Are your parents mean to you?

KiaKaha

Banned
No. I couldn't say that. They don't understand me and can be a little unsupportive sometimes. But I couldnt say that they are mean to me. I do argue with my father a lot tho.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Not as long as I can remember. They are not strict either. Not very strong anything really. My dad gets frustrated, but not mean really, maybe a little mean sometimes, not a lot.

Feathers

Thanks for the answers.. Mine are good people, I like, admire and respect them, maybe I just overreact sometimes..

We have quarreled a lot sometimes too..

Sometimes they have said mean stuff. I understand it's because they were angry, I still think parents shouldn't say such stuff (and be offended if you say anything back..)
Okay, CBT: it would be GREAT if parents didn't say or do such stuff..
I can understand their frustration with me, and my own frustration with me (and them), it's still frustrating sometimes..

Hope things get better...

EscapeArtist

Yeah I agree with ShyKiwi. They aren't mean.. because they still do care. Or, well, I'm not sure about my Dad because I really can't tell if I mean anything to him/haven't spoken to him in awhile. But, my mom, she cares, she is just..... so bad at handling people, and so obvlious to her words when she is angry/stressed/upset/depressed/afraid and unfortunately she is always angry/stressed/upset/depressed/afraid... A person who cannot even handle themselves, and then handles me in the same way. If anything, this causes us to both be mean to eachother. I know there's a good soul in there somewhere.. but GOD is it EVER in denial, paranoiad/harmful/fearful and defensive!

LovelyAmor

I can't say "parents" because my dad has never been in my life. My mom was always mean to me during my childhood. She mentally and emotionally abused me from elementary school up to high school when my anxiety just went through the roof. Well, she still continued even though she knew I was struggling with this. She would say stuff like: "Do I need to take you back to the psychiatrist?" , "You need to go take your medicine?", "There is seriously something wrong with you and I think I need to check you into a mental hospital." So yea...those comments really messed me up and damaged me. Oh! And I was teased and picked on severely in school too. That is why I have trouble relating to people my age. I feel more comfortable talking to adults (well im 18, but people OLDER than that).

My grandmother was the only one that I was ever close to and she passed away a year ago. My grandfather passed away in February of this year. We both lived with them and my mom could not afford to keep the house because she never worked and now that she is ill she cannot work. It was repossessed.

She has become nicer since their passing but it all still hurts. I'm a sophomore in college now and I call her once in a while because she is in California (im in NC) with my aunt. She is coming back soon hopefully but yea....she was pretty mean. ::(:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
My mother was pretty mean but I told her I forgive her. Her father was mean to her for what I know. Fortunately, I have no intention to have children so this tradition should stop there.

punklove

My mom can be a complete b*tch to me sometimes.. lately most of the time.
She loves me with all of her heart and makes that perfectly clear, HOWEVER sometimes she'll say the cruelest things to me and obviously hearing her say some of the things she says to me has a huge affect of the way I think of myself. For example she'll say things like: "Your using SA as an excuse to get whatever you want. It's just a cop out." It really hurts me when she says stuff like that...

My parents are seperated so my dad doesn't live with me sadly but whenever I get the chance to see him it's nice :) He always makes me laugh and smile... yet we still have serious conversations too :) I have a lot in common with my dad. Grrr I miss him I haven't seen him in almost two months.. Thinking about him now is making me kinda depressed so I think I'll just leave it at that ^^

Social_Monstrosity

Not at all. I'm thankful that my mom is my one and only friend. She understands me for who I am and can relate since she was a loner at my age (Minus the SA, of course).

But when I do think about it, it's kind of pathetic...I'm 19 and my only friend is my mom. I feel handicapped. I feel wasted.

My dad was an ass though, but he's out of my life, thankfully.

Kato

But when I do think about it, it's kind of pathetic...I'm 19 and my only friend is my mom.

I don't think you are pathetic. I believe it makes you stronger.At times in my life my mom was the only one I had as a friend. She brought me too this world.There is no better gift than that. I view a very close relationship to ones mother as a great strength.You cannot have a better friend than your mother.

Kathryn

My parents don't give enough of a damn to be angry. although my mom and dad do :eek:have a few outbursts now and then.

Kinetik

They were nasty to me growing up. These days they're a lot more mellow, but now they always seem to want things out of me, and they expect me to go along with it because we're family, even though I feel quite resentful of them in general.

lonely_drummer

my mom and i can be close at times, however when the mood strikes she can be very judgmental and usually just makes fun of me, usually for things pertaining to my SA but a lot of the humiliating is because of me being a musician. My dad isn't really mean, me and him haven't spoken to each other in about 2-3 years which makes the home living fairly awkward and tense at times. We just stopped talking to each other, he would usually show no interest in what I was ever saying or he would just completely ignore me. When we talked it would usually end up in arguments about the most pointless things, so I was tired of arguing and I just stopped talking to him which he probably likes better anyway, because he hasn't tried talking to me since. I got a feeling that hes just ashamed of me or something, who knows

Skooter

My dad was always nice to me. We got along quite well. He passed away in 04 though. ::(: My mom on the other hand is absolutely terrible.

applegirl

Honest to God my mom likes giving the silent treatment to my dad so much i am starting to think they should get a divorce. We're not a family. We don't talk. Conflicts are not resolved.

My mom's temper really left a scar on me while i grew up. she's so two faced. can be calm and collected and in the instant change into this person i don't even know. I can't talk to her about my feelings or emotional stuff because she has so much to do with it (in a bad way). she's never apologized for her mistakes. she is never going to change but i'll keep moving forward.

Acegame

When my mother was mad at me she could get hysterical and say very mean things that scared me. She could get mad for no clear reason and stay mad for about a week and totally ignore me. That made me feel horrible and guilty. This made it so uncomfortable at home for me at times. She also compared me allot to other people who she thought were handling things allot better than me. Or for example she made me do my own laundry when i had been playing football again and came home with grasstains on my pants (these things could make her mad for a couple of days). But i blame it on depression. She went through hard times back then. Now that i told her what is wrong with me she is very supportive and we never fight anymore (although i think she still underestimates the effect it has on me).

My dad is the best person i know in this world though. My sister and i joke about it sometimes, that if we would ask for a car he probably would get us one :p He is a little bit like me and finds it hard to show his feelings, but with his acts he shows how much he loves us and thats enough for me. Just wanted to add that...

Last edited: