Becoming nocturnal?

SweetCupcake

At night time, I feel much more energetic, happier and I feel more motivated to do things. I also find that I sleep better during the day.
So I was thinking of becoming nocturnal. Is anyone here nocturnal, and can give advice about how to transition? Thanks:)

Hastings & Main

I'm naturally nocturnal. Unfortunately I have a job that makes me get up at 4:20AM :mad:.
Most of my ideas and my best thinking happens around 1-3 AM, too. Someday I'll get my night time back.

Slowly rearrange your sleeping schedule til you're doing what you're doing now, but flipped. As for jobs or school, well, you'd have to research what's best for your new timetable.

And make sure to get some sunlight for your Vitamin D!

forksandspoons

I am, kind of. I sleep when I am tired, I don't follow any specific sleep schedule. When I try to force my self to sleep at night when I am tired, I just lay there thinking about stuff and it drives me nuts. Sometimes I will sleep all day and wake all night, or the opposite. Sometimes Ill just take a couple 2 hour naps each day.

I find myself to have more energy this way. Since I began doing it, I have gotten more things done and have felt just better when awake. I don't have too many daily responsibilities at the moment so I am able to live this way.

los77

I am also nocturnal, i feel way more energetic at night and i guess i like the quietness... Unfortunately the rest of society is not like this or just is just forced to work that way... I wish I could work and study at night but there is fewer jobs and classes at those times and usually the jobs are pretty lonely which may sound good but the loneliness might get to you... if you wanna make friends its probably not a good idea to work night jobs

DespairSoul

Im joining to nocturnal club=o) i always go sleep very late like 3 oclock and sleep longer per day make my day shorter that i get closer to night because i feel also more energy at night. I guess is bad habit by me and if i would work will be very hard to conform to conditions of job.

kj7

Before I got my current job I couldn't go to sleep at night ever becuase my mind would go wild when I layed down so I would always stay up all night and sleep during the day. But now that I have my job I have to get up at 5am and can fall asleep without any issues around 10pm so im good to go lol.

Section_31

i used to be. i think im naturally leaning towards it though i cant. i got to bed at 10:30 every ngiht but im always so tired during the day even though i do sleep. Whereas i can stay up all night and ill be fine, wont be tired at all.

If your studies/job allow it, go for it!!

MsBuzzkillington

Speaking of being naturally nocturnal, and having more energy at night, and sleeping better during the day...

There's actually something called delayed sleep phase syndrome. Which explains A LOT of why I am the way I am.

I have been staying up until 6am for months now, and no matter what I do... I can't jolt it back to normal. 4am has always been the norm for me and 2am is WAY early, even if I have to get up at 6.

Aussie_Lad

Just go and speak to some clubbers or other random young poeple and you'll find out that staying up late is quite common. It is not uncommon for clubbers to start arriving at the club after midnight and then stay until 5am. I find this fascinating because I have never been a fan of staying up much past midnight, and these days I am in bed a lot earlier than that even.

SweetCupcake

Well it didn't go very well :( My mum came downstairs at 4am to get a drink, and started lecturing me about how unhealthy it is blah blah. She went back upstairs and told Mr. bipolar, and he came marching down the stairs shouting at me to stop this ' another obsession of mine'. He told me if I didn't go to bed he'd throw me out. So I went to bed, and wrote a very blunt letter for my mum about her and her schizo boyfriend.
I might as well be a ****ing vegetable, because I'm not even allowed at almost 20 years of age to decide what time to go to bed.

R3K

i've been very nocturnal for several years. i fall asleep somewhere between 3 to 5 am, but it's not unusual for me to be up til 6 or 7. i work 2pm to 11pm and when i get off work i have all this run-off energy and can't sleep. then on my days off i wake up at 2 or 3 pm, get dressed and ready to do stuff by 4 or 5, go out and eat and suddenly it's night-time and i've barely gotten myself going. the rest of the world is coming home from work to eat dinner with their husbands/wives and children and here i am walking around the mall like an animated corpse. it's not all it's cracked up to be, being nocturnal. i guess if you're involved in the club scene it could be fun and exciting. but clubrats aren't be the best people to consort with all the time--i've known a few;).

Section_31

Well it didn't go very well :( My mum came downstairs at 4am to get a drink, and started lecturing me about how unhealthy it is blah blah. She went back upstairs and told Mr. bipolar, and he came marching down the stairs shouting at me to stop this ' another obsession of mine'. He told me if I didn't go to bed he'd throw me out. So I went to bed, and wrote a very blunt letter for my mum about her and her schizo boyfriend.
I might as well be a ****ing vegetable, because I'm not even allowed at almost 20 years of age to decide what time to go to bed.

Thats just rediculous.....your 20 freaking yrs old!.

Wish i knew what to say to try to diffuse the situation with him but it sounds like this has been ongoing for a long time...

Fighter86

I prefer being up in the night as well, and sleep into mid afternoon, it makes time pass faster. Also, I just personally prefer dark to light I guess. I like staying up late reading a book.