Computer Overuse

Ren Koutaisou

Hi! Recently, I've been spending way too much time using my computer. This is pretty bad habit and also staring at the screen for too long is making my eyes bad. Now I have to wear glasses.

Also, I read in an article that sitting down for extensive periods can mess up your posture.

So when I use my computer, I usually play a game. I've been playing the game for many years and have a lot of stuff, including some rare weapons that only a handful of other people have. I have good armor on various different classes. I've been thinking about just vending everything (which means selling to an NPC so it's gone forever) because that will make me want to stop playing.

My family members are always on either their computer, phone, or television, and also I read that people inherit habits of those living with them. So one of my primary goals is to leave this house and live by myself.

I've been looking for a more steady job with more hours or a secondary job to kill a lot of my spare time. I'm not sure what else to do.

Should I just say **** it and vend all my items? It would be more beneficial in the long run, right? Otherwise, what should I do?

Anyone else have this or a similar problem?

MotherWolff

Banned
Hi! Recently, I've been spending way too much time using my computer. This is pretty bad habit and also staring at the screen for too long is making my eyes bad. Now I have to wear glasses.

Also, I read in an article that sitting down for extensive periods can mess up your posture.

So when I use my computer, I usually play a game. I've been playing the game for many years and have a lot of stuff, including some rare weapons that only a handful of other people have. I have good armor on various different classes. I've been thinking about just vending everything (which means selling to an NPC so it's gone forever) because that will make me want to stop playing.

My family members are always on either their computer, phone, or television, and also I read that people inherit habits of those living with them. So one of my primary goals is to leave this house and live by myself.

I've been looking for a more steady job with more hours or a secondary job to kill a lot of my spare time. I'm not sure what else to do.

Should I just say **** it and vend all my items? It would be more beneficial in the long run, right? Otherwise, what should I do?

Anyone else have this or a similar problem?

I am in your shoes....:sad:

Metal_isthe_Answer

I'm pretty sure computer screens and television screens wont cause you to need glasses, it is possible that they can strain your eyes and make them tired. Posture? Depends on how they sit. The "correct posture" idea kind of gets it wrong, its bad for your back to have the traditional correct posture since it puts too much pressure on your spines discs, it is better to sit back at an angle to spread out the weight.

Eye info: FAQ - Can A Computer Screen Damage My Eye?
Back info: Don't Sit Up Straight, It's Bad For Your Back - Medical News Today

Ithior

I'm pretty sure computer screens and television screens wont cause you to need glasses, it is possible that they can strain your eyes and make them tired. Posture? Depends on how they sit. The "correct posture" idea kind of gets it wrong, its bad for your back to have the traditional correct posture since it puts too much pressure on your spines discs, it is better to sit back at an angle to spread out the weight.

Eye info: FAQ - Can A Computer Screen Damage My Eye?
Back info: Don't Sit Up Straight, It's Bad For Your Back - Medical News Today

Yep, it doesn't make you see worse. First time I went to the doctor my mum was worried I'd see worse because I played Game Boy a lot, but she said it was fine. I spend many hours in front of my computer and I see pretty well. In fact, my grandma and I are the only ones in our family (including aunts, uncles and cousins) who don't need glasses.

Last edited:

Rawz

I'm similar to Ithior. My dad has had very poor eyesight and needed glasses his entire life. My mom has needed them for most of her adult life. My sister has needed glasses since she was a teenager.

But I only started recently needing weak prescription glasses for slight nearsightedness despite spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing video games on TVs/Computers, watching TV/movies, and using computers since I was a kid. I have the best eyesight of anyone in my family.

I remember watching a show once talking about how TV does not worsen your eyesight.

And if you want to reduce eye strain caused by TVs/computer monitors, there are some things you can do. One thing (that I learned from the show I mentioned) is to take your eyes off of the screen every 30-60 minutes and look around the room for a few minutes so your eyes adjust (I think looking at things that were around 25 feet away was recommended).

Also, there are special glasses you can get that are supposed to reduce eye strain cause by TVs (ask Google). You can get them in prescription as well (but that can get expensive).

Also adjusting the brightness/contrast settings may help.

There is also f.lux, which reduces blue light. It's a good thing to use if you use your computer late at night/before bed (the blue light will reduce/interfere will melatonin production). You can download it here.

Also, as for making better use of free time, I will suggest what I do/try to do when I feel I am being too unproductive/wasting time with movies/video games: learn something. Read up on anything that interests me or might help me. Articles, ebooks, etc, on programming, socializing, anxiety, exercising, etc. The internet can be great for learning. And of course you can always get real books. You can find a lot of great books really cheap online.

Last edited:

Ithior

And if you want to reduce eye strain caused by TVs/computer monitors, there are some things you can do. One thing (that I learned from the show I mentioned) is to take your eyes off of the screen every 30-60 minutes and look around the room for a few minutes so your eyes adjust (I think looking at things that were around 25 feet away was recommended)..

I also recommend being in a well lit room.

