Anyone experienced Paroxetine 'Paxil' for depression?

Subpop

My mood has gradually been sliding south the past 6 months and it has been suggested that I trial Paxil in order to help prevent my mood from becoming worse. Has anyone here had any experience with Paxil, be it good, bad or indifferent?

Kathryn5

Paxil is the only drug that's helped my anxiety/depression without severely compromising my cognitive abilities. Before I started taking it I was completely house-bound due to my anxiety. I was also severely depressed to the point of attempting suicide multiple times. Paxil helped me so much that I was able to go back to school and eventually get a job. I know drugs are different for everyone but for me Paxil was a God send.

Ill

I took paxil some time ago for a little while. It didn't really seem to do much for me, but I did experience a few unpleasant side effects. The worst of those would be weight gain and these weird electric zaps in my brain. Coming off the medication was absolutely horrible too, I was so sick. I did stop taking it suddenly though rather than slowly lowering the dosage. Withdrawal may not be so bad if done gradually. You can try paxil, because I know it has worked for some people. I'm sure not everyone experiences negative side effects, or at least have the positive ones to outweigh them. The only way to really know if it works for you is to try it out. I hope you find a way to elevate your mood again!

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I use it and it's done an epic job so far. I've gained weight... but I think I'd rather gain some weight than be depressed.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I liked it alright, but I gained a metric ton and seemed to get winded very easily. I also had... romantic side effects that were particularly ironic, since Paxil helped me to have a dating life for the first time since high school. :/

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
You gained it because it made you hungrier?

I'm gaining weight, but not for the pill itself, but because I'm very hungry since I started taking it.

I think it was a few things.

It messed with my metabolism, it made me hungrier, and it made me less self-conscious because it was taking the edge off my anxiety and social phobia.

I gained it fast, too. My psychiatrist was alarmed when I showed up for my med-check after not seeing me for six weeks. :eek:

bsammy

Paxcil helped in ways, hurt in others..

it helped my anxiety but also made me apathetic and lethargic..i put on weight pretty quick, about 20 pounds..all i wanted to do on paxil is lay around and sleep..Paxil put me in a fuzzy state of contentment but its artificial...yes, it ruined my already weak sex drive..i got off of it..