Do you Hate admiting that you have SocialPhobia to people ?

D

deleted #89

You really don't have to say anything you know.....don't put that label on yourself so much. You EXPERIENCE anxiety and " shyness" and most of the time you are doing fine but failed to see it . If you label yourself you dont leave room for change or improvement. You get stuck !

Bo592

ever time I try to say I have Social Phobia to somebody they start looking at me like I am retarted and then they stop trying to talk to me. Sometimes they make me feel like it a sin to have SA like I am sombody who should be avioded. I go on hoping the words would come to me the more I try to act normal but the words never shows up in my mind. The more I try to make it look like I don`t have SA the more it shows that I do.

bsammy

yeah where im from it would be the kiss of death to admit i have avoidant pd or social phobia..its bad enough im seen as being very introverted, much less the other 2..i would recommend people to never admit these disorders to other unless they are close family.

WeirdyMcGee

Anyone who bothers to have a conversation with me rather than simply asking for something from me - will know.
My whole family knows, any acquaintances know. I don't have trouble saying it.

There are other things I don't talk about that are much worse (in my opinion) than having panic/anxiety disorders (depression, BDD...) and agoraphobia.
So, no... I don't hate admitting it.

Aletheia

I don't think it's ever occurred to me to tell anybody.

(Even though it may be the most fundamental thing about myself that's possible to put into words.)

Kiwong

The most frightening thing is to tell people about your anxiety and for them not to believe you.

Anyone who bothers to have a conversation with me rather than simply asking for something from me - will know.
My whole family knows, any acquaintances know. I don't have trouble saying it.

There are other things I don't talk about that are much worse (in my opinion) than having panic/anxiety disorders (depression, BDD...) and agoraphobia.
So, no... I don't hate admitting it.

Same here, It's better to tell, so they will understand why i'm different sometimes.. LOL

People who will say you are retarted or think like that, they just don't know.

Darryl

ever time I try to say I have Social Phobia to somebody they start looking at me like I am retarted and then they stop trying to talk to me. Sometimes they make me feel like it a sin to have SA like I am sombody who should be avioded. I go on hoping the words would come to me the more I try to act normal but the words never shows up in my mind. The more I try to make it look like I don`t have SA the more it shows that I do.

First up it's your perception of how things went according to the SA / AvPD.
I would say you not going to walk up to anyone and blurt out I have SA, so you're going to be very selective to who you tell.

And, telling this person would be of signifigance to you.
We are very sensitive so who we speak to and what we say is guarded, so when we finally say something we want them to respond according to our mood or pre-conception.

If we were able to go back in time and find out what they really thought, I'm sure you would feel a little better.

I'm not downplaying your feelings as I know them all to well, but I also know how judgement is influcenced from that learned behavour of defence.
I know my comments may sound abrupt and some including yourself may want to sink the boots into me- but I'm answering your question as honest as possible.

Seabreeze

I don't say anything unless the issue arises e.g I don't go into my work canteen and have been asked in several times by work mates but I have just said that I don't feel "comfortable" where there is a large gathering of people.
I have no problems with people one to one so I try to be as honest as I can hopefully people are sensitive enough to read between the lines :)

Bo592

First up it's your perception of how things went according to the SA / AvPD.
I would say you not going to walk up to anyone and blurt out I have SA, so you're going to be very selective to who you tell.

And, telling this person would be of signifigance to you.
We are very sensitive so who we speak to and what we say is guarded, so when we finally say something we want them to respond according to our mood or pre-conception.

If we were able to go back in time and find out what they really thought, I'm sure you would feel a little better.

I'm not downplaying your feelings as I know them all to well, but I also know how judgement is influcenced from that learned behavour of defence.
I know my comments may sound abrupt and some including yourself may want to sink the boots into me- but I'm answering your question as honest as possible.
I thank the same thing sometimes No you did not downplay me by telling me that. I alway worry if I should be more worried about what people are thanking of me or what I am thanking about me. of course the answer is what I am thanking about me. You will always be your biggest credit. So no you did not hurt me I agree.

Moo

I hate telling people about it because I still sometimes like to think they maybe see me as "normal" or haven't noticed how uncomfortable I am in certain situations (it's silly really). I think it's obvious to others that there's something different about me so I feel like I don't really have to explain. There's only one person who knows the depth of how SA affects me and I feel like that's enough (because he's the only one I really trust). So yeah I do hate letting other people know, it terrifies me actually. Although I hate it, I'm content enough with people assuming I'm just shy even though there's more to it than that.

polishgirl

I haven't used the term "SocialPhobia" yet and I guess I won't. I've come to terms with that but I would be unable to accept that everybody around me knows. I feel like it will scare away some people, too. But I do talk about how hard for me it is to accept myself and that I'm full of insecurities. I shouldn't though, it has been used against me so many times. People feel that I am a weak person and decide they can do anything they want to with me. But I'm used to it by now :)
I must admit though, there is this side of me that likes telling that to people. Because sometimes I hear "But for what reason? Why are you so insecure? Nothing's wrong with you!". And I like the sound of it. Sometimes I even believe it for a second.

Last edited:

Silatuyok

I'd say that my biggest fear is that people will notice that I am afraid of socializing, so I do everything I can to make people think I do have those normal social skills when I want to. So yes, I'd be pretty afraid to admit it to anyone outside my family.

KiaKaha

Banned
I am ashamed to admit it. I feel embarrassed by it. Social confidence is something that comes so naturally to people it seems. I dont really feel like people can be bothered understanding social phobia. If you are quiet, generally you are left out and overlooked. Its an extremely unattractive trait. I have told people because I have seeked help so many times now... It has made me feel isolated and depressed but no one gets it... I mean..no one truly gets it. So I just keep it to myself.

coyote

I don't think it's ever occurred to me to tell anybody.

(Even though it may be the most fundamental thing about myself that's possible to put into words.)

I have not told anybody and have no intention of doing so.

I'd say that my biggest fear is that people will notice that I am afraid of socializing, so I do everything I can to make people think I do have those normal social skills when I want to. So yes, I'd be pretty afraid to admit it to anyone outside my family.

these three sum up my feelings

Mike135

I hate telling people about it because I still sometimes like to think they maybe see me as "normal" or haven't noticed how uncomfortable I am in certain situations (it's silly really). I think it's obvious to others that there's something different about me so I feel like I don't really have to explain. There's only one person who knows the depth of how SA affects me and I feel like that's enough (because he's the only one I really trust). So yeah I do hate letting other people know, it terrifies me actually. Although I hate it, I'm content enough with people assuming I'm just shy even though there's more to it than that.

I think the same as Moo. I never told it to anybody and I don’t see myself doing it at all, because I feel more comfortable if people simply see me as a very introverted person. The term SA is too powerful in a daily conversation that I hate to use it.