Does "soothing" music make anyone else nervous?

gsmax5

Whenever I am in a situation of extreme stress, disappointment, or failure, the absolute worst thing for me to listen to is "soothing" music.

I'm not sure why, but calm music just makes me about 50x more ashamed of myself when I'm sad or stressed.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I listen to music depending of my mood. If I'm depressed I will choose depressing music, if I'm angry I will choose more "violent" songs, if I'm cheerful I will choose something a little happier... That's how it works for me. Otherwise it would be useless, probably annoying.

I listen to music depending of my mood. If I'm depressed I will choose depressing music, if I'm angry I will choose more "violent" songs, if I'm cheerful I will choose something a little happier... That's how it works for me. Otherwise it would be useless, probably annoying.

I am EXACTLY the same!:eek:

Lost_Soul

Exactly the same, i listen to elvis to slipknot to 2pac and everything in beteen, all depends on the mood, i like music that has meaning whether bad, depressing,happy etc......takes me to a dream world and makes me escape from this world. Its the same with movies too.

Walk

Not really. I like listening to laid back music as long as I'm not tense about anything.

Richey

actually it calms me down and i find it relaxing, especially boards of canada and aphex twin ambient works II, also the GORRO EP!. sigur ros, very ambient and escapist music.

upbeat rocky/punky/poppy music is more for when i'm feeling happy and excited.

ive been listening to queens of the stone age, radiohead, elvis costello, velvet underground, presidents of the united states and flaming lips alot lately but at night i play a relaxing mixtape

rescued

I do this as well. Upbeat music actually makes me feel worse if I'm feeling downbeat, I just feel like I'm having someone else's good fortune pushed down my throat and my face being rubbed in it and stuff.

CPA23

I'm actually the complete opposite. I love good music to temporarily relieve me of my anxiety. Music is so therapeutic to me. It really calms me down and makes me less anxious.

Luke1993

I seem to hate all music lol. It just doesn't appeal to me. Video game music i like, but I suppose yuo can't really class that.

hippiechild

Whenever I am in a situation of extreme stress, disappointment, or failure, the absolute worst thing for me to listen to is "soothing" music.

I'm not sure why, but calm music just makes me about 50x more ashamed of myself when I'm sad or stressed.

Totallies! ..perhaps one of the most uncomfortable feelings! It reminds me of the sensation that you get when you're panicking about something and everyone else around you is oblivious to the calamity, continuing on as usual... "Holy moley, what am I going to do?!.. and why the hell is everyone just standing around?!?!"

Like that, except all inside myself: my body instinctually relaxing and my brain freaking out because, well, it's an emergency, no frawking time to be relaxing!! I've gotta do things, prepare for the danger, flee the scene or fight for my life!

"It's your basic sort of crisis in the savanna there. You're running for your life, something's coming after you, this is no time to plan for next winter's growth spurt! ...there's a lion two steps behind you, ovulate some other time!" -Robert Sapolsky

Last edited: