Did you hear about this in the news?

Lamb

Black Range Rover runs over bikers in NYC (Original) HD - YouTube

It's such a random, disturbing occurrence it's been weighing on my mind all day. Everyone at work was talking about it. I've been feeling a general heavy sadness in the back of my mind about the situation, though I'm glad the family in the range rover are ok. The biker who was run over and is in critical didn't provoke the situation but that doesn't make him any less accountable, does it? His family is trying to press blame on the father who had a family to protect because he didn't STOP?? He did stop!

Stay and be surrounded by 20-30 bikers threatening you because you bumped into a biker who stopped short purposely, or try to make an escape, inevitably escalating the situation. If he was able to maintain a good speed and could have stayed on the highway, I wonder if the police would have dispatched in time to have prevented the man getting beaten. They could've sent a helicopter to keep a birds eye view on the direction they were headed in.

It also makes me question what I would have done in a situation like that, if there wasn't a child in the car. My mate gets pulled out of the car and beaten..would I continue to run over motorcyclists, or sit there in fear? If I had a gun, I think I would've still been ganged up on, but would it have intimidated the aggressors and made them reconsider? If it's a group of bikers (don't think it's a gang affiliation) whose going to be the first person to risk getting shot, right? Had the police not arrived shortly after they caught up to SUV, the bikers probably would have killed the driver.

There are so many factors to consider.

The stuff that happens here is INSANE. And it's going to be in the news for so long I'm going to get sick of hearing about it. What are your thoughts on the situation?

Blah, angry. :thumbdown: I hope justice is served.

Last edited:

Ithior

“They’re making the riders out to be bad people. They’re not,” Santiago insisted from her Lawrence home Tuesday.

Oh wow.

Agent_Violet

They surrounded the SUV and the one who got hit actually cut the SUV off and slowed down quickly after cutting the SUV off. At one point he actually attempts to bully the SUV out of the lane by riding next to the SUV in the same lane.

I used to be a rider and these guys on the sport bikes are just looking for a fight.They have no regard for their own safety nor the safety of others.

jaim38

That's scary. I don't know who started this. Why were the bikers chasing after the SUV? What did the man in the SUV do to provoke them? We don't know all the facts in this case. I'll leave it up to the police/jury/system to investigate.

Lamb

Biker surrenders to New York cops after another arrested for accident that caused attack on SUV driver - NY Daily News

...The bikers were taking part in a ride loosely organized by a group called Hollywood Stuntz. Police arrested 15 bikers Sunday for incidents unrelated to the mob attack. “We had over 200 calls just on Sunday about this particular group operating in a reckless manner,”...

mob behaviour is scary

Wow, I didn't know so many reports came in. Supposedly the NYPD aren't suppose to go after the groups because they fear reckless endangerment for innocent bystanders. They think some bikers will go on sidewalks and hit people in order to escape.

Lamb

They surrounded the SUV and the one who got hit actually cut the SUV off and slowed down quickly after cutting the SUV off. At one point he actually attempts to bully the SUV out of the lane by riding next to the SUV in the same lane.

I used to be a rider and these guys on the sport bikes are just looking for a fight.They have no regard for their own safety nor the safety of others.

I assume you're talking about the guy that was run over?
It's hard to see in the footage that they started damaging his vehicle as soon as the fender bender occurred, but that's what reports say. In which case yea, then he got what was coming to him. I think they were all shocked and assumed the family was just going to allow abuse of that sort.

“They’re making the riders out to be bad people. They’re not,” Santiago insisted from her Lawrence home Tuesday.

Oh wow.

The mother is in denial. So is the wife. I understand they're in shock but it still doesn't make sense to me how they could want Lien getting charged as well.

My mother actually had an encounter the other day with a group that appeared out of nowhere behind her while driving. One of the motorcyclist was honking at her to move out of the way so the bikers could get by, since they wanted to continue driving at a fast speed. Mind you she was driving within the speed limit. He drives by and moves in front of her, slows down so she purposely has to slow down and looks back. She did the smart thing in pulling over afterwards.

But, if it were me I would have come to a full stop in the middle of the street. He wants to play that game? After seeing what happened to this family, I don't think I could let any motorcyclists think they could take advantage like that. For some reason.. I get the feeling the bikers around here are going to act out more.

Reminds me of a scene in Every Which Way But Loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anmAvGrgzgQ

If only..

Last edited:
From what I gather, the bikers are to blame for what happened. That's my point of view. No man will go looking for trouble with his wife and baby in the car. I don't blame him one bit for trying to escape or running over the ones in front of him. I would've done the same except I'm licensed to carry a handgun in my home state so when a mob of people try pulling myself, my wife, or my children from my vehicle, I'm coming out shooting. Is that the right way to solve conflict? Absolutely not. Will I be beaten almost to death by a mob? Absolutely not. Politically correct plan of action on my part? I really don't care. I say the man in the car's actions were purely self defense/escape. BUT I will toss in this single caveat, either he or the bikers should have turned off their route so the situation didn't escalate to the point that it did. I can see why the man did what he did but he had mere seconds to decide on his plan of escape and evasion when they surrounded his vehicle, the court system has unlimited time to play Monday morning quarterback and pick apart his actions. One can only hope justice prevails.