Dealing with the HOLIDAYS

Kiwong

The crowded shopping malls are hard for me this time of year. However, I am away from work for three weeks and that is a great thing. I plan on getting really busy doing the things I enjoy.

coyote

Just get a bobtailed nag
Two forty as his speed
Hitch him to an open sleigh
And crack! you'll take the lead.

MikeyC

The holidays are a tough time for a lot of people because of similar situations to yours. It exacerbates all the negative sides and insecurities. Whether that's a by-product of Christmas's materialism is open to opinion, but that's mine.

I'm not sure what you can do to change your viewpoint of the holidays, but I will suggest that you should try to do something you like. Whatever it is, do it. :)

I just really blank it all out and don't think of others. I usually do my own celebrating like eating the seasonal foods. I also like some of the movies and songs. I get more depressed though from the cold. I usually cheer up when Spring rolls around.

Agent_Violet

We create our own traditions,keep that in mind. Make yours a tradition of shunning the norm to do your own enjoyable thing.

When I was alone my holidays looked like this:
1.get a mini tree on sale and fill it with the cutest mini ornaments EVER.
2.on my work vaca spend as many hours gaming as I could possibly stand
3.take many hot baths complete with wine and xmas music remixes
4.catch up on ALL my backlogged reading..NO ROMANCE or ROMCOMS allowed!!
5.cook something FABULOUS for xmas day OR order chinese food :D
6.NEVER watch regular TV during the holidays.Even with family around,those picture perfect movies and commercials are depressing as f**k.
7.Take walks.a lot of them.brisk,chipper walks.Maybe take a camera along.And definitely music.

Feathers

For me, the holidays have been a bit stressful too... I try to forget all about it - unfortunately my dad is very religious and keeps bringing up opportunities to reminding us and wants to pray every day!

I'm not so religious, okay I pray too, but does it have to be like a mini holiday oh gosh
Can't wait to sing the carols tho lol - try to find the bits that might be okay-ish, and ignore the rest?

jaim38

All you want for Christmas is a girlfriend, right? Are you sure you don't want anything else, like maybe video games to keep you busy?

IcedEarth25

How I deal with Holidays?
I go to town n buy presents for my family, wear my earphones n turn my music so I don't hear the people talking, avoid the packed out stores as I hate large crowds and just go with the flow I suppose.

Ithior

A good thing about the holidays is that I can buy things for myself without feeling embarrassed, since people will assume it's a gift for someone else (especially if I ask them to wrap it).

jaim38

I'm actually feeling the holiday spirit, woohoo! Aww, the season of giving! I plan to hang out with my friend, buy some new clothes, watch some movies, etc. Plus, I'm graduating (finally)! Happy holidays!

Biev

I like the holidays, especially preparing gifts, even if I can't spend much on them. I mostly make candy and stuff like that at home. I like cooking, so it's fun. Also trying to think up games for the parties.

I find it's pretty much the same whether I'm single or not. Christmas at home, for me, means staying in my pajamas all day, eating nice food and watching cartoons. The main difference when I'm with someone is that there are twice as many family members to visit and more presents to exchange. Aren't you idealizing Christmas romance a bit? Running around trying to make it to every mandatory gathering is stressful, and there is so much to do that we're exhausted by the time Christmas rolls around. Trying not to be cranky around each other takes up the rest of our energy.