Currently can't get into taxi cabs

Lamb

Buses and trains are an option of transportation in my area. On random weekends, the trains are shut down or not making all stops, so a shuttle bus is put in place. Because it is the weekend and more people are prone to being out, the ability to get into a shuttle bus requires some muscle, and being near the front or back door of where the bus usually stops. Sometimes buses are running late. That is an example of a situation where a taxi might serve me better and come in handy, because otherwise I won't be able to get home if I happen (by miracle) to be out on a weekend.

I'm terrified to get into a taxi, which is really ironic given I live in a large city! I know it stems from anxiety, and maybe rarely having to do it. My fears are 1. It won't be an actual taxi (even though there are ways to identify them) 2. They won't take me to my requested destination, but instead somewhere else and cause harm 3. Having to maintain a conversation and getting asked weird questions (If I get a compliment based on looks, I will start to freak out thinking they have bad intentions). 4. They speak another language I don't speak and we have trouble understanding each other (like spanish which is prevalent).

You don't see female taxi drivers too often. It would be nice to just be able to request one.. then I think my fear might be put to ease. Which means it's a nervousness of being around males alone. I would really like to get over it, and the only way is to start doing it- but how can I feel safe? Would raising my confidence help? Has anyone ever experienced this fear?

Lol, it sounds so weird writing it. :thinking: :idontknow:

Last edited:
I can understand this, I worry about my daughter catching taxis, the drivers can be creeps, bad drivers, or try to rip you off - though mostly they are ok. Maybe you can request a female driver? We can here

Unfortunately not all people have the best of intentions so I reckon your apprehensions are well founded. I think it might help if you could observe a group of cab drivers somewhere and see which ones are seemingly alright and which ones to maybe avoid?

Flanscho

I use a bicycle for 99% of transportation needs I have. It's cheap, good for health, I'm alone, independant of bus or subway times and whatnot.

MikeyC

Lamb, your fears are well founded. I would wager that over 95% of taxi drivers are legitimate people who will not rip you off or hurt you, but as a woman, you do have to be careful.

I remember taking a male friend and his female friend home, and the girl requested multiple times to be dropped off first. I didn't say anything because I knew it was because she didn't want to be alone in the car with a strange male. I didn't take it personally. :)

I've never experienced your fears, but I have been in cabs where English is clearly not their first language and there's been a barrier there, and other times where they've tried to rip me off - but most are okay. I condone getting a bike, or getting a car of your own to avoid public transport.

Lamb

For those who mentioned a bike, it's a good idea and many people use them here. There's even rent-a-bikes stationed outside for use, which recently came into effect. Only thing is I'm terrified to bike around the city too. :sad:

Which raises this thought: I've been watching DoomsDay Preppers (a bit much) and I know that if I ever had to escape due to a disaster because my life depended on it, I'd be in a big bind, not knowing how to navigate the areas.

Thanks MikeyC, that story with the girl makes me feel a bit better. I had a moment where a taxi driver asked me when getting out of the car, if this was where I lived. Instead of being honest, for once I was able to lie and say I was visiting friends. I think I'm stuck on that memory and it makes me uncomfortable.

Unfortunately not all people have the best of intentions so I reckon your apprehensions are well founded. I think it might help if you could observe a group of cab drivers somewhere and see which ones are seemingly alright and which ones to maybe avoid?

Hmm, I'll try that. Sometimes they all swarm at once for your money, lol.

Hi Lamb...i happen to be currently working as a Taxi driver, and firstly i have to say there seems to be quite the sterotypes goin on in this thread lol!
I never knew about these sterotypes existed untill i became a taxi driver to be honest...then i started getting all these comments like: "ya know, the taxi driver is always the one that does it in the movies" ..and "youre not gunna take me out into the bush and slay me are you?"
I totally didnt see it comming, but then i'm a guy and have just never thought about it as being unsafe to get into a cab...i guess that's different when your a female.

...all i can say is we are constantly worried about being mugged ourselves, and so we are probably more worried then you are. Also there is plenty of female taxi cab drivers, well in my town anyway...also, we all have to have criminal history checks before we can get a taxi licence, so none of us are criminals (you can't have a criminal history of any sort) ..and also need to have a working with children blue card assessment too. i hope that eases some of your concerns.

MikeyC

...all i can say is we are constantly worried about being mugged ourselves, and so we are probably more worried then you are.
Oh, yeah, with drunk and rowdy people in the car, who knows what they will do. That's a good point.

also, we all have to have criminal history checks before we can get a taxi licence, so none of us are criminals (you can't have a criminal history of any sort) ..and also need to have a working with children blue card assessment too. i hope that eases some of your concerns.
I didn't know taxi drivers had to do this, but I wonder if this is the same in America as it is in Australia. Surely there's a similar system.