Mokkat

Sitting at the computer all day might irritate your eyes, but regarding permanent consequences you won't be any worse off than your average student. Basically you will get more near sighted if that's all you train the muscles in your eyes for, in the very long term.
I'll attest that F.lux is a really good way to reduce strain.

I've always used the computer a lot, a lot of the time for games. It never used to feel like a bad thing to me. It wasn't until I played WoW for a couple of years and quit because of school that I felt like I had been addicted to it and really wasted my time / become less of a person. I had played with a couple of friends I knew in real life, but due to SP I never talked to people or guildmates about things outside the game and never over voice chat. But I still devoted sometimes entire days to doing pointless stuff in that game to get better gear or increase my standing or whatever.
I still love playing games. I don't play competitive games even if they are wildly popular and mainstream now, I only play single player ones and specific coop games with strangers, games I feel don't waste my time.

This doesn't mean I don't procrastinate and browse all day though.

I don't really have a recommendation. I don't think it matters that much if you vendor your stuff or not, if only you make a hard decision to stop spending so much time on that one game.

Deco

My family also spends a lot of time in front of the new TV too.
But they're into sports and very healthy. It compensates for so much NetFlix, lol.
I don't care much for TV and I've been spending a lot of time in front of the computer
browsing and looking for a job.

I had a very stressful and time consuming job, working 14 hours a day. With no holidays or weekends for free time. I had to quit. I was about to have a nervous breakdown. I had no compensation for working extra time. I would end up browsing to have some fun, even after arriving at home by 4am and was barely sleeping anymore.

I used to play games a lot. I was addicted to Diablo 2 and StarCraft for years. Then racing games.
It reached a point I was wake up all nigh and only stopped an hour before leaving for work.
Sometimes I would play a bit more and pay for a cab rather than take a bus so I could still arrive in time.
I feel bad for wasting so much time of my life because of this addiction.

Last edited:

Ren Koutaisou

Thanks for your replies.

Apart from the eyestrain, my goal is still to reduce the amount of time I use my computer. Today, for example, I feel like I have wasted a tremendous amount of time because I didn't do much other than playing video games. In the long run, this is bad because you only get one life to live and later on I don't want to think back on how much time I spent playing games.

Deco, what kind of job did you have? I know this may sound a little absurd, but I'd actually like to be working more. It feels like my productivity levels are extremely low.

Deco

I am a graphic designer. I was working with 3d modelling for architecture and digital illustration. For a company that builds stuff for corporate events, fairs and festivals. I felt safer working full time for studios rather than being just a freelancer.
But now I just want to save more to start my own business.

Good thing you want to work increase productivity. I really enjoy having a few more freelance jobs to increase income. But don't let it take a toll on your health or social life. I missed many oportunities to hang out more with my friends during that time. We need some free time to have fun and relax.

Last edited:

Ren Koutaisou

I am a graphic designer. I was working with 3d modelling for architecture and digital illustration. For a company that builds stuff for corporate events, fairs and festivals. I felt safer working full time for studios rather than being just a freelancer.
But now I just want to save more to start my own business.

Good thing you want to work increase productivity. I really enjoy having a few more freelance jobs to increase income. But don't let it take a toll on your health or social life. I missed many oportunities to hang out more with my friends during that time. We need some free time to have fun and relax.

I understand your point, but I have too much spare time right now. I'd rather work a second job to eliminate the spare time and help pay off my debt. After that, I'd like to buy a house or condo or rent an apartment.

If I start working another job and it is too much, I will reduce my hours, simple as that.

Ithior

I understand your point, but I have too much spare time right now. I'd rather work a second job to eliminate the spare time and help pay off my debt. After that, I'd like to buy a house or condo or rent an apartment.

If I start working another job and it is too much, I will reduce my hours, simple as that.

It seems you already know what you want to do, so now you have to search for a job. I don't think we can help much with that, it'll depend more on what you think you can do and what's available around there.
If you're going to occupy your free time with a job, I suggest you don't sell all the stuff in your account. If you were going to invest the time in a hobby, it'd be easier to skip that commitment and play instead. However, you need to show up at regular hours for a job, and it's easier to hold a commitment to others than to ourselves, so I don't think the game wouldn't mess with that.
I myself used to play WoW, I eventually stopped after WotLK and I went back a couple of times for a month or so (once in Cataclysm and again in MoP). Even though I haven't played it in a year or so, I like knowing that my characters are still there.

Do you think you can play the game more casually? I'm guessing it's a game like WoW or GW2, so if you did raiding you probably wouldn't be able to do it with your new busy schedule. If it were a game I could play more casually and I had a busy schedule, I'd probably try to play it on Saturday or Sunday. In the end it's up to you whether you want to keep the game a part of your life or you want to move on from it.

Deco

Since you like gaming so much. Have you ever considered starting a YouTube channel about gaming? See how many guys are making money with their gameplay and walkthroughs. Maybe this could be your secondary activity.
Some channels feature more discussion about games than gameplay itself.
There are lots of options.