Anyone work in music industry?

Feathers

Hey R2R,

hmm, I think you might have better luck on any music-related sites, like maybe Reverbnation or Slicethepie, or music/songwriting forums, are you on any? maybe even look where some of your favorite artists are signed or contact any up-n-coming artists or companies... Are you also an artist/band/performer?

If you're just learning recording, you might wanna hook up with any artists to hone your skills first, and maybe offer free/cheap/discounted demos or such... So you have some 'credits' to show...

Lots of artists/bands are going the indie way and recording in own studios/DIY at home and putting songs on iTunes via CDBaby or TuneCore or on own sites, I can see how IT background could be possibly helpful here too, or for a label...

Not sure how lucrative (or viable) a recording 'real job' would be... There was some discussion about this on some music biz forums, some 'old cats' were advising against opening own new 'real' recording studio... might wanna check how the situation is...

I know some artists can be a bit 'clueless' about biz aspects (or don't want to deal with those) so labels will probably stay, in some form... I think they're still sorta redefining themsleves and figuring things out...

You might first get some volunteering/experience/internship more locally? And then go internationally, when you've got better experience? If you already have that, and a portfolio of work, it may be easier...

Bands/artists can record demos for free (or discounted) at music recording schools or on 'open days' of recording studios, so maybe if you hook up with a band doing that (and offer to 'help'), you could meet people there and get some contacts?

Just some ideas... I do hope that maybe someone answers and can put you in touch with people who could help more directly, lol!

I have connections, PM me :) I loove music soo much. i'm a singer.
I hope I can help you :)

Last edited:

Feathers

You're welcome :)

I'm a singer/songwriter too, not so brave as Saskia though :)

I've been looking at some of these sites and there's quite some info online, and interesting people too... some have connections too...

Your skills may be appreciated in many places...

I've seen job offers and such advertised in some places online too, not sure which site that was on...
You might also wanna consider if you're willing to do this as volunteering too (probably easier to get), can you cover your own travel and living costs? or would like a paid opportunity (you might still get lucky).... (or a combination of both) or a combination with work from home or something like that...

You might even check places like Reverbnation or CDBaby or such, if they might offer internships... or are you looking for (at least some) recording studio hands-on experience specifically? You could have some paid and some unpaid work/volunteering experiences too... A great Irish band went to USA and worked on beaches (tourism/hospitaliy/waitressing and putting up umbrellas and such) and recorded their music alongside...

You can totally follow your dreams, sometimes it's good to find funding/financing in other places too... I've heard an interview the other day when someone (classical composer/conductor) said that conducting orchestra is like a 'paid job' for him and he doesn't ever listen to music just to enjoy it because he listens with 'pro ears' and analyzes every little thing... ('Train conductors don't go watch other trains arrive on station either' - I was like, huh?? lol) So sometimes it's good too if it's only a 'passion' and doesn't have to pay bills... Though of course it can be great if it pays bills too... :)

The way things are going with the music industry, maybe your degree will be even better for any of this! :)

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
I was in the music industry for a while as a performer. My manager used to say it's all about luck and who you know. Increase you contacts matey. Put out feelers, make yourself known. Be prapared to do a lot of work for free at first to get a name for yourself.

Googling advice gets you nowhere with this as it's all very closed ranks. If I was in your shoes I'd PM Saskia. She is from a music biz family :)

Last edited:

Feathers

I was in the music industry for a while as a performer. My manager used to say it's all about luck and who you know. Increase you contacts matey. Put out feelers, make yourself known. Be prapared to do a lot of work for free at first to get a name for yourself.

Wow, Remus, we didn't know this!! :) What kind of music did you perform? Did you write any of it too? And how was it all?

I know it can be stressful lol, just had a tiny taste of it... It's easy enough to get contacts and some luck, one needs to be quite BRAVE about it too, lol!!

Yeah, Feathers has a phobia of musicians and recording yikes!! Even had some offers to record demos in friends' DIY recording studios or even a 'real' one but wasn't brave enough to do it!! lol!