blushing how to get over it

shield

I was just reading back through some posts and a lot of people have a problem with blushing. I remember back in college we had to go round the class reading a few pages from a book we were studying. I used to go beetroot and my eyes used to water uncontrollably and my hands would shake and I could hear people making comments. I felt totally panic stricken. It would just get worse and worse. I would even blush in normal conversations.

I think what got me over blushing and I rarely if ever do it now was just to totally and completely accept it. I have heard a saying 'whatever you resist persists' this is completely the case with blushing. The really funny thing is blushing will only disappear when you are totally comfortable with it and you don't even mind blushing anymore. I would say the best way to get this attitude is to imagine yourself as someone you look up to and think of as confident and imagine how they would react to blushing. I remember I saw the wwe wrestler Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson on a tv show and he started blushing when someone mentioned somthing about him having an orgy lol He just reacted like no big deal and laughed it off and no one thought bad of him he was still cool.
The other thing is accept blushing as a fixed part of your personality. Think of it as a condition you were born with and that you will always have and just learn to live with it. Imagine if it was actually a disease that you had since birth. Would you apologise for it, would you always say I wish I didn't have it? No you would accept it as part of yourself that you can't change. As soon as you completely let go of the desire to be rid of blushing it will go.

Iseesky

I completely agree with this. My blushing and SA walk hand in hand most of the time. I get nervous while talking to people, blush, then get nervous that people can see me blushing. After awhile I just said 'okay, screw it, I don't care anymore.' I stopped thinking about blushing while I was speaking to someone, and instead occupied my mind with thoughts about dinner for that night. Soon I realised that my blushing had gotten much much better. It seems like if you don't think about it (or try to) it doesn't occur.

tool1919

That's really good advice and i agree that's probly the only way to get over it. When you think about it, worry its gonna happen and try to supress it then it happens. It still happens to me because of that vicious cycle of worrying it will happen and then it does happen. It has got a bit better now and i'm confident i'll be able to beat it at some stage using the same method you mention.