Bravado vs Shyness

planemo

I really don't seem to have much bravado at all. Maybe it's the opposite of shyness. I've been wondering if it's something essential, a characteristic of the social, successful types? It seem seems wrong for me, to show any real confidence in myself, well maybe not wrong, perhaps unnatural is a better word.

What do you people think? Is it something we need as humans in order to survive, amongst ourselves? Is it a character trait that by lacking, we are automatically presumed and treated as weak, inferior? and most importantly, how does one develop a feeling of courage, boldness?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I really don't seem to have much bravado at all. Maybe it's the opposite of shyness. I've been wondering if it's something essential, a characteristic of the social, successful types? It seem seems wrong for me, to show any real confidence in myself, well maybe not wrong, perhaps unnatural is a better word.

What do you people think? Is it something we need as humans in order to survive, amongst ourselves? Is it a character trait that by lacking, we are automatically presumed and treated as weak, inferior? and most importantly, how does one develop a feeling of courage, boldness?

Do you mean bravado, or bravery as regards social situations?

bra·va·do
   [bruh-vah-doh]
noun, plural -does, -dos.
a pretentious, swaggering display of courage.

brav·er·y
   [brey-vuh-ree, breyv-ree]
noun, plural -er·ies.
brave spirit or conduct; courage; valor.
showiness; splendor; magnificence.

I am thinking you meant the latter.
A Game of Thrones said:
“Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid?”

“That is the only time a man can be brave.”
People without social anxiety problems/severe shyness/etc are not typically afraid at all in social situations, so bravery doesn't enter the picture.
John Wayne said:
Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.
^^Words to live by. I've engaged in situations where I was trembling visibly, where my voice was shaking, where I blushed bright red like a tomato repeatedly, and where I felt like my head was going to implode while my heart exploded from beating too fast. Situations where I had a choice not to, but I knew I should. And each time I did, I found myself a little easier to live with.

planemo

Do you mean bravado, or bravery as regards social situations?

I was thinking more of bravado as an attitude, an internal drive to display oneself. I don't know, but to me social people have this inner drive to exist openly and without hesitance or timidness. It's as if they don't need to be brave in social situations because of this inner "belief", "confidence", "bravado", call it what you like. lacking this quality i believe forces us to be brave as you rightly put it.

The only way I can see to get it if it doesn't come naturally is to act as though you do

Well I guess i could try. Maybe i should imitate someone really known for his swagger. Won't be easy though ::p: