very low dose for the first few weeks because of the side effects. Although my SP doesn't completely disappear whilst i'm on them it definately takes the edge off and helps with my depression. Have a good chat with your doctor before you try them though, I know they don't suit everyone, and I know they are not a cure but they help me to do things I wouldn't normally do such as join groups, go to college, go to therapy etc, things that DO and have improved my SP.
PS:I read another message here about the benefits of vitamin B6. I have also found that taking B6 is very helpful.

Good Luck!

Yossarian

I've only ever tried seroxat which didn't help me much. I wish I could help more but there's usually alot of stuff about meds around here and other sites.

Wish you luck and hope you find something that can help you.

nishah

im not sure if this drug is familiar to u all since i live in a small country.. but ive been taking RIVOTRIL for months now they say that it is addictive but im trying my best to have self control.. it has been a great help for me, it lessen my anxiety around people and if it wasn't for that drug then i won't be able to go to college and act i think "normally" around people.. but we should not depend on the drugs that our therapists have been prescribing us all our lives.. ur determination and utmost desire to be treated i think is the best way that could help us overcome this... Good luck to us!

Anonymous

while clomipramine works for ocd,it doesnt help for social phobia,u can try
any ssri(paxil,celexa,zoloft,...)which helps for both and can help for depression too.

Anonymous

sorry to say it, but Id prefer being hopelessly addicted to something that helps my sa.... if Im going to be on meds forever anyway, whats the diff if its something "addicting" like valium or xanax... the good shit is all addicting, to bad for us huh?!

GettingThere

Don't know why but doctors round my part have suddenly decied that valium is the devil. No one wants to prescibe it anymore after years of dishing it out on a how-much-would-you-like basis. I realise that its addictive but I don't think that its as bad as they think. I took it for years and had no major problem giving it up and I'm not superman by any stretch.