Assaulted - karma?

Mokkat

I don't know which topic to put this in, so I'm putting it inhere

It's currently 6 am here, I'm writing this in tears, with help from windows numerical mouse help.

I was just robbed. I was playing Zombie Panic Source with a friend, drunk and careless, at 5 am in the middle of night, and someone knocks on my door. Its a gentle knock so I figure its a neighbor who thinks Im noisy or something, I go to open the door, and... two hooded men wearing scarfs over their faces force me to the bathroom floor with a kitchen knife. I comply without hesitation. They explain to me they want to make sure Im not dealing drugs in town and go through my room. At one point they ask me aggressively why I dont have "anything". They are at it for some 3-5 minutes.
At the end they tell me that they know people usually call the cops, and that I should stay put staring into the floor for 5 minutes if I didnt want to get hurt, and that they will leave the phone outside.
The cops have been here to investigate, they didnt seem very able to do anything about it.

Im not sure if they snatched anything, my wallet, (cheap) phone, etc were still there. Except for maybe a few dvds, the only thing they took were the mouse for my computer, my MX518. Not my expensive books for study, not my audio interface, not my wallet or VISA card, etc...

After I had the police over to investigate, I started wondering... They took my mouse... All of my life Ive turned to my computer for security and control. I have no friends, I dont take pride in or get much motivation from my hobbies, I dont fit in... Now these criminals have taken my mouse away, and I cant even play games or surf the internet...

Is this karma? Im not religious or anything, and I dont think much of fate or other possibilities... Does something want to force me to do something different with my life? The only thing I can do at this point without without seriously depressing or hating myself is to use the computer, and now that possibility has been forced away from me... Im lost

jus

Sorry to hear that, its a prettytraumatc thng to happen :(
I was robbed once, it sucks having someone take your stuff.. luckily I was able to umm... get revenge shall we say.

are you serious though... they only took your mouse ?

Sounds like they were realy looking for drugs / evidance you were selling drugs... but yeah.. the mouse thing is a lil wierd.

Hope ya feel better soon

Last edited:

worrywort

omg, I'm so sorry to hear that! are you ok? That sounds like a really terrifying ordeal to have had to go through. Do you live alone? Do you have anyone who you can call who could come over? I got mugged once, and they put a knife to my neck, and it really shook me up. It took me a good few weeks before I really felt safe again.

I don't think it's karma, in the sense that you should feel any sort of blame or feel as though you had it coming, in any way. These things happen sometimes, and the guys that robbed you are most definitely the bad guys. But I do tend to believe that things happen for a reason, and the best thing you can do is try to learn from this experience the best you can.

I've also had times when my computer has crashed and it's suddenly made me realise how much I depend on my computer....but I usually use those times has an opportunity to step back from my computer a little, just to prove to myself that I can survive without it. I tend to feel a lot stronger when I feel that I'm in control, rather than having my possession control me.

x000x

I'm very sorry to hear this happened to you. I've never been in a situation like that, but I'd like to believe I'd fight back or at least stay calm (I bet I wouldn't though, but it'd be nice). Like Jus said, it sounds like they were looking for drugs or trying to take things they could swap for drugs. I hope they get caught.

mismeek

Are you sure these werent some douche bags from school or something? I mean your mouse??! Thats the last thing on my list to steal, unless it was solid gold or something.

AGR

Sorry to hear about that but not its not karma,these things happen,I was never assaulted,even living in a country where it was common but never directly,people entered my house though,but I have Iron bars on windows and doors so I guess they werent prepared,could happen with anyone,also thieves often steal things they need when invading homes,besides valuable things,so he probably needed a new mouse.

hoddesdon

That shows it is a good idea to have either a peephole or a chain on the door, and always check who is at the door first.

dutchguy

This is important; whatever you do, don't blame yourself for this.

Karma is a nice concept, but that's as far as it goes. As humans are 'pattern-seeking animals', we often try to find causes for seemingly random occurances. You know, along the lines of "Got beat up at school? Well, it must be because I didn't help that old lady across the street when I know I should have." The problem with thinking this way is that you're going to think that every bad thing that happens to you is ultimately your own fault. Let me tell you; it isn't. There is no such thing as a universal force that tries to ironically punish you for just being human. Even if you believe in a God; what kind of all-loving God would let mass-murderers live but still punish you for something that is simply human? Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

If there's anyone to blame, it's the kind of lowlifes who think they can just take other people's hard-earned possessions.

mmmm

Wow. I'm really sorry this had to happen to you. And to all of you who have posted similar stories in this thread. I won't put my story on here but I will say that I still have to sleep with my bedroom door bolted. So don't worry if it takes a while for your house to feel like a haven again. It does get better.

