Are Asian men less concerned about social anxiety?

etsveteran

It seems like there is always some news about an Asian man or country inventing a robot companion, an Asian man dying playing video games, an Asian man living by himself on an island (yesterday, from Japan), Asian men studying too hard etc... When I go to the local chess or Magic games, Asians are always over-represented.

I am curious if Asian men are less likely to feel odd about being anti-social or having fear of socializing or playing anti-social "quiet" board games. If more members of your race are anti-social, does it help you enjoy it?

Waybuloo

Well, I gather those Asian phenomenon you posted are probably referring to Japanese men in large. From what I gather from reading about Japanese culture and talking to my Japanese friend and watching Japanese films, there can be a culture of bullying and there is a real shame attached to it. Sometimes when victims commit suicide, the parents have to live in pain because they can't talk about it or seek retribution/punishment. There is a stigma attached to being weak.

The Japanese workplace places a premium on co-operation and team work and everybody must be involved. I think there must be a stigma attached also to being antisocial or shy.

From my experience with Asian people, they are the least shy. A lot of them may be nerdy because of upbringing or cultural conditioning, but being quiet and shy is seen as a problem, especially so as most people are very forward and can be insensitive.