Clonidine, improved my quality of life regards blushing

scotty99

Hi, I've just found this forum and wanted to pass on info on a medication I've been on for about a year now.

I've suffered badly with flushing/blushing and rosacea since my early teens. Like most men i put off going to the doctors for ages, but I got diagnosed with rosacea about 8 years ago. The dermatologist wasn't the greatest. It was "this is what you have, i dont want to scare you but in 10 years its gong to be a whole lot worse, nothing we can do, bye"...sort of thing.

Back then there wasn't a lot of treatment unless it turned into the later stages of the condition.

Anyway due to other medical problems since I finally got a derm recently that was pretty good, and put me on Clonidine, which is a blood pressure med. Even though my BP was fine, this drug really has helped. My head used to look like I had dipped it in boiling water at times, and Id get comments all the time, "Are you an Alcoholic?" etc.

On these tablets my face is a lot calmer, and i think the capillaries have time to recover from being flushed 24/7. Since I've been on them I dont think ive had one comment regards my facial redness.

I take 2x 100mcg tabs a day (broken into halfs, so i have 4 halfs spaced throughout the day) The dose for high BP can be upto 1200 mcg a day, so if you really wanted to keep the redness under control, I would say 3x 100mcg a day would do it

Sometimes i still flush at times in certain conditions, but its not that big of a deal, plus i dont want to be on a bigger dose of clonidine, because they do have some side effects. The main one is they make you very sleepy, even now with being a year on them , if I'm not active i can nod off at any time during the day. If your busy it wont be so bad, but if your reading/watching tv, or sat still it can kick in quite quickly. It was bad for the first 3-4 months on them, but does ease off.

The trade off for the bad side effects is well worth it for me, just so I look kind of normal now.

Anyone who has facial redness should give this drug a try. they may not suit you, but if you can hack the drowsiness they may be a god send

wannabedry

have you noticed any decrease in sweating from clonidine? im suffering badly from hyperhidrosis, I dont have blushing, but Ive tried the usual stuff that everyone else raves about "avert" but all it did was postpone my sweating for an hour or 2 and cause the sweat to build up inside me and come out all at once afterwards with a VENGEANCE soaking my clothes etc.. so no more avert for me or any anticholinergics . im interested in this clonidine though, also my BP is borderline high so maybe it will help in both areas. thanks!

bsammy

^^blood pressure meds have not done much for my sweating problem...drysol helps under-arm sweat but thats it..