As for Karma, I don't believe in a tit-for-tat cosmic justice ATM and even if I did I can't imagine that you have enough bad vibes stashed up to deserve something like this. However, I do believe that there are forces who like to get us out of our comfort zones and into situations that are healthier for us. A stolen mouse is just too damn arb to be a coincidence. Why not turn this crappy experience into something positive by doing some of that scary stuff that your computer has been protecting you from? Face it, you now have a really cool story to share with people and if it doesn't work out, well, you can always get a new mouse and go back to your old ways. Nothing to lose.

Mokkat

Hey again guys. Feeling better today after managing my hangover and cleaning up my room.
I assumed they had taken the mouse after not finding any drugs or items of easy fencing value, and concluding that they couldnt carry my heavy computer tower - but I found it under some bags. The guy had thrown it when he started unplugging my rig, but he gave up right after apparently.

I dont think they took anything. I saw one of them with a handful of dvds when I looked up at one point, but they werent interested in anime and old movies because they stacked up to the usual height. I think they were really looking for drugs and left fast when they found out Im a poor student.

Im really sorry to hear that you guys have been in similar or worse situations.

The whole thing still seems unreal for me, as they didnt really force me physically and told me that I wouldnt be hurt if I stayed on the floor, and on top I was drunk and they didnt take anything.
I feel embarrassed by this situation. A normal guy would have been partying with the other people at this apartment cluster, but instead I get attacked in my room and have to explain to a couple of policemen why Im drunk alone at that time, why all of my stuff hadnt been searched, why my guitar wasnt knocked over though it was in front of the dvd stacks, etc.
Worst of all, is the irony that the doors to the apartments here have large windows - I had been a little paranoid to go into the kitchen where the door is for that reason for half a year, and when I finally get a curtain put up, a week or two later I let robbers into my home because I was drunk and it didnt occur to me to pull aside the curtain to check who it was, before opening.
Not sure how, or even if Im going to talk to the other people here about it. I mostly avoid everybody, and though there were people coming home from clubbing in taxies around the time it happened I doubt any of them would take notice of what was happening in "that guy"s room...

Feathers

oh gosh, sounds like an episode from TV... sorry to hear you had to go through all that, yup.. Hmm, I second mismeek - what if it was just some guys from school or even your appartment building? Maybe someone watching too much reality TV and 'Punkd' and such? I'd keep ears open to what is talked about in the kitchen etc - if you know anyone nice who you talked with, you could casually ask, among/after other small talk - 'Hey, you know what, something unusual happened the other day - know anyone planning any pranks around here?' That you don't know if it was a prank, someone going for 'Punkd' effect or someone really looking for dealing of drugs? (Maybe there's someone in a room with a similar number or similar to your description, or someone just gave out a wrong address...?) Or maybe it was just some people looking for drugs indeed..

Karma? Hm, hard to say.. I wouldn't recommend playing violent video games like those zombies sound.. It can fill your mind with violent images, and there are theories you can attract into your life what your mind is filled with, so hm? (I don't dare watch Buffy or such anymore either :)) And maybe it would be good to hang out or talk to local people even at least a little bit, to know what's going on etc. (Maybe they're bored as hell and would appreciate your company?)

Glad you found your mouse, and everything was kept!
It may be a ping from the Universe to find other important things to do in life too!! (What if internet got cut like in Egypt or some other countries, what if Peak Oil survival guys are right and there may be energy problems/cuttage in the future?) Also, because 5+ hrs on computer causes depression and concentration/memory problems! It's good to have non-computer alternatives in your life...!!
Is there a club or society you could join, any interesting local events/gigs or poetry readings etc?

DespairSoul

Mokkat brrr that sound really like nightmare, im sorry to hear it, yeah maybe really was someone who u know and meet everyday be careful and maybe u will find out soon, yea definetly u should take care to get on your door more locks and dont open to no one till time what u will really know who is behind the door. Or u can make this thingie what u can see who stand on the floor, but yea if will be no light on floor u will se nothing anyways. Glad u feel better. Yeah interresting they dont took your money etc. maybe was really only some fun time for them? The most important that nothing happend to you!

