Being Published??

Courtney27S

Writing has always been a big passion of mine, and really the only thing I want to make a career out of. My favorite is poetry, but I also write prose. I've been working on a series of poems that I hope to turn into a book of eventually. And after that, I want to have it published. :praying:

This seems like a long process to go through, and I don't really have any clear ideas on how to start it. The only thing I know for sure is that I want to publish it hardcover, not online... haha.

So, does anyone maybe have any tips or advice to share? Or maybe someone who has had their work published can share their personal experience? Thanks to anyone who responds :)

I know this isn't exactly helpful, but most of what I've heard about publishing - especially a book - has been negative. It's a tough, tough thing to accomplish. That being said, I don't think there's any harm in trying (well, except for the inevitable headaches and throwing your phone at the wall in frustration!). There are some really great blogs out there by writers who know the publishing game pretty well, you could check some of those out for a place to start. I've visited a few of them but I didn't save the names, wish I could remember... If I find them again I'll let you know if you're interested.

I don't really know much about it myself, but I wonder if a person would be more likely to get published if they went with a smaller, independent publishing house rather than one of the monoliths like Random House or something. I have a book of poetry and I've never heard of the publisher before, but the book is fantastic and very nicely put together. One of my favorites.

Good luck and I think that's a great thing to strive for :)

mismeek

I know nothing about publishing! but Good luck and tell us the title so we can buy it!

Kiwong

First of all you've got to learn, study and practice the craft of writing. I use to read how to write books, Stephen Kings "On Writing" was helpful. There were some on line resources as well. I also visited some poetry forums and posted my work, and received some helpful feedback.

I used to check out writer's markets such as the one below. I was also involved in a writer's workshop.

Ralan.com - Home Page

I don't write much fiction anymore, but I am thinking of publishing a book on something I know about, and that's plants. I'm looking at places that publish books in that area. I keep a list of publishers that produce books in my subject area.

CSIRO PUBLISHING - For Authors

Last edited:

Capsaicin

Writing as a career is extremely difficult, and I think people have unrealistic ideas of what it entails. Some of the biggest names in writing almost weren't published at all after numerous rejections (J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter) or sold short stories to magazines in their early years (Stephen King), so most of us can't expect to feed ourselves writing poetry and fiction. People who are steadily employed writing for websites are expected to work regularly, probably with some fine print, and not whenever inspiration strikes.

If you're still interested in writing as a side income, just researching the publishing business, writing itself, and possible publishers is a good start. There are numerous sources and communities online dedicated to this.

Last edited:

Hoppy

2012-10-30-iraglass.jpg

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I've been published before, hardcover. It was a kick.

It was my first attempt so I didn't expect it to happen.

I didn't like the editing, so I refused their offer to write more for them.

Been meaning to get around to trying again one of these years.

:idontknow:

Really? What was it that you had published? That's awesome.

MikeyC

large image
As a drummer, I can totally relate to what it's saying!

Courtney, if you have ideas for writing, do it. It costs barely anything to write something, and if you think it's good enough, pitch it. The worst that could possibly happen is that you got rejected, but you had some fun doing it. :) (Except for those stressful times!)

LazyHermitCrab

Yeah you can publish but it's hard to make a career out of it. Even my professor published 3 books and still works a bunch of hrs. I'm trying to do the same thing and instead lost money because im charged just so they will read it. Don't get sad though because it's very possible to get published but you can't just say you want it you have to send it to many companies. You can make cards on etsy with your poems?

Klonoa

When I was younger, I dreamt of being published, but I realized since then it wasn't really that easy... so I plan to, like... start out with my deviantart account, start to make a comicbook and see where it goes.

Odo

Banned
You should definitely keep working at it, but I would make sure you have a backup plan.

Kiwong

I really enjoyed Shadow over Innsmouth.

Courtney27S

Thank you so much everyone for the advice, it means a lot. Well, it sounds like it really IS a hard process, but I think I'm willing to put myself through it, as long as I'm creating happiness for myself.
@Nathaniel, Wow, that's so cool! Congratulations on putting your work out there!
@Hoppy, Thanks for that! Really encouraging and true :)

Bronson99

No offense to Wingate, but H.P. Lovecraft was known to have some racial biases, as can be seen in some of his writings.

The other problem I had was I fell asleep most of the time whenever I tried to get through "Mountains of Madness".... short book, true, but that doesn't mean it can't be too technical or obsessively descriptive.

Kiwong

No offense to Wingate, but H.P. Lovecraft was known to have some racial biases, as can be seen in some of his writings.

The other problem I had was I fell asleep most of the time whenever I tried to get through "Mountains of Madness".... short book, true, but that doesn't mean it can't be too technical or obsessively descriptive.

Apparently his diet was atrocious, he ate himself to death with ice cream. I think the best thing about HPL's writing was his story titles. His dialogue is deplorable, his characterisations thin. I have far more enjoyed some of the work of those he influenced such as Fritz Leiber "A bit of the Dark World", and Stephen King "Crouch end town".