Do you ever feel like you are unwanted or disliked on this forum?

79_89_99IneIneIne

I don't know if it is just my anxiety that makes me think that people on this forum and other forums I belong to do not like me or if I really am unwanted. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Nack

Banned
Sometime you just gotta tell yourself to man up and ignore what other things of you... I don't even know you that much so i can't hate you, and i'm pretty sure others are the same.

I think your just paranoid.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Not unwanted, but I feel I talk a lot of crap that makes no sense and people who read my posts are laughing at them :D

Yes, I think that's your anxiety speaking. People here have no reasons to dislike you, in fact, there's probably many ones who feel like you.

blue-roses

Absolutely; I've already considered leaving this forum several times because I feel ignored. It's not just this one, though - I leave every board I'm on eventually for the same reason.

Yes, I feel the same. Because I am ignored a lot of times. Not so much in hear, but in other forums "normal" people do ignore me a lot. Is it my writing style? Is it something else? Don't know.

Guys think of it this way instead. Do you answer other peoples posts/thread. I am sure you guys do but you do not answer all. So to those people you are ignoring them also.

Nicholas

I very often feel ignored, but after considering everything more carefully (CBT style), I usually realize that:

1) I might feel ignored because I expect others to pay too much attention to me. I have very high expectations (which could be called "dreams" sometimes).

2) I might be ignored by most people because that's what I do too: I just ignore most of the posts. Who answers in every thread to every post? No one. Most just answer in some thread, to some posts, which means we are all ignoring each other most of the time, in practice.

3) No one even reads all of the posts once the thread has become long enough. Long posts tend to be skipped or are not read completely too.

The most important point is point no. 1 though. Too high expectations. If you want others to pay attention to you, it's just because you need someone and you are tired to be lonely.
So now I would like to get at least ten replies from nice pretty girls, saying "Oh my god, I agree with you, I'm in love with you, let's meet and make a baby and live together in my castle cuz I'm a princess"... but that would still be my "too high expectations". With all this in mind, I'll find it reasonable to just expect maybe only one "I agree with you" from anybody, and that's it. :)

I very often feel ignored, but after considering everything more carefully (CBT style), I usually realize that:

1) I might feel ignored because I expect others to pay too much attention to me. I have very high expectations (which could be called "dreams" sometimes).
That is exactly what I think and how I have been behaving. I am trying to change this.
It's hard though I guess I have been at it for 28 years so it is not something I will be able to change over night.

Well said.

Harleyq

This is the only forum that I haven't felt ignored on. I find SPW members to be very supportive. However, every other forum I join, I feel like nobody's interested in me at all and I feel ignored.

lunarla

Yes, and I was thinking of this the other day actually. It doesn't really break my heart or anything, but it's at the back of my mind. As with any forum, there are originals and people that have been here longer and already have formed some kind of union in a way. Although this is probably the best community on a forum I've ever experienced, I still feel a little left out sometimes. Like I'm too young or something, I don't know.

Silvox Black

Oh most certainly I feel that way. Quite often I feel that my words are disregarded since I have no intellectual worth whatsoever, thus I wonder "why bother"?

i just want to say i'm surprised that you guys feel that way - you all seem like such a part of the forum, even the newer members. i always feel like an outsider. it must be due to the desire for more feedback and acknowledgement, which is maybe a bit hard to come by on a site full of slightly avoidant people. but i really appreciate reading what you guys write.

Oh yeah, that is exactly how I feel actually. I don't blame people for not liking me though, I always make pretty stupid posts.

Harleyq

Oh most certainly I feel that way. Quite often I feel that my words are disregarded since I have no intellectual worth whatsoever, thus I wonder "why bother"?

I highly doubt that. I read your profile and you're studying to be a psychologist and you enjoy debating. If you're successfully pulling that off, there's no way you don't have any intellectual worth. You have to be open-minded and able to see many sides of an argument, which is more than what most people do.

I have a feeling that some members (on any message board, not just this one) feel the way you do and try to compensate by purposefully writing things they feel will make others regard them as intelligent and/or cultured, without fully realizing that they already make worthwhile contributions to the forums when they're not trying so hard.

Predacon

Its just the nature of forums. People can put stuff up but that doesn't mean other users are going to read it or reply. I wouldn't put too much stock in how people reply.

Silvox Black

I highly doubt that. I read your profile and you're studying to be a psychologist and you enjoy debating. If you're successfully pulling that off, there's no way you don't have any intellectual worth. You have to be open-minded and able to see many sides of an argument, which is more than what most people do.

I have a feeling that some members (on any message board, not just this one) feel the way you do and try to compensate by purposefully writing things they feel will make others regard them as intelligent and/or cultured, without fully realizing that they already make worthwhile contributions to the forums when they're not trying so hard.

Ha. Simply wishing to become a psychologist and actually achieving that goal are not one and the same. I will not say that I am intelligent until my actions can prove such a claim. For me, I do not see myself successfully studying and debating. If anything I am caught in a mire of my own ineptitude. I attempt to be open minded, yet all I see is a pathetic little boy trying to be older in a world that does not want him.