Dont you get this Remark??

Faded

When my parents relised im social pobic (/ severe Shyness) and facing alot of anxiety ..
They kept it hangin' around ppl / strangers ..
like :-" OH DONT BE SHY .. " or
PPL:- " WHY ARE YOU SHY?!!"

My parents have asked me once about the shyness ..
They've told me :-
" YOUR SMART AND PRETTY! SO WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT TO YOURSELF!" .. I was shocked tht they've relised my bad behavior!
I didnt know wat 2 say .. I was SHY!! :oops:

:roll: Its the Same when im around my friends ..
They keep taggin me 'round with my silence and shyness ..
like :- " DONT BE STUPID, WHY ARE YOU SHY!!"
or "EH DAMN SHE'S ALWAYS SHY, WHY!!?"
and "WTF,SHE'S ACTIN' LIKE A FOOL!"

I mean this is all so painful .. i dont like 2 hear tht ppl are annoyed from who i am .. i really hate 2 be shy!
But together with that, i dont like ppl 2 know im shy! cuz i kno they'll keep teasin' me with tht! n' it gets
me even more shy! I totally blush!

I hate 2 hear it from my parents .. from my own family .. from strangers!

I've been hearing all these remarks all the time .. of WHY BEING SHY!!
n' I cant stand it anymore! I've been hurt dealing with it and its getting me 2 nowhere!

I was wondering .. If any of you have recieved those remarks?
And did it make it worse?

Crimefish

It's so rude to criticise someone for an aspect of their personality that doesn't affect anyone but them.
When people ask me why I'm shy (which they usually don't, they usually think I'm confident but too good to talk to them) I usually can think of something witty and/or sarcastic to say:
"Why are you so loud?"
"I'm not shy... I'm studying my prey."

black_mamba

Hehe Crimefish, we need more one liners to shut up people who think its ok to behave rudely towards quiet people because they're socially outcasted. Its not neccessarily a bad thing, and a pinch of common sense and sensitivity might indicate that a comment like 'why don't you speak?' hurts us a lot.

I'm studying my prey... :lol:

Faded

_

hehehehehe .. :lol:

:p "Im not shy .. im studying my prey!"

Good one, CrimeFish :wink:

GettingThere

Someone once wrote, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.".

It is good to make light of the situation and not be too harsh on yourself.

maggie

i had one customer say to me, really snotty... "you have the voice of a quiet little mouse, i can't even hear you!" i was so mad :evil: ....but, of course, couldn't say anything :roll:

black_mamba

In the same vein, one of my classmates said to me and one other student I was talking to, "you've both got the quietest voices in the world" to which we both turned to each other and mouthed the rest of our conversation to annoy her. :lol:

i dont get offended by those statements, im being offended by myself for i cannot speak. i heard someone talking about me being a "social disgrace" which is true most of the time :cry: plus i suffer from major depression... in total im already dead.

I once had a guy at work say to me(other people in the room too,and he said it quite loud)'why are you so quiet?' my face must of been the color of a tomato. I think its such a stupid question because it only makes one uncomfortable :oops:

SilentBrook

I have been occasionally asked why I am so quiet. Personally, it's never bothered me and because people asked out of curiousity, never out of offence or the sort. I used to be rather curious about it myself.

TheLioness9345

IT's kinda interesting because with me people aren't loud and rude about it...they kinda baby me "aww... why are you so quiet" "awww but you're so shy" "aww why are you so shy" and stuff like that. Which can be really annoying.

But then you can think of it as a good thing to be quiet sometimes because then you know you won't be one of those people who are all loud and obnoxious and annoying. :D

Tsubaki

But doesn't it seem like you can be annoyingly shy?

I'm sure I come across in a really weird way since when others smile at me, it's like I'm unable to smile back.

The long silences in between conversations while you scramble to find something to say, and when you do it comes out wrong.

I even have this habit or strategically planning the route I walk through the office; if I spot someone at a distance, I'll walk in a way such as to avoid saying "Hi... how are you", making the obligatory eye contact and faking the smile.

Social norms are such a pain in the arse!

But getting back to the subject, people usually say I'm "different" instead of why are you so shy. My boss said that I have good electronic troubleshooting skills and a HALF-DECENT PERSONALITY. :roll:

I don't strategically plan my route or anything, but I hate it when I walk passed people I'm kinda mates with, I never know if I should just say hi, or if I should stop and chat :s and on bad days I just try to stare at the ground and not walk too close to them in the hope that they won't notice me.

It's also horrible when you're on the phone to a 'kinda' mate and you get the long silences and you're desperately trying to fill them and you end up talking about all kinds of stupid stuff that afterwards you feel so daft for saying! Lol

Naomi x

jazz

Today my friends decided to abandon me, (how can u abandon a shy girl?) so i was left with one of my other friends and ppl i didn't know, as i didn't know them i wasn't talking it had only been about 3minutes and one girl just said you can talk you know, i felt helpless and nearly cried.

I also hate it when ppl say,
one day she'll break out of her shell
and 'we don't bite.'
it just makes me feel even worse.

I know, they act like we are going through some weird phase that we'll grow out of or something. There's nothing wrong with being shy, just cos they want to be loud doesn't mean we want to be. Do we moan at them and tell them to stop talking constantly :p he he

Naomi x

2QuietForThem

Crimefish, love your reply to rude questions ("I'm not shy. I'm studying my prey.") I'm writing that one down. I'd like to put it on a sign in my cubicle at work, but then the loud people would freak and say that I'm out to get them. "Hey, you can't trust those quiet people!"

2QuietForThem

Wow! Tsubaki, everything you’ve written could have been written by me. Smiling and saying “hello” to people – I try to avoid it at all costs. Did my hello come out as a mumble?

My office area has two entrances. Approaching them, I have to make a quick decision of which one to enter. Through the door that takes me past the most people and is further from my desk, or the shortcut which takes me past two of the talkingest people on the planet.

I’m a 40 yr old black male, and I’m not trying to throw race into this, so if I’m offending anyone, I apologize up front. But I guess black people see themselves as a group who can easily socialize together. I can’t get into that crap! I don’t get invited to their outings (from the Rudolph song “they never let poor Rudolph…join in any reindeer games”). I’ve been told 50 million times that I don’t act black because I'm too quiet. The icing to that was when I was asked if I was raised by someone of another race because I don’t act “right.” Hmph! – Just like Crimefish said earlier on this topic, “I’m studying my prey”.
:twisted:

hereshy

some people i know say to me "don't be shy" EH easy for them to say that sicne they r not shy. And sometimes people will say" oh, she is shy" I kinda don't mind them saying that because i don't have to explain to them why i'm so quiet.