CBT did anybody try it? Did it work for you? CBT vs Meds.

Honda

I just started CBT treatment as I told my therapist to take the mere idea of meds and piss off so we decided to settle for CBT.

I just went to a support group and met people with SA, depression, BP, etc. Next thing I know they start bashing the fact I refuse meds and say they are the best thing out there.. I told them if it works for you then fine but I will go for CBT myself, to hell with meds. I had a terrible experience with them and I wont go for meds ever again!

Needless to say, I dont want to play the game of trail and error and withdrawal with medications so I chose CBT instead. I fear meds and despise being on meds; I'd rather take the long hard way of CBT which is less chemical and seems to have alot of positive recognition and reviews in the industry.

Dusti

that's right -- you are in charge and no one else. they are supposed to be a support group not a bunch of bullies telling you how to deal with your life. I wouldn't blow them off just yet but if they keep up with that kind of thing maybe you should find another "support" group. In the end, if you can do this w/o meds, (in my opinion) you will be better off. But you at least should try it and have the necessary support behind you. Good luck -- Keep us posted.

Honda

Dont get me wrong, they didnt bully me into meds but I they are very convinced that it helps them and I wont be surprised because many of them suffer Bipolar disorder.

Though I still protest against the way meds are pushed on people.. This trail and error nature of making you buy meds try them out and if they dont work, they slowly cut the doses and then replace it with another medicine and so on. I wont go there again.

I think CBT as much as I find it overly praised by many something that is leaning on the overrated side somehow.. That's why I ask who tried CBT and how did it go?

Earthcircle

Many therapists who claim to be doing CBT actually pursue an eclectic approach which is too watered down to be real CBT. You may wish to discuss this with your therapist, in which case the word "eclectic" will be a red flag. Speaking from my own experience, CBT is great for OCD, although some of the underlying anxiety remains. As for CBT and social anxiety, the approach of monitoring one's thoughts and "correcting" them struck me as rather neurotic in its own right, and I never cottoned to it.