Mokkat

These two guys were pretty much the stereotypical criminals or lesser drugdealers in my country: second generation immigrants from the Arabic part of the world, crude but experienced in method and tools (used a kitchen knife), aggressive in tone but not really physically unless you'd try something, etc. I dont blame people for being prejudiced against the children of muslim immigrants in this country, fare too many of them end up in gangs or other criminal activity...

I dont know anyone fitting that description. Also Ive only lived here for half a year, I dont know anyone in this town cept for some classmates. Most of the people living in these appartment blocks, and attending school (theyre mostly lived in by students) are girls, If they lived here they would stand out like a sore thumb.

At a few occasions in my life I have had the feeling of karma kicking in - once was I was younger, during a summer vacation before going to college and breaking down in front of my dad because of feeling down over not having any money, being generally depressed and lost/not knowing what to do with my life; as I cried the phone literally rang and I was offered a job by the only place I had ever (edit: successfully) applied to - a gas station store that I had sent an application to a whole year before. Made me wonder if I had help from somewhere. I had the same feeling after that robber incident: that I couldnt sink any lower. It felt awful wanting to cry my heart out over this, my whole situation, - and having literally noone to tell.
Im glad I can tell you guys on this forum, it helps

Last edited:

krs2snow

Mokkat, I'm really sorry u had to go through this awful ordeal. My sister and her husband had their house broken into the day before christmas eve. They came home w/their kids and interrupted the robbers, who fled when they heard the garage door open. Since then, my sister has been flooded w/ "what if" thoughts. Her husband goes out of town a good bit for work and she keeps thinking "What if he'd not been there" "What if she'd been home alone w/the kids when they broke in" What if the robbers had hurt someone in her family". Its such a violation of ur basic feelings of security to have someone force their way into ur home. For my sister, its been really emotional. I think it might be even harder for a guy. It must feel very emasculating for a man to have someone threaten him and force him do what they tell him. I'm wondering if u might have some feelings about this and that may be contributing to ur feelings of embarassment about the whole awful thing. But, it's in no way ur fault. Complying w/them was the smartest thing u could of done. Had u pulled the curtain and looked at them b4 opening the door, whose to say what would of happened. Maybe u still would of opened the door thinking it must be someone u know, maybe u'd of thought it was someone pulling a prank. Who knows. The "what ifs" are endless. But, I also wonder if the guys didn't case u out first. I don't mean to make u feel even more insecure but I mean, its pretty damn ballsy to knock on the door of a place ur gonna rob if u have no idea who's inside that door. I'm just specualting of course, but its possible they'd seen u around and thought u would have something of value to them. And decided they could "take" u on. A couple of low-life losers looking to get something for nothing. But its not for nothing, is it. Someone pays the price. I think u should try to open up to some of ur neighbors, classmates and let them know what happened. Talk about it w/pple. I think u'll find a lot of support from others and it may help u realize that what happened is not ur fault and u did nothing wrong. As for the karma thing, I think u can make the experience whatever it needs to be made into. The police told my sister that random acts of violence and home invasions happen all the time, for no apparent reason. But, the experience has taught her some things about herself and whats important to her. If u find u were at an all time low and this experience has hit that fact home to u, maybe its time to start making changes for urself. Maybe this was a wake-up call for u. Talk about ur experience and get ur feelings out there instead of holding them in. And don't only talk about it online. Talk to others face to face. Maybe these guys came into ur life at exactly the right time for u to realize the changes u need to make.

Last edited:

AGR

These two guys were pretty much the stereotypical criminals or lesser drugdealers in my country: second generation immigrants from the Arabic part of the world, crude but experienced in method and tools (used a kitchen knife), aggressive in tone but not really physically unless you'd try something, etc. I dont blame people for being prejudiced against the children of muslim immigrants in this country, fare too many of them end up in gangs or other criminal activity...

Yes ,I am ignorant of how immigration works in most countries,but it should be strict and the immigrants should be helped,checked,to many that ruin for the the other immigrants,being an immigrant myself I know.
I think a few number only should be allowed,this few people would have to study the native language at some school and would have someone following their progress and helping them and their sons,when they are integrated in society,only then should another wave of immigrants be allowed in imo of course repeating the same process or something like this.