Atari is the bomb!

Ads7800

I think my nick says it all (for anyone who doesn't know, 7800 is the model name of an Atari video game system).
Playstation just doesn't do it for me. It's gotta be old school. I love video games from the 70's and 80's. There's something attractive about how simplistic yet bloody difficult these games can be.
Remember when video game consoles only had a maximum of two buttons on their controllers and platformers were two-dimensional?
I own a Master System 2 and an Atari 7800 and I'm never upgrading to X-Box or Playstation. My Atari 7800 has been running since 1991 and never fails to please. Call me old-fashioned and out-of-touch with the times all you want, if it ain't old school gaming, it's so fucking boring for me!
Does anyone else here share this interest in old school gaming, or does anyone think I'm a total jackass for not accepting modern gaming? I'd love to here from both clubs.

IceLad

I like both types of gaming.

I especially like modern day RPGs- Dragon Quest, FFs, and NWN. With their graphics and playability, they allow you to totally immerse yourself in a different world (which is free of SP thankfully!).

On the other hand, you can't bit a good simple game of Pac Man, Crossbow or Mr Do. I still have an Atari 2600, but the joystick has broken. Also, with old school games, you don't need to read the instructions several times before you actually know what you're doing.

cLavain

Amiga 500 forever! Well, actually, it was fun back then, but it's just not the same anymore. Good old memories are better left as...well...memories. :cry:

LA-girl

No, Commodore 64 rules!! Ok, ruled...
Anyone remember Giana Sisters? :D

giana_2.gif

cLavain

LA-girl said:
Yes! I loved that game!

And let's not forget this classic:

I mean, look at those cute dragons! :lol: No pixel shaders or vertex pipelines needed to play that!

LA-girl

cLavain said:
LA-girl said:
Yes! I loved that game!

Cool! :D
Well if you want to bring back those good old memories you can try it here without the Commodore or Amiga! It's not the same, I know, but still I found it quite fun. :mrgreen:

Anyway here is Giana Sisters:
GIANA SISTERS

And here is Bubble Bobble -The revival- (This one should work just fine! :D )
BUBBLE BOBBLE

Good old Bubble Bobble:
BUBBLE BOBBLE (ORIGINAL)

cLavain

Wow, that was fun! They are just like I remember them. I miss my joystick, though...

But I had forgotten how that BB theme tune gets on your nerves after a while! :lol:

LA-girl

cLavain said:
Wow, that was fun! They are just like I remember them. I miss my joystick, though...

I was thinking the same thing; I need my joystick! LOL!
Anyway I noticed I put out the wrong version of Giana Sisters, so I'm gonna fix it and put in the one with the real diamonds! :wink:
I'm also putting out a link of the good old Bubble Bobble version...

IceLad

What about Rainbow Islands?

A great game, but everything was so unbelievably colourful and cute, that when I was playing it, I had a sick bag on standby just in case.

cLavain

IceLad said:
What about Rainbow Islands?

A great game, but everything was so unbelievably colourful and cute, that when I was playing it, I had a sick bag on standby just in case.
Yep, loved that, too, but my copy crashed after the fourth level or something... :cry:

It just occured to me, how come I can remember such old useless facts, but not important information I heard one hour ago? :lol:

I have an Atari 2600 and an Atari 1200XL with tons of games. But I haven't really gotten into any other consoles since then. Instead my PCs have been getting more and more powerful. My latest is a Gateway with quad-cores running at 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 256mb geforce 8500gt and with a 24" dvi connected hd lcd.

I play Team Fortress 2 and Counter-strike source at 1900x1200 resolution (which is higher then HD) and 4,294,967,296 colors. Since I'm a computer programmer I use the excuse that I need to keep up with technology, but the truth is I love PC gaming. I was gonna buy a ps3 but I'll probably buy a new laptop instead. Console games are too expensive and it seems to be just another format war to me.

By the way my first game console was a Pong console. It had like 3 games on it: pong, tennis, and hockey, with minimal graphics. I wonder how many of you were alive when this came out (mid 70's)? My computer classes in the early 80's used punched cards for input and green bar reports for output. We've come a long way baby!

Code:
The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.

Kraftwerk said:
I program my home computer
Beam myself into the future