Anyone from Melbourne's South East ?

hippiejane

Anyone here from Melbourne's South Eastern Suburbs ? I am and I'm wondering what you do with your time and if you are having any treatments or councilling, where abouts andi if its working for you ?

Richey

Hi Jane
im from the south eastern suburbs, around the rowville area and have seen a shrink a few times and that has helped, i go to university and im trying to get some free-lance work in ind design. are you undergoing treatment at all? im still hesitant about taking medication because i think that its more a problem of facing my fears

hippiejane

Hi Richey,

Great to hear from someone close by, I'm in the Keysborough area. I have been having sessions with a brilliant psychologist for almost 2 years now. Its great because she sees no reason do take medication for the SA?SP either which is very much my opinion also. If I was to take medication for it, sure I'd be fine but I'd never rally know why I have SA?SP in the first place and be able to fix it, I'd be living through the drugs. I got to a point where I could manage going to a group session, but they keep postponing the start date because they can't get enough people :(

I wish I could have gone to UNI, but no money and too freaked out to do it, your lucky :)

lonesomeboy

glen waverley here.

too scared to see a psychiatrist atm, but iam seriously considering trying it as i dont want to be like this anymore.

hippiejane

Hi lonesomeboy,

Well you are lucky, you actually live close to 2 social phobia centres. I wish I did :(
I totally recommend you going to see someone, it does help, believe me. Before I saw someone about it, I was stuck in the house and freaked out at everything. Now I am alot better, it really does help. Also knowing that the people who are helping you know everything there is to know about SP, makes it easier to talk to them, they deal with people like us all the time.

Heres 2 links to get you going (I really wanted to go to the glenreach one but its too far for me):

Glen Reach
Provides support to assist people develop confidence, skills, social relationships and community connections.
688 Waverley Road, Glen Waverley 3150
9545 3688
www.glenreach.net.au

Panic & Anxiety Disorders Assistance(PADA)
Psychologists at PADA work with people with Social Phobia both individually and in groups.
222 Burke Road, Glen Iris 3146
9886-9400