Driving Anxiety

jryden

Anyone else deal with driving anxiety? I can't drive anymore (not as often). I rarely used the highway before but now I completely avoid them. I can only drive on side roads and even that is scary.

I'm being yelled at by ppl in the car and they don't ****in get it. I have to avoid jobs that are further away because I cannot drive there. Its almost impossible to pay attention to everything in the car. The mirrors, steering wheel, radio, gas, break. With the gas, I get "jelly legs". I feel like I have very little control it.

How can I deal with this or get better?

PGT

I have been driving over 15 years and I am perfectly fine until I go somewhere new and then I start to freak out. I find it so hard to read the signs and get in the right lanes while trying to control the car. My legs often start to shake and I get really bad headaches and have to pull over. There are 4 different ways I can get to work but I only use 1, tried the others but found them just to stressful.

jryden

I have been driving over 15 years and I am perfectly fine until I go somewhere new and then I start to freak out. I find it so hard to read the signs and get in the right lanes while trying to control the car. My legs often start to shake and I get really bad headaches and have to pull over. There are 4 different ways I can get to work but I only use 1, tried the others but found them just to stressful.

I think most people get nervous driving in new places especially if you're looking for a specific place rather than just driving around. But thats normal, I can't drive anywhere. I feel like I need to go to driving school bc even the simplest things dont come as easy anymore.

Dennis1980

I don't even have a license. I took a few courses, but it winded up being a waste of time. I was a mess, and I have no interest right now learning it.

SilentAndShy

Yup, I do. Mine is a long story which you can check out here.

But my confidence is at rock bottom, I'd barely trust myself to start the car up, never mind drive it! Part of me wishes I hadn't bought the damn thing and just survived on buses whilst the other part of me thinks, as time develops and I feel better about myself that I can take steps to improve my confidence on the road.