Can i have some words of encouragement?

WishingICould

A girl i used to work with text me today and asked if i wanted to meet up. We're going out next week and i'm really nervous. My social anxiety is probably the worst it's been for a long time but i can't let her down again.

I've made excuses and cancelled so many times that we ended up falling out over it twice. We stopped talking for months but she ended up messaging me on Facebook and apologising. She doesn't know i have SA, i've told her i don't like being around people i don't know and that i get nervous but she doesn't know how severe my anxiety is. I don't think she'd understand even if i did tell her because SA is still not really well known or talked about.

I'm just worried she'll think i'm boring or i won't know what to say. We haven't see each other for ages, mainly because she has a son now and she's been busy looking after him. I don't know whether it's low self esteem, SA or something else but i always find it hard to understand why somebody would want to hang out with me or to be my friend. I tend to push people away because i don't trust them.

lonelee1

A girl i used to work with text me today and asked if i wanted to meet up. We're going out next week and i'm really nervous. My social anxiety is probably the worst it's been for a long time but i can't let her down again.

I've made excuses and cancelled so many times that we ended up falling out over it twice. We stopped talking for months but she ended up messaging me on Facebook and apologising. She doesn't know i have SA, i've told her i don't like being around people i don't know and that i get nervous but she doesn't know how severe my anxiety is. I don't think she'd understand even if i did tell her because SA is still not really well known or talked about.

I'm just worried she'll think i'm boring or i won't know what to say. We haven't see each other for ages, mainly because she has a son now and she's been busy looking after him. I don't know whether it's low self esteem, SA or something else but i always find it hard to understand why somebody would want to hang out with me or to be my friend. I tend to push people away because i don't trust them.

hi, i think you should follow through and meet up. life is short, try to have some fun~
i know how hard it is bc i feel the same way. good luck

jonas89

It's usually always hardest to go, but when you are there it gets easier, at least that is how it's for me, and you wont be there forever... One feeling that I used a lot do milder my anxiety down a lot is to think about that feel that I get when I get home finally, that relief feeling.

I hope for you, that you will go : ) have fun

Srijita52

I'm sure it'll turn out great. You might feel a little awkward at first but I'm sure the conversation will go much swiftly once you both get more comfortable, which I think you will judging from the fact that you know each other for a while. Just don't be too hard on yourself if there're few awkward moments, good luck!

gazelle

I'm sure it'll turn out great. You might feel a little awkward at first but I'm sure the conversation will go much swiftly once you both get more comfortable, which I think you will judging from the fact that you know each other for a while. Just don't be too hard on yourself if there're few awkward moments, good luck!

Well said!... Also make sure to sleep early the night before... avoid sugary foods and take a multi vitamin supplement before going (it usually helps for me).
Good luck!

laure15

Go for it. Treasure the friendship well. There may come a day when you need her help (or when she needs your help). Having some friends for support is not a bad thing.