Depressing Internet

Tlachtgha

I often find myself feeling deeply depressed and isolated while online.

The internet is supposed to be this wonderful tool for communication (making the world a "global village") and, apparently, it is just that for the majority of its users - people spend their time meeting others, having conversations, forming relationships etc.
Because of SP I don't seem to have the ability to do this, hence my depression and frustration at seeing all those who can.

Do others here feel similarly?

Nack

Banned
not really, why do you think i spend so much time on the internet. The things that i could o here i'm too scared to do in real life. mmorpg, social websites, forums, etc. I don't feel like i'm lesser than anyone else, because on the internet i can be the most awsome person evar!

philly2bits

I feel sort of the same way. I don't have a Facebook or Myspace or anything else like that, and they seem to be the place to meet people online. I think I spend way too much time online. It seems I could spend my time doing something more productive or more social, but I can't think of anything so I come back to the internet.

Awkward Annie

It can be a depressing place if you are on it for a long period of time. Sometimes it feels like I've come to the end of the internet because I've run out of things to look at and do on there!

When I get home from work I tend to just go online because I can't stand TV. Why is it ok to spend hours in the evening sitting in front of the TV but it's frowned upon to spend hours online?

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Not really, I get more depressed in real life, the net is the only thing that cheers me up a little.

SnowLily

Yes definitely, I've heard many people say they spend a lot of time on the internet because it's the only place they can talk to people, somehow though my SA carries over to the internet too. I even started playing mmorpgs recently and I find I'm too scared to talk to other people so I just play by myself...in a multiplayer game...kinda defeats the point :p

Last edited:

thor01

Yep. I wouldn't say my SP affects me as much on the internet, but for me socially, the internet usually ends up feeling just like real life in that way, just as lonely, in which I still perceive other people getting the most interaction haha.

Last edited:

Harleyq

Nah. Online, I mostly just come on here or I'm on wikipedia, youtube or I'm looking up walkthroughs for whatever game I'm playing. I don't really try to network.

Actually, because of SPW, I feel less depressed/lonely cause I can talk with a group of people who I can relate with.

Why

i spend way too much online but what else to do? i guess HW but i have no motivation for that

limetree

On social networking sites you're interacting without really interacting so it can be pretty much impossible to feel relevant unless you have forum/e-mail buddies or something.

Tlachtgha

I envy those of you who do have the ability to communicate freely online:)
Of course it makes perfect sense - there's no physical interaction online, you have the protection of complete anonymity - but still, like some others here, my SP extends this far.

Perhaps it depends on whether you hold a cynical or optimistic opinion of people in general?

mrb

yes know what you mean i did cancel my account cos im spending to much time on here , but few weeks later im back again :rolleyes: its nice to chat to people , but dont think spending to much time online is a good thing ....... but then some people love it , depends on the person i soppose

recluse

I tend to rely on this site and another as a crutch, and at the end of the day i'm still lonely because you are all strangers, some of you thousands of miles away.

oui

Tlachtgha, I completely understand what you're saying. So many people on the internet, this site among others, seem to have some sort of close bond. On a forum, someone may mention an inside joke, or a pet name, to another member. There may be funny jokes on someone's profile. Everyone has a friend, even if he or she is a bazillion miles away. People feel this freedom with the anonymity they are admitted while roaming the internet, as you already mentioned.

But I still cannot make friends. I am still shy, and unwilling to show who I am as a person. Even under a veil of internet-shadow, I am still me, and the person with which I attempt connection will still judge me.

I also find that people on the internet are more prone to ignorance, neglecting any sort of depth or thought. It's very depressing in that aspect as well; I don't understand how people can connect with others in such a superficial way. But I have the same opinion of people in real life.

So to answer you, I think it is a question of views concerning people, yes, but also of self-confidence in oneself- I find it difficult even to post on the web freely because I react so harshly to opposition. I shake, I tremble. It is very terrible. I'd much rather write in a journal privately, where I know my thoughts will not be critiqued.

But then, the cycle repeats itself, doesn't it? I want a friend, but one that will not question me, so I seek the confines of a notebook. Then, in a bout of social need, I fire up my computer in attempt to find someone, only to become disgusted at myself as well as other people. I retreat back to my notebook, and the process begins once more. Funny, isn't it?

Last edited:

sullyS1985

I feel like a loser sometimes on the internet. I am almost always on the internet checking my myspace, facebook or SPW. I'm always checking to see if there is someone on that I enjoy talking to me that likes talking to me, which is very rare. So I guess I do get depressed on the internet because sometimes it reminds me of how much of a loner and loser I am.

Apple Strudel

I know what you mean. Facebook is the most depressing place to be but yet I still around 'stalking' people's profile and even smiled at some of their pictures!!! I even start to imagine hanging out with them and so on!!! And some of those people are people that dun know me at all!!!

Yeah, pathetic but that's how I work. I see someone that I like on facebook through friends of friends and then add them and 'stalk' their profile and also smiling at their pictures.