Do you ever feel nothing ever lives up to your expectations in life?

kotulakj2

The thing is I'm introverted, but for so many years before I became introverted I tried new things and experienced so many different things but none of them actually made me truly happy. I once did enjoy things that made me happy, but since our society has changed so much over the course of time and my high expectations have not lowered I have not been able to get myself interested in the things I once enjoyed. My expectations are very very high for pretty much everything. I mean to give you an example as a kid I used to cry and build high anxiety whenever I received a grade of a B on a test and didn't get the A every time. My friend believe it or not did every time where he got an A on a test. Sure it's understandable not everything in life works perfectly for people and rejection does happen, but surely people do have expectations that get fulfilled with things they do in life and are able to adjust their expectations so they are having a good time with things they do. I just can't seem to ever lower my expectations on anything at all and none of my expectations ever get fulfilled. Therefore I can't seem to feel the need to get out and socialize a ton, because I just don't see the value in making friends when my expectations for fun are always sky high. Sure I did go to a happy hour last night and did socialize with people, but whatever I engage in isn't because I enjoy it but more just for the sake of doing so to satisfy others. I never say to myself oh man my expectations were fulfilled, that was awesome but just it was okay!

Even when I'm watching sports my favorite team winning isn't enough anymore like it used to be unless they build their winning team the way I would enjoy watching them most. So I can't seem to get invested in actually enjoying watching sports even though I do it for my family. And a lot of times even when it appears among people that I'm having a good time doing active things, I'm actually really not I'm just pretending to have a good time so as to not upset other people.

I mean even if my expectations were very very high for everything one would think I would luck into meeting one of those very high expectations provided I worked really really hard at it which I always do. A very very high expectation is never impossible to achieve things, but if it never happens where not even one of my high expectations are achieved then it's like why even bother making friends, having fun, and making something of life to the fullest?

Last edited:

Kiwong

My expectations have been well and truly exceeded at times. And that surprised me.

When I expect to be happy that's when I'm not. If I am open to experience, and put myself into situations where happiness might manifest itself, sometimes happiness arrives for the briefest of moments. And those brief moments can be magnificent, but if I try to hold on to them they vanish like smoke.

I get these rushes of happiness, when I make an effort, face uncertainty and push through to the other side of the line of pain and doubt. Most of my happiest moments have been during or after running races. I can also find happiness taking photos of a sunrise when the light changes to something beautiful and I am blown away by it.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Socializing and watching sports are very boring, no wonder it doesn't meet your expectations :D

If there's really nothing you enjoy doing that you can think of, maybe it just mean that you need to try new things.

Oizys

I've kind of stopped doing things people go on and on about as being totally amazing. I refused to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy for years, I finally did last year and it was ok, I wasn't blown away by it so I felt disappointed. I felt the same about The Dark Knight, but I saw that one when it came out because the Joker is the greatest villain of all time. That too was alright.

I find most social interactions to be overrated and slightly disappointing too.

For a long time I've lived with the motto ''if you don't get your hopes up, you can't be disappointed''.

A86

I wonder if by continually turning your thoughts inwards (what most introverts do?) there is less stimuli from the outside environment?
Be difficult for the real world to live up to the "expectations" of our refined view of how things are or ought to be in our heads.

tamercloud

I agree with what the first guy said, just don't have expectations. Just go into things trying to get the most of it, even if you have to pretend. That's how kids have so much fun. They have no expectations.

Kiwong

I've kind of stopped doing things people go on and on about as being totally amazing. I refused to watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy for years, I finally did last year and it was ok, I wasn't blown away by it so I felt disappointed. I felt the same about The Dark Knight, but I saw that one when it came out because the Joker is the greatest villain of all time. That too was alright.

I find most social interactions to be overrated and slightly disappointing too.

For a long time I've lived with the motto ''if you don't get your hopes up, you can't be disappointed''.

My motto is "If you stay open to hope, you might be surprised.