Do breathing exercises really work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeb

Banned
If you have a panic attack, what’s the first thing that you should do? Slow your breathing.

Yes, I know… it is easy for me to say sitting behind a keyboard, calm as a cucumber.

Nevertheless, you can do this with a little conscious effort. The reason you are suffering a panic attack is because your breathing has gone AWOL and you are suffering from the effects of an adrenaline rush.

If you were to go to a hypnotherapist or Cognitive Behavioral Therapist who does breathing exercises, they will tell you to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. If you continue to do this, your breathing will slow down. This is something to bear in mind the next time you have a panic attack. Although, I hope you never have another one for the rest of your life.

You will find that while you are doing the breathing exercise, that the oxygen and carbon dioxide in your body becomes more balanced. When this happens, it means that your lungs will not hurt so much when you breathe, your heart rate starts to regain its natural rhythm and you start to feel better.

I have suffered Panic attacks before, so understand exactly how it feels to hyperventilate, sweat, feel sick, dizzy, and convince myself that I am dying or going very mad.

However, keeping a positive attitude, and working on your breathing exercises will help you to gain some sort of control. On top of that, visit a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist, hypnotherapist or a Therapist who deals with Anxiety Management. You will normally find Anxiety management courses advertised at your local Library. Classes in Anxiety management will teach you a few relaxation techniques that will work these include the breathing exercises.

What to do in a panic attack all depends on how much control you have over your own body. A good thing to work on is this…

It does not matter whether you are suffering from a panic attack or not. Spend a few minutes every day working on your breathing. Then you know how it feels to control your breathing.

When you next have a panic, attack you can recall the experience you have gained by learning to control your breathing. Breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose.

You will now gain control.

Status
Not open for further replies.